PDA

View Full Version : I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects

CageyH
03-04-2014, 20:37
I'm thinking of upgrading a couple of my interconnects.
What I am interested to know is just how much "better" the Graham Slee CuSat or REFFC Pluto will be than something like a VDH D102 mk III.

What will the new cables do for my system? It seems that they are based on a high quality coax, so what are the major benefits?

hifinutt
07-04-2014, 19:38
the only way to try is to buy
I love my van den hul first ultimate but the RFC Neptune [£]100 has done very good service between 20k`s worth of amps for some months !!! good vfm

MartinT
08-04-2014, 06:14
Kevin, it's very hard to make any sort of recommendation based on so little information. Between which components? What are you using at the moment? How do you find its sound, and what are you expecting from new interconnects that improves on it? Finally, what is your budget?

DSJR
08-04-2014, 10:00
My own take on this is that in the wide scheme of things, wanky wires, plugs and kettle leads make either naff-all difference unless you're 'tuned-in' to these tiny if not imagined differences (either that or the gear they're used with is sub-standard on some way...), due to the speaker/room interface usually being total cack in most cases domestically.

My advice is to start with a really good £20-ish interconnect from an online maker (MG, NVA, Flashback all do suitable candidates) and proceed from there, making sure you can return the cables if you don't like them. For fifty to one hundred notes, the choice opens further and there a at least a couple more people you could add to the list (RFC?) possibly. Much more than that and you're into foo territory IMO.

MartinT
08-04-2014, 10:45
All good advice, Dave, but it's still hard to advise Kevin without knowing some parameters. Mark Grant G1000HD would be my default excellent cable for not a lot of money, then take it from there.

nat8808
08-04-2014, 12:46
Certainly cables made by the seller, RFFC, MCRU, Mark Grant etc etc are going to far better value than those made by a brand and sold by a dealer...

CageyH
09-04-2014, 15:22
I want some interconnects to run between my Reflex M phono stage into my Solo Ultra Linear headphone amp, running HD650's. This is what I listen to my SL1200 (MNB, FX1200 + 2M Black etc.) on most, as it does not disturb the Mrs too much. The platter will also be upgraded, but I am not sure with which one yet!

The plan is to sort this out with two cables (as it passes through the amp).
After this is done, my next stage will be to start looking at what else needs doing to my system, but that will be the subject of another thread.

Budget? Happier closer to £100 a set, but if the difference is not subtle, I am prepared to go slightly higher, but not much. Obviously, the cheaper the better as I am on my continued search for best bang for my buck.

I was thinking of either the CuSat (trial cables incoming), Pluto MkII, Super Sound Cords or MG G1500HD. I also have some trial cables coming from MCRU, but I have no idea what they are yet.
I'm staying away from the main stealers if at all possible. I have learnt that lesson, which is why I stopped buying HiFi mags years ago.

MCRU
09-04-2014, 17:03
My own take on this is that in the wide scheme of things, wanky wires, plugs and kettle leads make either naff-all difference unless you're 'tuned-in' to these tiny if not imagined differences (either that or the gear they're used with is sub-standard on some way...), due to the speaker/room interface usually being total cack in most cases domestically.

My advice is to start with a really good £20-ish interconnect from an online maker (MG, NVA, Flashback all do suitable candidates) and proceed from there, making sure you can return the cables if you don't like them. For fifty to one hundred notes, the choice opens further and there a at least a couple more people you could add to the list (RFC?) possibly. Much more than that and you're into foo territory IMO.

P.S. AVOID INTERCONNECTS BOUGHT FROM DEALERS, as they will almost certainly garner a 60% profit margin for said dealer (75% for Black Rhodium if stocked in quantity). The choice is yours...

Dave you are WRONG about margins, please do not post information that is plainly mis-leading and factually in-correct.

DSJR
09-04-2014, 17:07
Please, I didn't mean to say main dealers are 'stealers' at all, but knowing the very slow business many of them are doing (and a few of our favourites here couldn't really make a good living out of it nowadays unless they did it from home and mainly online...), I do understand that they need the huge markups to help make up for lack of business. HOWEVER, we at AOS are truly blessed with the likes of Mark Grant, who doesn't rip off on the HD1000. The HD1500 is the price the original HD1000's were IIRC and the only thing I question is the huge price of the 2000's - all for a set of wanky phono plugs that may well be bettered by the new Eichman designed ones at £40 a set - Hmmm...

Here's the above being typed by a twonk who is seriously considering two hundred quids worth of speaker cables :rolleyes: Is there no end to this madness??? :rofl:

MCRU
09-04-2014, 17:21
Please, I didn't mean to say main dealers are 'stealers' at all, but knowing the very slow business many of them are doing (and a few of our favourites here couldn't really make a good living out of it nowadays unless they did it from home and mainly online...), I do understand that they need the huge markups to help make up for lack of business. HOWEVER, we at AOS are truly blessed with the likes of Mark Grant, who doesn't rip off on the HD1000. The HD1500 is the price the original HD1000's were IIRC and the only thing I question is the huge price of the 2000's - all for a set of wanky phono plugs that may well be bettered by the new Eichman designed ones at £40 a set - Hmmm...

