PDA

View Full Version : FS: Edingdale Speakers

Val33
02-04-2014, 23:05
Due to having just ordered my dream speakers, I really have to raise some funds and clear some space!

Edingdale speakers in American White Oak.

Colin Topps made these for me in January 2012. They have been used for probably six months only due to moving house.

Perfect condition. I have just replaced two of the drivers, with matching stock from Colin, as a 'little person' had damaged the dust caps. They also come with Colins updated inductors for the crossover (although I have not fitted them as I was happy with the originals). These really are as good as everyone says. Just ask any of the existing owners! Very easy load for low watt valves but equally happy with big solid state.

I understand that Colin is unable to make any more of these as the drivers are out of production and I don't believe there have been any of these offered second hand before.

Plenty of reviews on the forums :)

I'm asking £1200

Can be auditioned any time here in Southsea. Collection only or would be able to deliver / meet within a reasonable distance. Postcode PO4

Val

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/Val3310/AOS/Edingdales/IMG_1064_zpsef0a22ac.jpg (http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Val3310/media/AOS/Edingdales/IMG_1064_zpsef0a22ac.jpg.html)

More pictures here: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Val3310/library/AOS/Edingdales

Toppsy
04-04-2014, 07:13
I understand that Colin is unable to make any more of these

NOT TRUE I still have drivers left in stock for those who want a bespoke build of these speakers but they are limited to the number of new builds I can do. I'm not sure where this rumour started. It is true the original drivers are no longer in production but new replacement drivers are in the pipeline as I understand it from my talks with Mark Fenlon, owner and chief designer of Markaudio who made the mid-woofer drivers that have proved to be so good.

Hope these find a new home and good luck with the sale.

Regards
Colin Topps

Kneesup
04-04-2014, 09:59
Val,

I see you also have 66s. Can you describe the sonic differences between those and the Es…?

Val33
04-04-2014, 11:05
Hi Richard,

I'm not the worlds best at putting what my ears hear into words. The Celestions were bought to suit the aesthetics of the room and I hoped they would do most of what the Edingdales did. They don't!

I was not at all happy with the Celestions when I first got them, so updated the crossovers with all new upgraded components and new air core inductors. This did improve matters. These comments are based on the Celestions as they are now.

In comparison, the Edingdales go lower and have more control of the bass and a far more cohesive mid range. They have L-pads for the ribbons, and I found these very useful for adjusting the top to suit my taste and cut through the tinnitus I suffer from. They are, without a doubt, the best all round speaker that I have heard.

Having bought and restored an old house, I committed to a retro 'mid century' feel for the living room and unfortunately the Edingdales just don't fit with that. I have been reluctant to part with them, because they are so good, but I have just pulled the trigger on a pair of JBL 4344's otherwise I would be keeping them 'just in case'!

If you are interested, please feel free to come and have a listen.

Val

Gazjam
04-04-2014, 11:16
Yup, the big E's are astonishingly good.
I reckon you'd need to pay silly money for something to sound as good from a commercial speaker.
Was going to upgrade my RS3's to RS7's, but I heard them and they don't even get close to what the Edingdales pull off.

Love mine. :)

Kneesup
04-04-2014, 17:18
Hi Richard,

I'm not the worlds best at putting what my ears hear into words. The Celestions were bought to suit the aesthetics of the room and I hoped they would do most of what the Edingdales did. They don't!

I was not at all happy with the Celestions when I first got them, so updated the crossovers with all new upgraded components and new air core inductors. This did improve matters. These comments are based on the Celestions as they are now.

In comparison, the Edingdales go lower and have more control of the bass and a far more cohesive mid range. They have L-pads for the ribbons, and I found these very useful for adjusting the top to suit my taste and cut through the tinnitus I suffer from. They are, without a doubt, the best all round speaker that I have heard.

Having bought and restored an old house, I committed to a retro 'mid century' feel for the living room and unfortunately the Edingdales just don't fit with that. I have been reluctant to part with them, because they are so good, but I have just pulled the trigger on a pair of JBL 4344's otherwise I would be keeping them 'just in case'!

If you are interested, please feel free to come and have a listen.

Val

Good grief. Those JBLs (just Googled) look monumental! And I'm not surprised by what you say about the 66s, which is kinda why I asked the question, as it gives insight as to your taste and therefore valid - or not, for me and others - views of the Es. If you see what I mean. It was an ear-gauging question!

Frankly, I'm in dreadful muddle with speakers at the moment. I have been consistently underwhelmed by floorstanders but your E's - previously unknown to me - seem intriguing. I will know better what my options are after the next week or so. You're not far away from me, so I'll keep watching. Many thanks for your kind offer. Richard

Ashmore
04-04-2014, 22:18
+1 for the Edingdales. Deep, detailed, great imaging. I'm very happy with mine. Must get round to doing that review...

