PDA

View Full Version : Phono preamp with passive preamp...?

darkmatter
28-03-2014, 21:09
Many phono stages do not offer enough gain to work effectively with passive pre-amps

One is the Jolida JD9 which offers quite a sizeable amount of gain and would appear to work

Specs (http://www.jolida.com/product/tubecomponents/jd9)

What other phono stages which may be either gain adjustable or have a higher output level to higher than normal levels can members suggest?

Budget up to £500 new or S/H

Thanks

Simon :)

Macca
29-03-2014, 10:38
I use a Firebottle valve phono stage with a passive pre and no problems getting enough volume. Custom built I think about £300 or thereabouts.

petrat
29-03-2014, 10:51
EAR 834P has tons of gain.
The version with a volume control is just a potentiometer hanging off the end of the phono-circuit.
There was also a kit version offered via HiFi News yonks ago, which had a passive pot with switched inputs and the 834P circuit .. they called it the CLEAR.

DSJR
29-03-2014, 10:59
Can I shout for Croft here, as despite having a line stage, his current pre's are incredibly transparent (the 25 especially), have excellent phono stages and there's plenty of output.

Haselsh1
01-04-2014, 16:04
Can I shout for Croft here, as despite having a line stage, his current pre's are incredibly transparent (the 25 especially), have excellent phono stages and there's plenty of output.

+1 from me and only about 400 quid brand new...!