Here's the above being typed by a twonk who is seriously considering two hundred quids worth of speaker cables :rolleyes: Is there no end to this madness??? :rofl:

You still need to remove your remarks about profit margins as they are in-correct and tbh its a bit out of order quoting any sort of figures in public when you have no real idea about it?

Marco
09-04-2014, 18:24
Incorrect proft margin estimations now removed.

I'll comment more on this topic later :)

Marco.

MartinT
09-04-2014, 18:27
For £100 budget, the Mark Grant G1000HD would remain my recommendation.

walpurgis
09-04-2014, 19:02
I suppose, if it wasn't for 'trade'. We wouldn't be buying much at all! :)

jandl100
09-04-2014, 19:26
RFC Pluto Mk2 - astonishingly good for £105. (Or many times that, imho) :)

barry-potter
09-04-2014, 19:50
You still need to remove your remarks about profit margins as they are in-correct and tbh its a bit out of order quoting any sort of figures in public when you have no real idea about it?

what is your profit margin then?

DSJR
09-04-2014, 19:58
Dave you are WRONG about margins, please do not post information that is plainly mis-leading and factually in-correct.

I am NOT AT ALL factually incorrect! Who the heck do you think I'm talking about? I was trying to defend the likes of you FFS! There are retail dealers selling gear (not fuggin add-on accessories) who rely on cables for the margin as either business is very slow or deals have to be done. You are not one of these are you?

I was in audio retail for over thirty years and I PROMISE you I know the margins dealers work at, especially on add-ons. I was even a southern sales rep for a cable and IC manufacturer for a couple of years (a period I wish to forget for various reasons) and know full well how the chains operate.

DSJR
09-04-2014, 20:04
Incorrect proft margin estimations now removed.

I'll comment more on this topic later :)

Marco.

No Marco, you're incorrect here, for reasons given above. The company I represented (long gone now) offered 55% to dealers who stocked a fair range, a competitor based not far from the darker side of Salisbury offered 60% plus fancy presentation rack and a northern cable supplier who changed their name a good few years ago offered 75% margin if the full range was stocked. A large UK chain took the first and a mainly southern chain took the second across their shops I remember at the time. Speaker manufacturers have also been squeezed by the dealer chains too, 50% being achievable and one I believe having to offer 60% as long as a big order is made each time.

I didn't even think the online suppliers who sell much of their wares here would think themselves included in my comments. I know Mark Grant and the excellent service he gives and am sure Paul's £100 wire is excellent and possibly better for those who's ears and systems are up to it.

Andrei
09-04-2014, 21:22
Kevin
No recommendation as such, but:
Have a gander at http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/design-of-interconnects/ . It will help you identify what you are looking for.
I think I am right in saying one of the advantages of purchasing from AoS trade members is that you can get a custom length.

Marco
09-04-2014, 21:33
I didn't even think the online suppliers who sell much of their wares here would think themselves included in my comments...

Unfortunately, one of them did, as the distinction you were making between different types of hi-fi dealerships wasn't clear, even if in your head it was ;)

However, Dave, fair enough. I get where you're coming from now and apologise for the misunderstanding. I guess that Brooky considers himself to be a 'dealer' as much as those with high-street shops, so when you wrote earlier:

"AVOID INTERCONNECTS BOUGHT FROM DEALERS, as they will almost certainly garner a 60% profit margin for said dealer (75% for Black Rhodium if stocked in quantity)."

He thought (as indeed I did) you were having a pop at him and referring to his profit margins, which as only he knows exactly how much stuff is costing him, only he knows.

In any case, as this is a hi-fi forum and not an on-line business profit & loss assessment form, the discussion should centre around issues pertaining to hi-fi/sound quality, and recommending suitable interconnects to the OP on that basis, who of course can decide for himself whether something is worth the asking price or not.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
09-04-2014, 21:38
Hi Jonny,

what is your profit margin then?

With respect, that's Dave's business. If he chooses to reveal that information or not, it's up to him.

Marco.

MCRU
09-04-2014, 21:57
The OP has 2 of my interconnects on the way to try, only because I had them on my burn in machine ready to sell and I
was sending him some solder anyway so at least he gets something around £100 from me to try against the usual suspects :)

Recommendations are great but it's only ever going to be just that, recommendations based on what 1 particular person
someone has heard themselves, that person has probably only ever heard a fraction of what's available, certainly no one
has EVER heard the cables I sent Kevin as the plugs and wire have never been combined before.

May turn out to be crap but it's worth a try. :)

CageyH
10-04-2014, 17:38
Are cables the most emotive subject in HiFi land? :lol:
My CuSat trial cables are at the post office. These have to go back, so it's only going to cost me the postage.
I am interested to see what Mr MCRU has sent me, it's going to be fun trying this against the cables I have now, which will be my reference.

CageyH
13-04-2014, 11:13
Since posting this thread, I have been playing with interconnects.
I have reconfigured my system to isolate the interconnect as much as possible, so for vinyl, I have the tone arm cable connected to the phono stage, and the test interconnect between that and the Headphone amp.
For CD, it's direct to the headphone amp.

The Interconnects I am playing with at the moment are:
MG Canare LV61S
Cambridge Audio Pacific
Van den Hul D102MkIII
Van de Hul MC The Source
Black Rhodium Coda with KLE Harmony Silver plated plugs in a "twisted pair" configuration
And what I am lead to believe are the same cables in a standard configuration.

