PDA

View Full Version : Discoveries . . hell yeah!

jimdgoulding
17-03-2008, 08:59
:mental: I confess. I’m not comprehending why there aren’t more inquiries about my product here. The greatest benefit to be had is by conventional box speaker owners and isn’t Britain the home of these? Don’t think me condescending, I listen with British speaks myself, Meridian M20’s to be exact. I also own Acoustat Model Three electrostatic speakers for a reference. Would it help if you had commentary about the benefit? Is it hard to believe that what I make can make such a difference?

For the science taking place, visit Stereomojo.com (how my product relates- scroll down til you see it) or articles about time/phase available on the web by John Dunlavy or David Ralph. For customer comments, there are a multitude online . . one right here under Artists Palette, for example; on Stereo.net.au under Speakers and Subwoofers/Protecting Time and Phase; on Audio Circle under Industry Talk/diffractionbegone results. There is also a review forthcoming in the May issue of a publication you will recognize but I am prohibited from naming. And I freaking custom fit, machine press for perfect symmetry, and sell with a money back guarantee.

This is a tiny investment, a guaranteed tiny investment, that will unlock your recordings and what your system is capable of delivering to your brain. Quiet as it’s kept, that’s what processes what gets to our hearts.

I have been approached by an international retailer to feature my wee my product. I will do this in concert with when the aforementioned review comes out. I will be raising my price; you can be assured (wouldn’t you?). I invite you to try my product on your speakers and see if what I’m saying isn’t true while it’s available at the forum price (it's removable, by the way). You can thank me later. And I dare say you will. Fuller’s ESB is my pleasure.

All the best, mates, always.

Yours truly,

jim goulding
www.diffractionbegone.com

shuggz
25-09-2008, 08:00
Jim

Visted your site to see if I could order a pair for my Adagio, however not sure how you configure your product, do you need the model number so that you can cut the required dimensions?

Ali Tait
25-09-2008, 12:33
Hi Jim,
How much for a set for my pair of B&W P5's? PM if you wish.

thrunobulaxx
25-09-2008, 13:45
How about these Jim, if its possible let me have a quote please.
I have a feeling that a lot of people who might be interested are worried about the visual aspect of these as i take it you cant use the covers with these in place ?

Is there a choice of colours :)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/thrunobulaxx/DSC02009.jpg

jimdgoulding
02-10-2008, 00:24
Gents- Thank you for your inquiries. I have been running amok of late. Will get back to your individual inquiries here in a short while. Thanks, Marco, for ringing my bell. Cheers.

jimdgoulding
02-10-2008, 01:41
Shuggz- I have a template for your Adagio's. They would come out closer to the edge than what you see in my avatar. Fine speaker, IMO.

Ali- Couldn't find your model speaker in the B&W site. Can you direct me to a view?

Thruno- Covers could be returned were I to cut to the inside dimensions of the cover itself. Should a cover have a frame, I would consider these essential. They are 3/8" or 1/4" in thickness. The latter is for covers, specifically, that are very near the baffle surface.

I will dye them black for the price of quality dye and the gas to go get it- $7.00US. The price for a set is $55.95 plus $7.50US for shipping and handling. They come with a 30 day unconditional guarantee.

So, you guys know about diffraction. Here is a quote from physicist and speaker designer Dr. Earl Geddes:

"Most people think of diffraction as simply having a small effect on the frequency response, but that is incorrect. Because diffraction is time delayed from the original sound it can be highly audible even if it only has a small measureable effect. The ear masks well in frequency but very poorly in time. In fact, there is a lot of evidence to say that diffraction audiblity increase with SPL - think about the implications of that!"

And here is a link to an animated illustration of diffraction in action:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/diffdem.gif

You can probably imagine what you will be hearing when those green and red lines are removed. Feel free to send me a PM or reply in the topic. Cheers.

Filterlab
02-10-2008, 10:11
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Jim's product is AMAZING! You really won't believe your ears when you try the baffle covers, the midrange and upper bass improvement is particularly noteworthy and there comes a cohesion to the sound, a completeness if you like. The results that everyone achieves will vary, but there will be an improvement.

If there isn't I'll buy a hat and then eat it - video will be on youtube. ;)

Ali Tait
02-10-2008, 19:31
Hi Jim,
They were discontinued a few years ago now.Found this from B&W archive-

http://assets.bowers-wilkins.com/med/Libraries/3/P5_Archive_l2_w0_h0.pdf

If you need more info let me know.

jimdgoulding
03-10-2008, 00:29
That's perfect, Ali, and those are excellent candidates. Wanna give it a shot?

Ali Tait
03-10-2008, 14:43
I'd like to yes.Could you provide a price including postage please?

jimdgoulding
03-10-2008, 23:03
Indubitably. $63.45US. Just go to my site, Ali, and on the "pics + pay" page you will see a BuyNow button to pay by PayPal or CC. It is not necessary for you to fill out the submission form. Let me know if you have any problem or questions. Cheers.

http://www.diffractionbegone.com

jimdgoulding
04-10-2008, 23:22
Shuggz- Your set is in route. They're black and look good if I do say do myself. Kindly share your impressions. One Adagio customer said his favorite female vocalist now stands up when she sings.

