PDA

View Full Version : JEFF BECK Live at the Ulster Hall 30 June 2009

Spectral Morn
01-07-2009, 09:39
Have any of you ever received a Christmas present you haven't actually got for many months after the giving ? Well I have. Was it worth the wait ? Indeed it was. The Christmas present was in the form of tickets for Jeff Becks first visit to Northern Ireland ever. In all his many years of playing since the Yardbirds he has never performed on any stage here. Well he well and truly made up for it last night.

Not only did Jeff bring his own talent, but also that of Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Tal Wilkenfield on bass and Jason Rebello on keyboards. This line up was amazing and very tight. I have been a fan of Jason Rebello for years and love his own solo albums, as well as his work with other artists such as Sting. Tal Wilkerfield from Australia at 23 is a rising star of the bass guitar. In her short life so far she has recorded her own album and performed with many well known musicians such as Chick Corea. Her talent is being compared to the likes of Jaco Pastorius, high praise indeed; born out by her contribution during tonights concert. Vinnie Colaiuta has been a massive talent in so many bands and recordings over the years, so much so that it would be unfair to single any one out, but short to say he is a very talented drummer.

Tall Wilkenfieldhttp://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/guitar.jpg Vinnie Colaiuta http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/drummer.jpg

The show began promptly at 9 o'clock, with Jeff and his band receiving a rapturous greeting from the Belfast audience, which was quite large despite The Eagles also being in town on the same night. I would have thought, it not being a stretch to suppose that quite a few music lovers had to make a choice about who to see this particular night. For me it was an easy choice, but if the tickets had not been a present...I would still have picked Jeff over the Eagles.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/Photo-0011.jpg

I must confess to not being totally knowledgeable about Jeff's back catalogue of work, but within a few minutes he had played some of my fave tracks, The Pump and Beyond the Veil. Rather than reproduce the tracks as carbon copies of the album, Jeff and band re-imagined them, and while I love the originals the live versions were awesome too. The band played quite a few tracks of the album Jeff Beck's Guitar shop which pleased me a lot, the afore mentioned Beyond the Veil was joined by Guitar Shop and as part of the encore Two Rivers; which Is an amazing exercise in low level playing control; being as it is, a delicate interplay between guitar and keyboards.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/Photo-0012.jpg

Jeff Beck at his besthttp://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/0009a7e9_medium.jpgJeff Beck and Tall Wilkenfieldhttp://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/jeff_beck.jpg

Despite not knowing all the music played Jeff and band kept my attention through out the concert. However the blight of many modern concerts came into play during the gig, audience chatter. Why pay to see a band when all you want to do is talk ? Its frankly beyond me why anyone would pay (and potentially a lot of money...many concerts are ridiculously expensive now) to listen to themselves talk and not watch the band/musician. If you want to do such things at concerts then can I strongly recommend that you don't.... because I and others didn't pay to hear you !

The interplay between the musicians was very good and tight. Vinnie has been part of Jeff's touring band for the last two years and despite Tal and Jason joining him fairly recently it was as if they had been playing together for many years. I was impressed with Tal who over the years to come, will I feel take her place among the greats of the bass guitar. Her playing tonight was excellent and during one part of the concert she was joined on her bass guitar by Jeff. The two played together on the one instrument, with Tal playing the notes low down and Jeff further up the neck of the bass. The extra notes, texture and harmonics were breathtaking and the sound had hints of the Chapman stick bass. I am quite sure that it is hard to have two musicians play a bass guitar at the same time....the result was worth the effort.

Jeff Beck genius at work
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/jeff_beck_2009.jpg

Jeff is a man of few words only speaking at the end of the concert. "This is my first time here" he said. The audience shouted back "please come back again".."I will" he replied. I hope so, as it is rare to see and hear this type of jazz, rock and blues played in this neck of the woods and with such virtuosity. Jeff and band I want to echo the audiences request..."Please come and play again....you were brilliant".

The sound quality at this concert was very good, so applause and thanks go to the sound guys behind the desk, and all those who set it all up.

This was also my first time back in the newly renovated Ulster Hall. To all those who worked so hard to bring this grand old hall back to the condition of its birth....great job, well done.

