PDA

View Full Version : I bought an AVI sub-woofer last thursday.

jcbrum
17-03-2008, 11:53
I visited the AVI works last thursday, and purchased their current two wire sub.

I find that most of the time it isn't necessary with adm9's but the room is the deciding factor.

Wishing to evaluate its usefulness further I connected it straight to my wireless dac (you could just as easily connect it straight to your phono stage) and set the output level with the level control on the sub. I used five clicks or obout 20% of full volume.

Then I used the sub to feed the rest of a conventional system, by using the line outputs on the sub (which are full frequency btw) to feed the line in on a pair of monoblocks and speakers. You could just as easily use whatever amp (even valves if you must) you have handy to drive your ordinary loudspeakers as "satellites".

I chose to use a pair of Neutron IV's, which are very small indeed, only 5" wide and 10" tall, and the results were SUPERB.

I hid the sub behind the TV stand, and it looked like a very discreet system. What a sound though !

I had been evaluating s/h ATC 100a's, so as to be able to "converse" with 'blzebub' (what's happened to him ?) on equal terms, but they outdid the ATC's easily in terms of sound quality. The performance on female voice was absolutely stunning.

And the setup is so cheap !, only £1500 for all three speakers and all three amps, inc monoblocks. !

Admittedly if you use it as an analogue system with a record player you'l need a pre amp or volume control somewhere, and if you use it as digital with a mac or pc you'll need a dac, but an edirol UA25 does everthing you need for £130, and an M-Audio 2496 is only £50.

This has to be the bargain of the century, and bears close perusal by any one who wants to get rid of their "big-old-legacy-separates".