Kneesup
04-04-2014, 23:10
Good grief. Those JBLs (just Googled) look monumental! And I'm not surprised by what you say about the 66s, which is kinda why I asked the question, as it gives insight as to your taste and therefore valid - or not, for me and others - views of the Es. If you see what I mean. It was an ear-gauging question!

Frankly, I'm in dreadful muddle with speakers at the moment. I have been consistently underwhelmed by floorstanders but your E's - previously unknown to me - seem intriguing. I will know better what my options are after the next week or so. You're not far away from me, so I'll keep watching. Many thanks for your kind offer. Richard

Just to flesh-out my limited-experience opinion, for what it's worth, I've yet to hear a floorstander that can do voice beautifully - or as well as my standmounts can. Even the Castle Howard S3s I had, which were meant to be wonderful in the mids and highs, couldn't do anything like what my Roksan Darius standmounts could do. Nor could the Harbeths or B&Ws I heard recently. The big floorstanders sure did other things brilliantly, but I can't be dealing with a veiled voice. Or perhaps solve the problem by spending a fortune on really high-end floorstanders. But the Edingdales have adjustable ribbons, it seems… And they are a sensible price. That might make all the difference… Still more than I can spend just at the moment, but I mention all this as reading my last post it sounds like I'm dis'ing all floorstanders which would be potty. I just haven't heard many, and not 'the ones' yet. Even at Scalford. With the exception of PMC Fact 12s and Brodman VC7s (£££££). The Edingdale fan club seems big and happy. Says much. Wish I could afford to take a punt… They really aren't expensive and look super.

brainz2000
08-04-2014, 06:36
Bump for something I'd love but can't afford...

Val33
12-04-2014, 13:44
Weekend bump :)

Gazjam
24-04-2014, 22:40
Shame to see these haven't found a new home yet :(

DaveK
25-04-2014, 08:44
I agree but my thoughts are the same as Brainz2000 - if only! :( .

CageyH
25-04-2014, 09:42
Collection is an issue for me. ;)
Lovely looking speakers, but driving all that way to find out I don't quite like them would be a nightmare.

brainz2000
28-04-2014, 20:46
Bump - because I want to avoid having to sell my children to fund these ....

Val33
28-04-2014, 21:44
LOL, thanks Guys :)

I'm in no great hurry for these to go, in fact I am just about to go away for a couple of weeks.

I will be back around the 19th for a few days and then not until the 7th. If you are interested in these, please drop me a PM and I will respond as soon as I can.

Serious close offers will be considered.

Thanks

Val

Gazjam
28-04-2014, 22:09
These go for £1500 new.
Last speakers short of a lottery win you'd ever need to buy.
Even them...hmnn, you'd think about it.

Val33
09-06-2014, 13:55
Bump.

I'm now back from my travels and keen for these to find a new home.

Val

vinylspinner
10-06-2014, 19:09
These are great sounding speakers, well worth a listen tbh, I am very pleased with my pair and wont be changing anytime soon.
Good luck with the sale.

Nigel

RichB
10-06-2014, 19:12
Collection a problem otherwise you'd have my attention

Fancied trying a pair of these for a long while.

Gazjam
10-06-2014, 19:19
+1
Delighted with mine and wouldn't swap them for anything.

Nigel, you were spot on with the speaker cable reccy for the Edingdales.
Ali had an old set of TNT Audio 6 twisted pair Cat 5 he loaned me.
Nice :)

vinylspinner
10-06-2014, 19:26
Hi Gary,

Yes, sounds very good indeed, beat the pants off of some very high end (high cost) speaker cables, worth a listen and works very well with the Edingdales.

Nigel

+1
Delighted with mine and wouldn't swap them for anything.

Nigel, you were spot on with the speaker cable reccy for the Edingdales.
Ali had an old set of TNT Audio 6 twisted pair Cat 5 he loaned me.
Nice :)

da2222
10-06-2014, 19:33
Hi Nigel

Interesting! Which speaker cable are we talking about exactly?

vinylspinner
10-06-2014, 19:40
Hi Drew,

How are you doing?
the cables are just normal cat 5 network cable, here is a link................
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html

Seems to work very well with valve amps and the Edingdales.

Back to the op, somebody please buy these excellent speakers

Val33
11-06-2014, 19:22
Funny that, I was running the Edingdales on home brew cat5 cables!

If it helps anyone, I often have reason to drive to both Oxford and Alcester (between Stratford on Avon and Redditch) and I guess I could be persuaded to continue up to the Birmingham area.

Come on Guys, these are fabulous speakers and virtually as new.

Val

Val33
18-06-2014, 21:24
Mid week bump.

Come on Guys, these really do have to go. I'll listen to sensible offers...........

Val

brian2957
18-06-2014, 21:53
I've heard the Edingdales at gazjams gaff a couple of times and they are stunning speakers , both in looks and sound quality . Just wish I had the money as I would jump at these :(

Gazjam
21-09-2014, 20:54
Val,
did these ever sell?

Do you have the JBLs?