So, cables costing from £27.50 to about £100, and to my ears the differences are subtle.
I am not quite sure which I prefer at the moment, so I will continue to have a listen and narrow it down to a couple to put up against the CuSat which I am picking up on Tuesday.
As the MG Canare LV61S is 75 Ohm Coax - I don't see that a different Coax able is going to be massively different, but I hope I am in for a surprise.

I'll post my two favourites/preferred cables up in a bit.

MCRU
13-04-2014, 11:24
Since posting this thread, I have been playing with interconnects.
I have reconfigured my system to isolate the interconnect as much as possible, so for vinyl, I have the tone arm cable connected to the phono stage, and the test interconnect between that and the Headphone amp.
For CD, it's direct to the headphone amp.

The Interconnects I am playing with at the moment are:
MG Canare LV61S
Cambridge Audio Pacific
Van den Hul D102MkIII
Van de Hul MC The Source
Black Rhodium Coda with KLE Harmony Silver plated plugs in a "twisted pair" configuration
And what I am lead to believe are the same cables in a standard configuration.

So, cables costing from £27.50 to about £100, and to my ears the differences are subtle.
I am not quite sure which I prefer at the moment, so I will continue to have a listen and narrow it down to a couple to put up against the CuSat which I am picking up on Tuesday.
As the MG Canare LV61S is 75 Ohm Coax - I don't see that a different Coax able is going to be massively different, but I hope I am in for a surprise.

I'll post my two favourites/preferred cables up in a bit.

little tip mate, if your tone arm cable is touching the edge of your rack as it goes from tt or phono stage to amplifier put a squidgy bit of rubber if you have one anywhere underneath the cable to rest it on
and stop it being in direct touch with the surface of the rack, sorbothane or some similar material if you have anything, most cables benefit from this small tweak

YNWaN
13-04-2014, 11:54
Do you think that will make any difference Dave - I guess you do?

Gordon Steadman
13-04-2014, 11:57

I used to do that until it fell off without me noticing at all. I guess I got the message.

MCRU
13-04-2014, 12:07

At last years MCRU fest there were about 6-10 people sat listening to one of my systems, David Price put a sorbothane pad underneath the tone arm cables to stop them touching the rack

Instant improvement to everyone there, not massive but certainly audible

Stratmangler
13-04-2014, 12:31
At last years MCRU fest there were about 6-10 people sat listening to one of my systems, David Price put a sorbothane pad underneath the tone arm cables to stop them touching the rack

I was there.
It works.

CageyH
13-04-2014, 12:36
Thanks for the tip.

Bottom of the list - Van den Hul MC the Source - I was quite surprised by that, closely followed by the Van den Hul D102MkIII.
I am finding that it's close between the others, but the Van den Hul's sounded slightly muffled.

The biggest surprise to me is just how good the Cambridge Audio Pacific (yellow ones) are sounding. It's a copper shielded coax cable by the looks of things. If I had to criticise it in any way, it would be a very slightly boomy bass.
The sound is very similar to the Mark Grant Canare LV61S, but the Pacific seems to have a little more detail.

The Coda sounds nice, but the treble sounds a bit flustered at times when there is a lot going on. It's got very clear, punchy bass, and the midrange is excellent.
I wanted two cables to try against the CuSat, but so far I have ended up with four. Two coax based, and two based on the twisted pair construction.
More listening is required, but I am struggling to find an immediately big enough difference between the £30 Coax and the more expensive cables to justify additional expenditure.
It's just a shame I only have one pair of the Cambridge Audio and MG Canare LV61S.

Macca
13-04-2014, 13:13
The biggest surprise to me is just how good the Cambridge Audio Pacific (yellow ones) are sounding. It's a copper shielded coax cable by the looks of things. If I had to criticise it in any way, it would be a very slightly boomy bass.
The sound is very similar to the Mark Grant Canare LV61S, but the Pacific seems to have a little more detail.

Interesting since I have both those cables and would describe them pretty much exactly as you have.

Have you got a testing methodology or are you just listening to what takes your fancy?

I used the into from AC-DC's 'Live Wire' which is just a bass guitar and a (I think) Gibson Explorer recorded with the mike close to the guitar amp. There is some fret buzz from the guitar and it was quite clear that all the different cables I tested presented this differently. Since I sort of play guitar I know what this would sound like 'for real' which made evaluating the cables pretty easy. Anyway just food for thought.

CageyH
13-04-2014, 13:24
The Black Rhodium Coda interconnects I have consist of a stereo pair which have been twisted together, and a pair of individual cables (which have been overbraided, so I am not 100% sure that they are the same cable).
I quite like the sound of the traditional stereo pair that I am listening to now, and I am going to see if I can hear an audible difference between this and the previous pair.

I'd happily bin the VDH for these, the CA Pacific or the MG cable.
I can also only assume that the newer MG cables are better, as these Canare based cables are currently my least preferred of what I have left.

CageyH
13-04-2014, 13:27
Interesting since I have both those cables and would describe them pretty much exactly as you have.

Have you got a testing methodology or are you just listening to what takes your fancy?

I used the into from AC-DC's 'Live Wire' which is just a bass guitar and a (I think) Gibson Explorer recorded with the mike close to the guitar amp. There is some fret buzz from the guitar and it was quite clear that all the different cables I tested presented this differently. Since I sort of play guitar I know what this would sound like 'for real' which made evaluating the cables pretty easy. Anyway just food for thought.