Ali Tait
05-10-2008, 21:40
Hi Jim,

I've just hit the pay now button.Is there a choice of colours?

jimdgoulding
06-10-2008, 02:33
Ali- Thank you. I got it. They are a mid gray as is. Made to look a little brighter in Rob's photos due to the flash. I have no experience dying them anything other than black. At that, I'm pretty good. If you like, you can send me an additional $7.00 and I will dye them for you. If you want to go for another color, I will tell you how to safely dye them yourself but I am too nervous personally about undertaking a custom color for you.

Ali Tait
06-10-2008, 16:11
No worries,just wondered.As is will be fine.

jimdgoulding
07-10-2008, 05:30
I'm jazzed about this customer feedback I got just today from a customer using Von Schweikert speakers so I thought I would share it:

"Jim, after a week of use on the VR1s and VR4JRs I'm convinced these pads are not going back. I really like what they do each of my systems. Overall the impact of the pads seems to be to create sharper transients, more detailed imaging and improved image focus and significantly truer-sounding instrument timber. The general impression is for instruments and vocals to have more of a live performance sound with the sound becoming freed of the speaker boxes. And finally, while nothing actually sounded harsh before the pads, with the pads there seems to be a more effortless, natural-sounding presentation of the music - as though there was some harshness I wasn't aware of that is now gone. It feels like I'm finally hearing what my system is capable of, what I've expected with every other upgrade and never found , and finally hear. Thanks for a giving me the sound I've been looking for.

Next week, RMAF is in town and I was looking forward to attending in order to hear a few speakers I've been interested in. But with these improvements, and the dreadful state of the economy, I can't imagine I'm going to hear anything that can beat what I now have with your pads, without paying what my entire system costs just for speakers. I think you just helped me get off of the upgrade bandwagon. Joe G"

For some people, this can be the missing link. For others, a nice improvement. Removing diffraction and its effects will tell you more about what your system is working in earnest to deliver. I confess to lovin feedback like this. Rob's, too. That's part of what makes it worthwhile for me. It gives me great joy to make this much of a difference for a fellow for fifty five bucks.

dmckean
21-10-2008, 03:29
http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=32

Are my speakers a good canidate for this?

sastusbulbas
21-10-2008, 07:00
Sorry,

But have these not been round the block? An old idea resurrected? I am pretty sure such product/practice/ideas was available during the 80's and 90's?

Not too dissimilar to Russ Andrews Focus rings either? In fact pretty much an old cheap DIY method which has been around for many years but which seems to have been forgotten probably due to less people seeing thick felt in shops these days.

What do you charge for a large sticky back sheet for the customer to cut and fit himself?

I am sure such stuff used to be available form art and craft shops, and maybe even furniture craft stores, various thickness's and ranging from synthetic to real wool.

Early experiments used to involve heavy carpet underlay, (yes such a heavy wool felt underlay did exist once in the UK, though sadly NOT at $60 for a few square inches.

Wool underlay used to be so practical for loudspeaker DIY, anyone know where to get it these days?

The practice used to be to basically cut a blanket out of the stuff with holes for the drivers, some even doubled it up, others fitted it behind grills, and even cut whole sheets to fit the baffle. Another way was to use cork tile with a felt layer bonded on top, again covering the baffle, or a good few inches around the drivers.

You could probably patent the cup idea too, where you take a few mm of plastic cup rim and fix it around a dome tweeter for added effect!

:confused:

jimdgoulding
21-10-2008, 17:41
Dmckean- Yep. I looked at the site. The PMC's have flat baffles and right angles. Sure will. Sastusbulbas suggests that what I make can be made easily enough DIY. The wool I use is very high grade sheep's wool imported from Argentina which I buy by the linear yard, not a synthetic product like what is available in fabric and hardward stores. I do this for its absorption qualities. Any audio product that is hand and machine made and does what it claims to do ought to cost at least $60.00. I'm playing around with a blog and a Youtube video that will explain an awful lot to guys who can't imagine a value to what I make and charge for it. I'm used to Sastasbulbas suppositions. I get them all the time. Mostly from guys our age.

Slatedeck
21-10-2008, 18:01
Hey Jim,

Don't despair mate, I get the same sort of comments constantly,

People copy what I do all the time and then say hey I did this on the cheap, look how cleaver I am....:doh:

Truth is, I've yet to see someone come even close to making a copy of one of our products.

It's all about, materials, workmanship, knowledge, and some real dedication. It takes time, money and a lot of sweat. Even then several years down the line we are still striving to push the boundaries forever further by examining from several aspects.

Simply put, you can't climb the ladder overnight....keep at it mate, many manufactures face the same criticisms.

If they want to make their own, let them, for it won't be one of yours will it !!

Darren

sastusbulbas
21-10-2008, 19:24
Hi guys,

Very perceptive of you, says a lot about one's persona the way they reply LOLAM.

Take a look again, see the question marks, the used to and such. Maybe I did say the wrong thing but was unaware of any definitive statement.

