PDA

View Full Version : Audiophile Dictionary

Andrei
02-04-2014, 20:15
Is there a dictionary of audiophile terms? If not we can start one here. My opening entries are 'Last', 'Night and day', 'Life Changing', and 'Reasonable'

Last = I can't think of anything else at the moment. Example: 'This is my last upgrade'
Night and Day = I detected an improvement.
Life Changing = A component has been upgraded.
Reasonable = Expensive. Used by reviewers of interconnects and speaker cables.

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2014, 20:33
Is there a dictionary of audiophile terms?

Yes!
It's right here in 'The Knowledge' on AoS:
The AOS Glossary of Hi-Fi Parlance (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?3260-Basics-amp-General-The-AOS-Glossary-of-Hi-Fi-Parlance)

.....but what you've described is the 'Glossary of Hi-Fi Bushlit' (which is similar to Loblocks)

Reffc
02-04-2014, 20:45
"Inky black silence" = I forgot to switch on my amp

"lifted a veil from the music" = I turned up the volume

"A/B comparison" = I read two reviews and picked the one that looked better

"Its the music that matters" = and I wouldn't listen to any of it unless on this shiny new system

"Sounds brighter" = I listened with my eyes open

"Dark sounding" = I listened with my eyes shut

"The circuit's a thingymagig with capacitors by foo-man-choo from the Ring Dynasty" = I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about

"Silver sounds better I find" = I paid twice as much as my last cable so I have to justify the price

"My valve amp is glowing orange" = My amp's on fire

"valve amps are dangerous" = I tried putting out the fire with a wet towel...whilst the amp was still plugged in

Joe
02-04-2014, 20:55
'Even my wife, who doesn't normally comment on such things, noticed the improvement' = 'I have finally brainwashed the poor woman into taking an interest'

'Something of a bargain' = 'Very expensive indeed'

'Investment' = 'Money you won't see again'

'Classic piece of kit' = 'Parts unobtainable'

'Breathed upon' = 'Bodged within an inch of its life'

'Lively' = 'Harsh'

'Neutral' = 'Dull'

'Bespoke' = 'Very expensive and impossible to sell on'

'Upgrade' = 'Throwing good money after bad'.

Andrei
02-04-2014, 21:26
Yes!
It's right here in 'The Knowledge' on AoS:
The AOS Glossary of Hi-Fi Parlance (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?3260-Basics-amp-General-The-AOS-Glossary-of-Hi-Fi-Parlance)
.....but what you've described is the 'Glossary of Hi-Fi Bushlit' (which is similar to Loblocks)
Ah yes! I missed that. I'm going to quit my job and work for MAD magazine.

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2014, 21:28
I'm going to quit my job and work for MAD magazine.

A noble calling, if ever there was one!

RichB
02-04-2014, 21:33
"Inky black silence" = I forgot to switch on my amp

"lifted a veil from the music" = I turned up the volume

"A/B comparison" = I read two reviews and picked the one that looked better

"Its the music that matters" = and I wouldn't listen to any of it unless on this shiny new system

"Sounds brighter" = I listened with my eyes open

"Dark sounding" = I listened with my eyes shut

"The circuit's a thingymagig with capacitors by foo-man-choo from the Ring Dynasty" = I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about

"Silver sounds better I find" = I paid twice as much as my last cable so I have to justify the price

"My valve amp is glowing orange" = My amp's on fire

"valve amps are dangerous" = I tried putting out the fire with a wet towel...whilst the amp was still plugged in

Brilliant:lol:

Beobloke
03-04-2014, 07:59
Passive crossover - Buying a turntable because people keep telling you they sound better

Active crossover - Buying a turntable after discovering for yourself that they sound better

Dither - The confusion experienced when auditioning too many CD players in one go

Anti-skating - A knob on a turntable

DJ - See above

Kilogram - A very dangerous record player

Wow - The reaction to first hearing your expensive new cartridge

Flutter - The reaction the first time you accidentally send your expensive new cartridge flying across the record

Val33
03-04-2014, 08:42
Anti-skating - A knob on a turntable

DJ - See above

PMSL :)

walpurgis
03-04-2014, 09:00
'Ahead of its time' How can anything be? If it's arrived, it's of its time! :eek:

'Flutter' (another interpretation) It's what your pacemaker gives you if you go too near a speaker with big magnets! :)

The Barbarian
03-04-2014, 10:32
Don't make me list a few

:D