PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 139: 01/04/2014: Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956)

Album Club
31-03-2014, 23:05
Tim has chosen this week's album and you have to wonder what would have happened if this one had never been released. Thanks a lot Tim.
Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mTxK3OaRL.jpg

spotify:album:7GXP5OhYyPVLmcVfO9Iqin

This is a slight departure from my normal Album Club selections, which in the main have been new music and mostly bands/artists I have never seen played in Spinning Today, to try and introduce something new.

This time it's an all time classic and highly regarding as one of the most important records in music history - Elvis Presley's first album, which is really nothing more than a covers album. Like him or not, Elvis is one of the most influential artists of all time and a cultural icon. With more No. 1 chart albums to his name than most artists ever release! Elvis whilst alive really was 'The King' to a huge section of society.

Elvis and The Beatles are the biggest selling music artists of all time with claimed sales individually of over 600 Million each, Michael Jackson in third place is ranked with 400 Million claimed sales. I was first introduced to Elvis by an older step-brother who was literally obsessed with him. I was too young to know what was going on or take any real interest, but his music and songs clearly struck a chord as I have many of them still stuck in my head and it gives me great pleasure to listen to them after so many years. I even still know a lot of the lyrics when I hear songs like Jailhouse Rock and Suspicious Minds playing and can sing along.

This multi-million selling eponymous début album literally catapulted an unknown artist to legendary superstar status. Recorded in Mono between 1954 and 1956 at two locations, Nashville and New York. Its a mix of Blues, Rock n' Roll, Country and Rockabilly and was released by RCA Victor Records in March 1956. The album is ranked 56 in the Rolling Stone top 500 of all time and the cover is 40th in the 100 best covers of all time. It really is a classic and I personally think every record collection should have a copy - if you only ever buy one Elvis album, this I think should be the one. My step-brother still has the original release which is a little dog-eared now and he never plays it, just keeps it and plays the CD instead. Imagine the impact this would have made in 1956, just over 10 years since the end of WW2 and when you put the needle down on the vinyl you got Blue Suede Shoes! It must have been startling for the youth of the time and some say it changed the face of modern music overnight.

Enjoy.

The album - Elvis Presley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_%28album%29)

Elvis Presley - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley)

Bazil
01-04-2014, 18:21
Well I've never owned anything by Elvis and don't enjoy early Rock'n'Roll, there are two Elvis tunes I do like, Suspicious Minds and In the Ghetto.
This was quite refreshing from the off , different , from another time although I wouldn't play it again.
Two tracks, I love you Because brought back childhood memories but it was the Jim Reeves version my Mum had and the album's stand out track Blue Moon, I think The Cowboy Junkies have listened to that once or twice :D.
Its pretty unfair to dismiss this album with a low vote because of what it started and I really did love his version of Blue Moon 7/10.

sparrow
01-04-2014, 21:00
I bought my first ever Elvis collection last week the 3 cd 75 set..and although most aint my cuppa char you cant take away the fact that the guy could sing and had stunning looks. I do prefer the later big ballads but think I'll pick this up tomorrow if HMV still has a copy...I cant help believin and Suspicion are two of the mans songs I love.

Tim
04-04-2014, 19:49
It is surprising how rarely Elvis seems to get played in Spinning Today, but not to everyone's taste I guess. I also really love his Country album and of course From Elvis in Memphis, a superb collection of some of his best known work.

I voted 10/10 (no surprise) as it gets extra marks for what it achieved and how ground breaking it was. Its also a hugely influential record, quite cheap on Amazon too (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=elvis+presley+elvis+presley&sprefix=elvis+presley+elvis+%2Cpopular%2C182&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Aelvis+presley+elvis+presley) if you haven't got it ;)

ruleof72
06-04-2014, 02:06
I've never been much of an Elvis fan. He was a talented and charismatic performer but to me he always seemed like he was trying too hard to make good music. That being said, this was an important album so for that I give it a 5 out of 10.

synsei
06-04-2014, 13:51
My apologies Tim but I am going to sit this one out as I can't stand Elvis or his music therefore it would be unfair of me to participate, and besides I really can't bring myself to listen to this album... :eyebrows:

Audio Al
06-04-2014, 16:09
I'm not a Elvis appreciator either although I have listened to this album

Does not float my boat so 5 from me

The Grand Wazoo
06-04-2014, 17:45
I've just played this and I can honestly say that it's the first time I've ever heard one of Elvis Presley's albums from start to finish. I told Tim that I'd never heard one, but this would be the one I'd choose if I was made to.
It's quite interesting to compare the recordings from the different sessions, as the differences are vast! The earlier stuff, five tracks recorded at Sun Studios in 1954 is (apart from the Ray Charles cover) much more countrified than the later stuff. The recording quality is different too - in the Sun stuff, the room is far more apparent.
I never knew Chet Atkins was on this!

It was educational and probably overdue, so thanks for that Tim.
Unfortunately though, I'm still never going to be an Elvis fan!
4/10, but with a star because of its landmark status.

Marco
06-04-2014, 20:19
I don't mind a bit of Elvis now and then. My favourite is his ballads (and a bit of 'Return to Sender'). However, the recording quality on some of the original vinyl albums is stunning! :eek:

7 out of 10 for me :)

Marco.

MartinT
07-04-2014, 07:03
A timeless classic and an important document on music in the 1950s. It must have hit people like a train at the time of its release. I remember my mother playing incessant Jim Reeves :spew: but Elvis singing one of his songs is a different proposition altogether. It's also pretty enjoyable considering I like his much later material (how could Suspicious Minds ever be upstaged?). 6/10

Tim
07-04-2014, 07:14
Thanks for giving it a go guys, I thought it might be a hard sell, especially as I don't recall anyone playing Elvis here that often?

Interestingly if you do an Advanced Search across Musical Compositions, there are just over 20 hits for Elvis Presley and most are from Chris! (The Grand Wazoo)

AoS search for Elvis Presley (http://theartofsound.net/forum/search.php?searchid=553268)

The Grand Wazoo
07-04-2014, 07:29
Hah!
And I would have got away with it, if it hadn't have been for that meddling Tim!

RichB
07-04-2014, 09:34
A healthy 7 from me. As others have said, in the context of its time this must have seemed like it was from another planet. This is rockabilly music at its finest, and spawned thousands of imitators. I really enjoyed it and added to my spotify playlists to play again. Good shout.

sparrow
07-04-2014, 14:51
Bought the cd last week..spun it last night..some ok others no no..Still not really my thing but I did quite enjoy having a listen. 6/10..

high.spirits
12-04-2014, 09:43
Very much a 50s record. Interesting mix of rock and roll, skiffle and ballads.
Brought back childhood memories of the old record player in the corner of the sitting room. Good to listen to it, but doubt I will listen all the way through again this year.
Good choice to provide variety, 7/10 from me.

losenotaminute
12-04-2014, 12:28
Elvis was clearly a very influential and important figure in rock and roll history but the songs do sound very dated and dare I a say a little simplistic to modern ears. I'm happy to listen through once but then want to seek out something with more complexity and weight. I will vote 6/10.

loo
28-04-2014, 15:30
Nice choice Tim,
A classic very of its time and what time that was, and a great iconic cover,
8/10 from me
Paul