My testing methodology?
Playing 1 track at a time of the same album before switching the cable and replaying the track - repeat until I am sure of which cable I like. Then try and justify/note why.
I wish I had bought a few more of the Yellow Pacific instead of going for the Magazine hyped D102! That would have saved me a fortune.

CageyH
13-04-2014, 14:03
The Black Rhodium Coda interconnects I have consist of a stereo pair which have been twisted together, and a pair of individual cables (which have been overbraided, so I am not 100% sure that they are the same cable).
I quite like the sound of the traditional stereo pair that I am listening to now, and I am going to see if I can hear an audible difference between this and the previous pair.

I'd happily bin the VDH for these, the CA Pacific or the MG cable.
I can also only assume that the newer MG cables are better, as these Canare based cables are currently my least preferred of what I have left.

I can't hear a difference between the two Coda interconnects. They would certainly be good for a bright system.

YNWaN
13-04-2014, 14:30

Hmm...

I was at a demo hosted by Alan Sircom once. He was demoing the difference between two interconnects; after he had played the second one, which he had said was the better, he asked for a show of hands if people thought the second one was indeed better. Most of the people in the room raised their hand to show agreement; he then admitted that he hadn't changed anything...

The whole thing was very enlightening.

Stratmangler
13-04-2014, 20:07
Hmm...

I was at a demo hosted by Alan Sircom once. He was demoing the difference between two interconnects; after he had played the second one, which he had said was the better, he asked for a show of hands if people thought the second one was indeed better. Most of the people in the room raised their hand to show agreement; he then admitted that he hadn't changed anything...

Very interesting.
In the MCRU case DP didn't ask if anyone heard a difference.
A subtle improvement in SQ was mentioned by the audience, and then DP spilled the beans.

realysm42
15-04-2014, 14:25
I used the logic "no component is the best component" when trying new cables.

The background was staggeringly silent.

CageyH
23-04-2014, 20:10
I bought some super sound cords from ebay.
For the money, it's a really good sounding interconnect. It does not look anything special, but as it sounds so good, and I can't see it, who cares.

To my ears it sounds just as good as the more expensive Graham Slee CuSat I have on trial.
It's very neutral sounding, and just does not seem to get in the way. It just lets the music flow, as any good cable should. I think this will be staying.

The rest of the week hopefully will bring some even better cables to my door from the like of REFFC and. Mark Grant. I'll finally be able to get rid of my VDH cables. :cool:

Andrei
23-04-2014, 21:28
Hmm...

The same music I suppose. This highlights a psycho-acoustic issue. The same music should sound different on the second hearing. I don't think there is any black magic in this. At the first hearing you are listening 'blind' (hmmm) but on the second go you already have that recent familiarity. In fact I can imagine that if the music was boring it could sound worse on the second hearing. Prima facie it does seem a bit odd and I guess there were some sheep who followed but I would not have been embarrassed if I had stuck my hand up on the second go.

nat8808
24-04-2014, 06:51

Did you do an impromptue detailed questionaire of everyone there or were there just a couple of people there or etc etc?

Or is the line a bit of anecdotal creative licence?

nat8808
24-04-2014, 06:57
Hmm...

Same thing happens in certain evangelical churches. Someone I know said her childhood involved a few healing events, the guy kept pushing and pushing on her head and wouldn't stop so she fell or something just to make it stop and get off the stage knowing it was all so much bollox, which is tough and confusing for a child, let alone an Audiophile.. Of course, in the same way, the child is told that they are wrong and bad for simply not believing strongly enough - psychological abuse really.

And the same goes for many other, more subtle situations like hobbies and so instead of the shame or being shunned by the community for being deaf or close minded (i.e. not believing enough) they will put up their hand to say "they felt the power of God too!" .

The Black Adder
24-04-2014, 09:09
My testing methodology?
Playing 1 track at a time of the same album before switching the cable and replaying the track - repeat until I am sure of which cable I like. Then try and justify/note why.
I wish I had bought a few more of the Yellow Pacific instead of going for the Magazine hyped D102! That would have saved me a fortune.

Do a second test but this time pausing the track and not restarting it. You should be able to hear a much more concise difference.. if there is any.

CageyH
25-04-2014, 11:43
More cables arrived this morning.
Mark Grant G2000HD and RFC Pluto and Mercury, both in the Mk2 flavour. It's raining outside, and I had planned to cut the grass.
I guess I had better find something else to occupy my time, like listening to these cables to see which one does it for me in my system.

jandl100
27-04-2014, 06:44
I'd personally love a whole loom of RFC IC's, I dont think Paul would be too happy doing that though. :(

If you chivvy up the £moolah I am sure Paul will be delighted to make you a full RFC cable loom for you to keep. ;)

jandl100
27-04-2014, 07:03
Hey, you buggers, you've convinced me to invest in a pair of the new RFC Mercury Mk2. :doh: I seem to be using integrated amps these days so a 'full i/c loom' for me is just one pair. :)

CageyH
27-04-2014, 08:27
You know you'll like it. I find it better than the Pluto. The difference is pretty much as Paul has written on the website. I took that with a pinch of salt as I expected it to be a sales patter, but I was disappointed to find out it was true! :doh:
I really like the cable, but keep trying the Pluto to try and save £60, :lol:

