PDA

View Full Version : Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp 'popping'

ballymenaman
29-03-2014, 21:19
Hello folks

I recently bought a 2nd hand K2 integrated amp. It's only 2 years old and still has 3 years warranty left. It is pristine cosmetically and clearly hasn't been abused. When changing inputs (e.g. from CD to phono), there is a small but noticeable 'pop' from the speakers. This is louder when the amp has just been switched on and quieter (but still audible)when the amp has warmed up. Same kind of little 'pop' my planar 2 gives when switching off and on.

My question is - is this normal for the amp (I know it is for the turntable)?

Thanks

ballymenaman
31-03-2014, 20:02
Bumpette

hifi_dave
31-03-2014, 21:52
It's not normal. it should be quiet at normal/loud listening levels.

chris@panteg
31-03-2014, 22:12
Contact Roksan, they should be able to sort it out for you.

ballymenaman
01-04-2014, 21:41
I've emailed the factory. We shall see .............................

I take it no-one else out there who has a K2 integrated has the same problem? Or am I the only member with a K2?????

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 15:33
I've emailed the factory. We shall see .............................

I take it no-one else out there who has a K2 integrated has the same problem? Or am I the only member with a K2?????

Ahh, a friend of mine who lives next door has a K2 I'll ask him, ok.

ballymenaman
02-04-2014, 18:25
Thanks Chris

I await your response with interest. Here's why........

The response from the factory:-

"Thank you for your email. There is always some form of clicking from within the unit caused by signal relays and low level "pop" from the speakers as the signal DC level is upset when changing from one source to another. However, the level of "popping" should be at a low level and should not make the cone of the bass driver move too much. If it does, than we need to investigate.
Hope that answers your query. If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us again."

Thing is - what do they mean by 'low level' popping???

I would hate to spend £60 on return postage to send the amp back for checking for it to be returned as 'normal'.

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 19:05
It doesn't sound right to me Andy?
My current amp (Marantz Pearl lite) does no such thing, neither my previous amp a Cambridge 740A.

But I've msgd my m8 Allan, see what he says?

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 19:42
Just got a reply, he's never noticed anything odd since he's had his K2 amp?

Stratmangler
02-04-2014, 19:57
Do you only get the popping sound when changing inputs?

ballymenaman
02-04-2014, 20:09
Yes. Just when changing inputs. Usually have volume at quarter to when doing it. If I turn it down I can't hear it - but shouldn't have to do that - or should I?

Stratmangler
02-04-2014, 20:14
You're worrying over nothing.
Listen to music instead of listening to input switching noise :cool:

ballymenaman
02-04-2014, 20:39
I know - I just don't want to leave it if it is a fault - it may get worse - knowing my luck, just outside warranty!

chris@panteg
02-04-2014, 20:43
Perhaps have a chat with David at Kronos audio, helpful chap and I think they sell Roksan gear?

Might put your mind at rest either way?

Stratmangler
02-04-2014, 20:44
My amp (a NAD C320BEE) does it.
I wouldn't have tried it to find out until I saw this thread.

+1 for Chris' suggestion.