The revamped Ulster Hall
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/UH1UlsterHallC.jpg

Sadly some of the photos taken did not turn out very well(mobile phone camera errrrrr), so I have had to supplement mine with some of the net. I will take a proper camera to the next gig I go too.

Regards D S D L

Barry
01-07-2009, 10:01
Once again an excellent write up Neil. Glad you enjoyed the concert. Haven't seen Beck for nearly twenty years. Try to listen to his first recording: 'Truth' (and play it loud!).

Choice between the Eagles and Beck? - no competion!

Regards

PS Good news about your Quad.

Spectral Morn
01-07-2009, 10:14
Once again an excellent write up Neil. Glad you enjoyed the concert. Haven't seen Beck for nearly twenty years. Try to listen to his first recording: 'Truth' (and play it loud!).

Choice between the Eagles and Beck? - no competion!

Regards

PS Good news about your Quad.

Thanks Barry

I must confess that I only have two of Jeff's albums, There and Back and Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, but last nights concert has fired me up to get more.

Yes one lot down, one to go.

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
01-07-2009, 17:22
Looks and sounds like you have a fantastic time Neil. I will have to see what is on when I am over, even if I will be in Donegal....

Spectral Morn
01-07-2009, 18:00
Looks and sounds like you have a fantastic time Neil. I will have to see what is on when I am over, even if I will be in Donegal....

Hi Steve

It was a great gig with great sound and a possibly unique occasion to see such a talent. I say that just in case he doesn't come back.

Yes it will be worth your looking in whats on in Donegal during the time you are over.

Regards D S D L

John
01-07-2009, 19:03
Jeff is a master guitar player and his backing band is so tight so far my favourite album of the yearis Performing This Week just awesome I just ordered the blu ray dvd
Agree with Barry between the Eagles and Jeff no choice

Spectral Morn
01-07-2009, 20:45
Jeff is a master guitar player and his backing band is so tight so far my favourite album of the yearis Performing This Week just awesome I just ordered the blu ray dvd
Agree with Barry between the Eagles and Jeff no choice

Yes I think the Eagles are treading water and £90 for the cheap seats is a RIP OFF IMHO. No I am glad that Jeff had while not a full house at least a fairly full one. I don't think its a stretch, that Eagles and Jeff Beck fans are not mutually exclusive. The choice would have been easy for me, but for others maybe not.

Regards D S D L

Barry
02-07-2009, 00:35
Yes I think the Eagles are treading water and £90 for the cheap seats is a RIP OFF IMHO. No, I am glad that Jeff had, while not a full house, at least a fairly full one. I don't think it's a stretch, that Eagles and Jeff Beck fans are not mutually exclusive. The choice would have been easy for me, but for others maybe not.

Regards D S D L

£90! - Gordon Bennett, that is over the top. No question then, Jeff Beck definitely!

Regards

Spectral Morn
02-07-2009, 09:13
£90! - Gordon Bennett, that is over the top. No question then, Jeff beck definitively!

Regards

Concert ticket prices for so called top flight artists have over the last 5 years or so, have gone through the roof. Its crazy that groups like the Eagles and others can ask these sort of prices. I know its not just the groups involved in ticket pricing and some times not at all but are they aware of the costs. Some may be. I was at a gig a few years ago were the group's (The Blue Nile) lead singer thanked us for coming and commented on the ticket cost...he thought it was too dear and was doubly appreciative of us as an audience for paying it. IMHO the ticket cost for the Blue Nile was the bargain of the century. I think it was £20 or so. Jeff Beck was £33 seated in the balcony area. Thats about as much as I would want to pay to see any group...though I have paid more when coming to London, but that was for a weekend in the city so IMHO was just about okay.

Anyway based on the Eagles last studio album it would be MHO that they are past it now and not worth £90 + .

Regards D S D L

Barry
02-07-2009, 13:55
Agreed Neil,

I think £35 is about as much as I would want to pay for any concert ticket.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
02-07-2009, 18:30
Sounds like it was a great gig, Neil. I'm very jealous. I've wanted to see him for so long and have never yet had the chance.

You should compare the first Beck album to Led Zeppelin 1 & then look at the recording dates - It's interesting!