It's not working though...

jandl100
27-04-2014, 08:36
Hmm. I reviewed the original Mercury on Hifi Pig and I recall liking it a lot but it being just a little too easy going for me. The Pluto mk2 is more upfront and obviously lively (to my ears) and suits some kit well - but my current amp is also a bit on the lively side, so I'm thinking that a slightly more 'sophisticated' presentation from the new Mercury2 (which I expect the new Eichmann plugs to have livened up a bit, they did that with the Plutos) should work well together.
No way am I selling the Pluto2 though, I can imagine that doing very nicely indeed with other amps/components. :)

Wakefield Turntables
27-04-2014, 09:22
If you chivvy up the £moolah I am sure Paul will be delighted to make you a full RFC cable loom for you to keep. ;)

I would but I've just chivvied up some moolah for some upgrades to the other valve system I own. BUGGER. :eek:

Hey, you buggers, you've convinced me to invest in a pair of the new RFC Mercury Mk2. :doh: I seem to be using integrated amps these days so a 'full i/c loom' for me is just one pair. :)

HA! That put a smile on my face! There's nowt wrong with integrated amps, I have a lovely old Sansui AU717 I use from time to time, ace bit of kit!

Tarzan
28-04-2014, 15:54
Pluto Mk2 a no brainer Jerry?

LittleTone
01-05-2014, 13:53
Kevin
I own a pair of NVA SoundCords and a pair of RFC Reference Pluto Mk1. In my system I only need one pair of IC's; between Mytek DAC and Rega Brio R. The Plutos with their beautiful tonal balance, information retrieval, imaging etc etc definitely come out on top.
The Plutos just sound right. The SoundCords on the other hand sound a bit brash by comparison. They would probably be very good at creating the illusion of dynamics in an otherwise system.
I prefer the Plutos to DNM Reson, Van Den Hul D102Mk3 Hybrid, Morrow Audio MA1, Rega Couple (clone) and definitely NVA SoundCords.
The above comments are only relevant to my system and my perception, make of it what you will. In fact I'm so impressed with The Reference Pluto that I'm considering the RFC Mercury Mk2.
If anyones compared them and want to give me some idea of the differences in presentation, please go ahead.

CageyH
01-05-2014, 17:02
Kevin
I own a pair of NVA SoundCords and a pair of RFC Reference Pluto Mk1. In my system I only need one pair of IC's; between Mytek DAC and Rega Brio R. The Plutos with their beautiful tonal balance, information retrieval, imaging etc etc definitely come out on top.
The Plutos just sound right. The SoundCords on the other hand sound a bit brash by comparison. They would probably be very good at creating the illusion of dynamics in an otherwise system.
I prefer the Plutos to DNM Reson, Van Den Hul D102Mk3 Hybrid, Morrow Audio MA1, Rega Couple (clone) and definitely NVA SoundCords.
The above comments are only relevant to my system and my perception, make of it what you will. In fact I'm so impressed with The Reference Pluto that I'm considering the RFC Mercury Mk2.
If anyones compared them and want to give me some idea of the differences in presentation, please go ahead.

I tried the Pluto, and I bought the Mercury.
The mercury allow more detail, focus and transparency to flow to the end user in comparison to the Pluto.

My question about the Sound Cords was with reference to the Gotham £20 cable.
I still fancy trying the SSP in my system, but need to check my proposed cable run carefully, to make sure I won't put it under strain.

CageyH
10-05-2014, 11:05
Yep, they darn well did.

I'm gonna have to introduce a new quality scale - iirc Martin Colloms did the same - started assigning marks out of 10 - kit quality over time improved and he is now well into the hundreds for his top marks! :lol:

True.

The Pluto2 have what might be called "youthful enthusiasm" - full of get up & go, and joie de vivre. Which I enjoy a lot and will suit many folks and many systems well.

But ultimately, the Mercury2 is a better cable that lets more of the music through.

Both better the standard-plugged Gotham UPs easily, imho.
It will be most interesting to hear what up-plugging the Goths will do. :popcorn:

I'm glad you like them.
I think that they are my new favourite cable, and I will gradually migrate to the Mercury Mk2 over time.
They don't seem to do anything wrong, and let more detail than the MG2000's through.

It will be interesting to hear how an upgraded plug on Marco's choice of cheap pro grade cable compares.
The Mercury is based on a very good cable.

icehockeyboy
10-05-2014, 14:13
S'ok, dude. There's nothing underhand going on. I've been in touch with the seller, and his reply was thus: "I am sold out on the van Damme white cables at the moment. the £499 listing is a placeholder but I do not think there will be more."

Effectively, he's put a ridiculously high price on them, to stop anyone ordering the cables until (or if) he receives any more stock.

During our exchange, it became apparent that the Whites are a bit 'special' (in comparison with other cables in the Van Damme range). I believe that they were NOS, supplied to Abbey Road Studios, which he had a limited stock of, all of which has now been sold.

I can certainly hear something about these cables which is a bit special, however, we shall see what the VD Ultra Blacks do in comparison! :)

Marco.

