PDA

View Full Version : Customer service at dealers

Stiffy
29-03-2014, 15:42
How does everyone rate their local hi fi dealer?

i'm a bit disgruntled with mine. I'm not going to name them but I had telephone conversations with them on Thursday and Friday of this week about trading in my Tannoys which I bought from them.
We'd agreed a price and checked they had the models of speaker in stock I wanted to demo. They did, so I said I would go in this afternoon to audition the speakers and hopefully do a deal.

Last night I merrily disconnected and boxed up my rather large Tannoy floorstanders in all their original packing. Bundled them into the car and went off to see the dealer this afternoon.
I got there, explained why I was there and about my previous telephone conversations. I was allowed to demo the speakers and the salesman couldn't have been more helpful.

After an hour of listening I'd decided which ones I wanted. I was told we couldn't do a deal on the day because the guy I'd spoken with on the phone wasn't in. :doh:
To be fair the salesman was very apologetic and did his best to contact the person in question but to no avail.

I was asked to leave my details and someone is now supposedly going to contact me on Monday.:(

I politely made it known that I wasn't too happy about the situation having gone to the trouble of getting the boxes out and packing the speakers up. Especially when they knew I was coming in.
It's not like they don't know me as I've bought amps, speakers, cd player & tv's off them in the past.

Maybe it's a sign that I shouldn't change my Tannoy V4's for a pair of Boston Acoustic A26's. :scratch:

DSJR
29-03-2014, 16:53
Tannoy as a brand never seems to do very well on trade-in's or used prices in general, so if the chap you dealt with made you a fair offer, then it would be fair to deal with him. If you'd arranged to visit him personally, fixed a time and date and when you got there found he wasn't available and hadn't told anyone the deal you'd discussed I don't think that's fair on you although we're all human and I cringe when I remember the errors I made.

Good luck on Monday.

Wakefield Turntables
29-03-2014, 17:48
Vintage Tannoy certainly holds it value. I agree with you with regards new Tannoy stuff. Try buying a very nice set of 15" MG's and cabs for less than £2K. :)

agk
29-03-2014, 20:17
Keep the big-uns.

DSJR
29-03-2014, 23:08
Vintage Tannoy certainly holds it value. I agree with you with regards new Tannoy stuff. Try buying a very nice set of 15" MG's and cabs for less than £2K. :)

You're quite right of course. I had a mental block regarding old proper Tannoys :)