I did say how pleased that I am with them right from the go, and what came out in your dealings with the seller has made me smile a little wider! :)

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 20:54
As to the original question by CageyH:

I can recommend the Slic Innovations Eclipse C Interconnect Cable

An amazing cable ;)

YNWaN
02-06-2014, 21:46
But as you haven't actually compared most of he cables discussed in this thread...,

da2222
02-06-2014, 21:53
But as you haven't actually compared most of he cables discussed in this thread...,

Yep +1
Any useful recommendation in this thread should actually relate to it.

CageyH
02-06-2014, 21:57
As to the original question by CageyH:

I can recommend the Slic Innovations Eclipse C Interconnect Cable

An amazing cable ;)

It can't be that good. It took you about 2 weeks to make your mind up about it. :ner:

:eyebrows:

No matter how good it may be, I cannot justify to myself the cost of the cable.
If I can't do that, how do I explain to Mrs H that I have just spent £500 on a cable?

YNWaN
02-06-2014, 22:02
I'm afraid such a context free statement does come across as a 'point and click' advertorial moment!

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 22:13
It can't be that good. It took you about 2 weeks to make your mind up about it. :ner:

No matter how good it may be, I cannot justify to myself the cost of the cable.
If I can't do that, how do I explain to Mrs H that I have just spent £500 on a cable?

Actually you are very wrong as it took me over 5 weeks to finally decide on the SLIC :ner:

If I am spending 'serious money' I don't ever decide very quickly, it's just the way I am.... however if you want what "I" would consider THE VERY BEST then I have to highly recommend the SLIC cable ;)

I guess I am the minority here being female and not having to explain any of my purchases to anybody else... as far as I am concerned nobody can decide, apart from myself, where I spend my hard earned £'s !! :D

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 22:15
I should point out that I did try the Gotham cable and in my system it was a load of rubbish.... it sounded like a £20 cable, which is what it is... :D

Marco
02-06-2014, 23:05
Bev, this thread is not about Slic cables, so please keep your comments about that in the appropriate places elsewhere on the forum. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
02-06-2014, 23:06
I'm afraid such a context free statement does come across as a 'point and click' advertorial moment!

Precisely - and it stops here.

Marco.

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 23:17
Bev, this thread is not about Slic cables, so please keep your comments about that in the appropriate places elsewhere on the forum. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Well Marco I thought it was about the original poster wanting recommendations on cables, ?????

If I am wrong then please do tell...

;)

what's the difference to post no. 2....."I love my van den hul first ultimate but the RFC Neptune [£]100 has done very good service between 20k`s worth of amps for some months !!! good vfm

And my post ???????

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 23:20
Or in fact post No. 5 "Mark Grant G1000HD would be my default excellent cable for not a lot of money"

What is the problem with my post ?? :confused:

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 23:27
Or post No. 12

"For £100 budget, the Mark Grant G1000HD would remain my recommendation"

What's the difference in that post against my post for the SLIC ??

Am I missing something???

Marco
02-06-2014, 23:41
Hi Bev,

The initial OP of this thread may have been about general cable recomendations. However, the vast majority of the contributions (and most recent ones) have been about the studio cable tests others and I have conducted.

Tomorrow, if I get a chance, I will split the discussion here into separate threads, one for talking about general cable recommendations, and the other, the studio cable tests. The former will be the appropriate place to discuss Slic. However, until then, in order to make my job easier, in terms of separating the discussion into different threads, please keep any mention of Slic off of this thread.

Marco.

Ninanina
02-06-2014, 23:43
The former will be the appropriate place to discuss Slic. However, until then, in order to make my job easier, in terms of separating the discussion into different threads, please keep any mention of Slic off of this thread.

Marco.

Ok Marco no probs.....

Marco
03-06-2014, 06:58
Nice one. I'll get round to splitting the thread later today. TBH, it should've been done earlier, in order to keep the studio cables test separate, so thanks for drawing my attention to this :)

Marco.

SLS
03-06-2014, 11:12

Don't confuse dealer margins with manufacturer product costs.

On cables you may be ripped off by the manufacturer or distributor, the dealer adds his %. In most industries the dealer % is fixed and high volume dealers get rebates or discounts.

I'm currently trying to tell the difference between TQ Ultra Black and a £140 bi-wired speaker cable (the same length UB being £1,500).

The Black Adder
03-06-2014, 15:07
Don't confuse dealer margins with manufacturer product costs.

On cables you may be ripped off by the manufacturer or distributor, the dealer adds his %. In most industries the dealer % is fixed and high volume dealers get rebates or discounts.

I'm currently trying to tell the difference between TQ Ultra Black and a £140 bi-wired speaker cable (the same length UB being £1,500).

£1360 worth of vinyl :)

CageyH
03-06-2014, 15:37
The plan is to sort this out with two cables (as it passes through the amp).

Budget? Happier closer to £100 a set, but if the difference is not subtle, I am prepared to go slightly higher, but not much. Obviously, the cheaper the better as I am on my continued search for best bang for buck.

Bev,

Which bit of two cables, £100 and best bang for buck would point me at the SLIC? :scratch:

I am sure it's very good, but I have to rebuild the foundations of my system before I entertain £1k for a bit of wire.
One SLIC costs more than I paid for my current CD player, amp and power amp. For me, that puts in into perspective.

Thanks for the suggestion though. The original intent of this thread was to sort out a couple of interconnects on a budget. It's developed into a long winded way of saying that Pro Audio cables with reasonable plugs sound very good, and offer good value for money, even more so if you can solder or know somebody who can.

I still don't believe that a Pro Audio cable will benefit in a big way from really expensive plugs, compared a good quality mid priced plug. If you are going to spend that much on a plug, why not spend a bit more on the cable? Still, I will be interested to read Marco's findings, as to me this rapidly enters the law of diminishing returns area which I am not comfortable with.
I have read in various different places that the best plug you can have, is no plug at all.

To add a bit of perspective here, I am as likely to buy the proper Furutech Carbon bodied plugs as I am likely to buy a SLIC for my system. Maybe if I win the lottery tonight or at the weekend, I will change my opinion, but for me the best sound for the pound is the priority. I think that the cable will make more difference. MCRU comments about the SLIC imply that the cable is more important than the plug, so Marco, please prove me wrong. I like to learn. It's been good fun so far seeing what affect it has on the most important factor to me, the enjoyment of my music.

I am hoping that OldPinkMan will be visiting in August for a few beers and a BBQ as he passes by, with one of his cables. It will be interesting to note who changes their opinion the most.

Ninanina
03-06-2014, 16:39
Bev,

Which bit of two cables, £100 and best bang for buck would point me at the SLIC? :scratch:

Sorry Kevin I haven't read every post and the title does say "I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects"

So I made my recommendations based on that

The Black Adder
03-06-2014, 16:54
Cool guys but before this goes any further can we keep any mention of the SLIC off this thread please. A new thread will be created that will separate both discussions.

Cheers
Joe

r100
03-06-2014, 17:05
yeah, get that cable out of here.. dammit ! I am NOT interested in any evaluation of a 500+ cable FGS.. this thread is about affordable cables

Marco
03-06-2014, 17:41
Cool guys but before this goes any further can we keep any mention of the SLIC off this thread please. A new thread will be created that will separate both discussions.

Indeed, Joe. However, as I'm up to my eyes in various things at the moment (as well know), perhaps you could do me a favour and practice your new moderating controls, by doing what is necessary in order to separate both discussions? :)

All you need to do is go through the thread and place a tick on each post that refers specifically to the studio cables test, and move all those posts into a separate thread, entitled 'VFM/SPPV studio cables test', or something like that, thus leaving the original thread title here and content as it is.

Marco.

awkwardbydesign
03-06-2014, 17:58

Cheers
Joe

Indeed, Joe. However, as I'm up to my eyes in various things at the moment (as well know), perhaps you could do me a favour and practice your new moderating controls, by doing what is necessary in order to separate both discussions? :)

All you need to do is go through the thread and place a tick on each post that refers specifically to the studio cables test, and move all those posts into a separate thread, entitled 'VFM/SPPV studio cables test', or something like that, thus leaving the original thread title here and content as it is.

Marco.
Hah! That'll teach you. :rfl:

SLS
03-06-2014, 18:39
£1360 worth of vinyl :)

That's what I had in mind

The Black Adder
03-06-2014, 21:52
Hah! That'll teach you. :rfl:

Yeah but I've got your dinner money... :ner: heheh!

That's what I had in mind

Exactly... Much more fun too... :)

awkwardbydesign
03-06-2014, 22:11
Yeah but I've got your dinner money... :ner: heheh!

You'd be lucky. I used to spend it all down the local billard hall!

CageyH
02-03-2018, 15:38
About 4 years on, and I have stumbled across another decent cable. It is more expensive than the Klotz MC5000, but I like what it is doing in my system so fra

The Black Adder
02-03-2018, 16:10
...come on, don't be shy... What's dat den?

CageyH
02-03-2018, 16:39
I will post more info if it lives up to my expectations.

Scooby
02-03-2018, 18:02
It's not SLIC, is it?

:lol:

CageyH
02-03-2018, 18:45
Most certainly not.
Neither am I applying the theory of quantum tunneling.

CageyH
02-03-2018, 22:33
I have a set of these cables between my KIN and my Graham Slee Solo UL headphone amp.
London Grammar are currently spinning on the old record player, and I have to say that Hannah sounds sublime.
There is a lot of small detail that the MC5000 seems to mask coming through. Female vocals work very well, so I will have to try some other music over the course of the weekend.

CageyH
04-03-2018, 13:15
I can't be bothered with sharing this...

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 13:35
As posted elsewhere, a sneak peak....
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4741/40569228342_2f2a7832e9_z_d.jpg

I am waiting on a set of new plugs and a couple of metres of cable before these get posted to Marco.I like the colour scheme. Remarkably similar to mine [emoji23][emoji23]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/f470177703c86c6a6ea42f2dc0953bf0.jpg

CageyH
04-03-2018, 13:40
Blah blah blah....

Stryder5
04-03-2018, 13:50
If the outer sheath is carbon fibre, which I thought was non conductive what shield is being used to connect at source end as some people advocate?

If it's a trade secret I will understand:)

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 13:53
It was made from the bits I have lying around the house.No doubt mate. They look nice. I'm a big fan of those KLE plugs. Shame they are so pricey.

I'm trialling a set of the AECO plugs at the minute.

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 13:54
If the outer sheath is carbon fibre, which I thought was non conductive what shield is being used to connect at source end as some people advocate?

If it's a trade secret I will understand:)It's a braiding to protect the identity of the cable, Gary. No use other than protection of the cable outer jacket and aesthetic purposes.

Stryder5
04-03-2018, 13:55
It's a braiding to protect the identity of the cable, Gary. No use other than protection of the cable outer jacket and aesthetic purposes.

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 14:11
Agreed about the price. Elecaudio have a nice set that I am tempted by - https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/rca-plugs/elecaudio-rc90-redc-rca-connectors-red-copper-gold-plated-24k-o-9mm-pair-p-11460.htmlThose look very interesting, mate. Trouble is, trying to get them posted to the UK is £10!!!!

£30 plugs + £10 postage

Ok, for you in France though!!!

Stryder5
04-03-2018, 14:12
Bit sharp the last line!

I asked a simple question and recieved a courteous response from Bigman80.

I see no need for barbed comments!

It also adds an additional layer of protection from scratches and scrapes.
Does it serve a purpose once connected in a rack? Of course not....

Stryder5
04-03-2018, 14:21
I understand that some people have no idea of courtesy and use implied comments to try and belittle other people, why the "of course not"

Not all people use a rack.

So it's nylon sheath not carbon fibre?

I see no barbed comments either, which is why I did not make one.

Interpret my text as you like, but following on from Oliver's comments, I was simply stating that a nylon sheath offers pretty much no additional function.
Once it is in place in a rack, what is going to scrape or scratch a cable?

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 14:24
I understand that some people have no idea of courtesy and use implied comments to try and belittle other people, why the "of course not"I didn't read it like that Gary. Maybe a loss of context in the text?

walpurgis
04-03-2018, 14:24
Leave it there please guys.

CageyH
04-03-2018, 14:53
I'll leave you to it.

argyle
04-03-2018, 15:06
Those look very interesting, mate. Trouble is, trying to get them posted to the UK is £10!!!!

£30 plugs + £10 postage

Ok, for you in France though!!!

Have you thought about a group buy? Get a few amateur cable guys to buy a set or two each and share the delivery costs which will possibly still be a tenner.

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 15:08
Have you thought about a group buy? Get a few amateur cable guys to buy a set or two each and share the delivery costs which will possibly still be a tenner.To be honest, I can't see me venturing from the KLE I am using. The Elecaudio things look like they're good but I'm not dealing with a company that charges a 1/3 of the purchase price for delivery. That's ridiculous!!!

Also, the KLE are a fantastic plug. Pricey but really great quality.

argyle
04-03-2018, 15:10
Imagine what you could get delivered for a tenner!!

Bigman80
04-03-2018, 15:14
I suppose if buying a fair amount of stuff it's going to be worth it but it seems excessive for 4 plugs.

Marco
04-03-2018, 15:33
I've no idea what's gone on here, in terms of some of the recent 'altercations', and right now don't have time to read it all. However, from the quick scan read I've given it, I don't get, Kevin, what prompted posts #85 and #87... :scratch:

It doesn't seem to tie in with what had been posted before that. Not taking any sides here, as I haven't read things fully yet, it's just that bit I don't get :)

Marco.

Marco
04-03-2018, 16:03
Ok, I've just read the rest of the exchange (unfortunately most of which has now been deleted), and it's clear that an innocent remark from Kevin (and by that I mean as far as how he intended it) has been taken the wrong way by Gary, and then Kevin took umbrage at Gary's reaction to it and subsequent reply - and the whole thing escalated from there! :doh:

It's a simple misunderstanding, guys, and been blown out of all proportion. Certainly, any bad feelings between you are completely unwarranted. It's just something that happens on forums sometimes, so let's put the whole thing behind us and move on :cool:

Marco.

CageyH
05-03-2018, 14:40
Marco,

Having had time to reflect on this now, my comments were taken completely out of context.
To suggest that I have no sense of courtesy and I deliberately belittle someone is about as far wrong as a character judgement can get. In the past I have openly shared information about great sounding cables for the benefit of others.
That stops now. I can’t be bothered posting about these things if it creates problems with what I can only assume are over sensitive individuals.

Yes I know I have been told to leave it there, and to move on.
The second part of the request is perfectly acceptable. I intend to move on.
The comments that irked me are still here. I will add nothing further to this post, so you may as well close it.

P.S. Carbon fibre is conductive. How much can depend on the resin used to manufacture the CFRP parts. That is why we are able to make aeroplanes from it.

Stryder5
05-03-2018, 17:40
Anyone,

I don't care

Marco,

Having had time to reflect on this now, my comments were taken completely out of context.
To suggest that I have no sense of courtesy and I deliberately belittle someone is about as far wrong as a character judgement can get. In the past I have openly shared information about great sounding cables for the benefit of others.
That stops now. I can’t be bothered posting about these things if it creates problems with what I can only assume are over sensitive individuals.

Yes I know I have been told to leave it there, and to move on.
The second part of the request is perfectly acceptable. I intend to move on.
The comments that irked me are still here. I will add nothing further to this post, so you may as well close it.

P.S. Carbon fibre is conductive. How much can depend on the resin used to manufacture the CFRP parts. That is why we are able to make aeroplanes from it.

Marco
05-03-2018, 20:24
Guys, I'm closing this thread because I've lost the will to live with it all now... When I say move on, I mean MOVE ON :doh:

This should've all been dealt with. Put each other on your ignore list, if necessary, and be done with it. I don't want to see any more of this pish again!

Marco.