As for me talking tat of different cheaper materials, well maybe? Who knows? Thing is it was in plenty of early DIY articles and HiFi magazines, hell even Spica did such with their speakers (and I saw teh DIY stuff before Spica's arrival), not to mention as I said RA using such material, and NHT with little strips just to name a couple.

I could probably dig into my hiFi magazines, say 1988 upward to find more detail, but the FACT is, the IDEA is not new regardless of your superiority and knowledge. It has been done before.

PS carpet underlay used to be pretty well made and not synthetic.

As for the quote,
People copy what I do all the time and then say hey I did this on the cheap, look how cleaver I am....
Jeez!, plenty of people doing DIY and trying different methods get just as good results on the cheap, particularly in comparison to some of the overpriced hype and FOO that's been spouted out over the years with a little screen printing. Maybe a little more respect for people with less income would be nice, after all many manufacturers made a mint from British audio's cottage industry, and many good ideas were born from it.
What you both could have done is answer in a little more positive manner regarding the product in question, thereby increasing the trust and understanding of the products nature.

Personally I have no idea how good this product is, but I see nothing wrong with discussing how similar products and design has been used in the past, nor do I believe it wrong to mention DIY as an alternative for those with little income if they want an idea of what can be achieved.

During the early 90's I myself used reasonable sized felt squares from DIY stores, they were designed for furniture and had sticky backs, and were just the right thickness and workable with a craft knife for use with dome tweeters, I used them for fitting to the open baffle on Nightingale tweeter sections, they benefited from having around 10mm thickness of felt across the complete tweeter baffle which sat next to the midrange baffle on top of the speaker. A 1" run on top of the bass cab in front of the mid and treble baffles also seemed worthwhile.

You can still buy such stuff, I find it useful for old speakers with dome tweeters which have large areas of bare metal. Such as Coles and Kef T27 for instance, (I also have done the LS3/A type of felt around the driver thing with speakers)

Maybe the materials are not bespoke virgin wool imported from Argentina and only handled by virgins, but I have now decided that it is FOO that your material is superior unless you can provide other examples of inferior material which showed no benefit. (Only joking!)

The reason I asked about it being available in sheets was for all intent due to using Kef R107 speakers 105.4 and Rogers Studio and Linn Kan, but no doubt these old legacy things are shit anyway and your advice will be to burn em and fuck off.

Steve

Edit, Acoustic Research too and also with success LOL

Mike
21-10-2008, 19:42
eh? :scratch:

Oh!... I kind of geddit... but! :D

Slatedeck
21-10-2008, 19:44
Steve, I think you missed the point?

There is nothing wrong with DIY that's all I am but stretched a little bit further. The point I was trying to make was that unless you spend a lot of time in research and development you will never know how it compares to other materials.

Manufacturers tend to do this at great costs most of the time.

Then Billy Joe comes along, cuts up the first piece of, wood, metal, felt, wool heck even slate, that crosses his path, fashions it into something that resembles his first inspiration and then yells "hey guys, look what I did" along with "and it only cost me a dime"
Quite often followed by "it's shite, don't work" and all the other comments that usually compliment such situations.
If it does work, then that's great as that is all that counts.
Isn't it?

If you want to knock someone for their efforts, please have the decency to be able to prove that you can do better and not tout off hearsay that you have read/heard from someone else.

I suppose I have opened up a can of worms now, simply put I think you could have worded your original post a little better.

Darren

Mike
21-10-2008, 19:48

AND!... pass this cost onto the customer! :steam:

Slatedeck
21-10-2008, 19:50
Yes,

But only by doing it this way do all the wonderful toys exist.

Can't have it both ways can you.....:)

Mike
21-10-2008, 19:52
Can't have it both ways can you.....:)

Nope!... tis the way it goes! ;)

sastusbulbas
21-10-2008, 21:39
Steve, I think you missed the point?

There is nothing wrong with DIY that's all I am but stretched a little bit further. The point I was trying to make was that unless you spend a lot of time in research and development you will never know how it compares to other materials.

Then Billy Joe comes along, cuts up the first piece of, wood, metal, felt, wool heck even slate, that crosses his path, fashions it into something that resembles his first inspiration and then yells "hey guys, look what I did" along with "and it only cost me a dime"
Quite often followed by "it's shite, don't work" and all the other comments that usually compliment such situations.
If it does work, then that's great as that is all that counts.
Isn't it?

If you want to knock someone for their efforts, please have the decency to be able to prove that you can do better and not tout off hearsay that you have read/heard from someone else.

I suppose I have opened up a can of worms now, simply put I think you could have worded your original post a little better.

Darren

No Darren, you missed the point.
And your above opinion seems to be what you hit my OP with.

I originally asked questions regarding the item and it's similarity to ideas from the 80's and 90's.

I mentioned a few things and asked questions, its easy to read.

The FACT is that many established speaker companies have done similar things! What is original about this product?

The FACT is that during the early years such methods were used in DIY and with trial and error of different materials many ended up with a preference! What is original about this products development?

The FACT is the products value for money is open to question, nothing wrong with questioning any items value! What is this products material cost? And is a magazine review sufficient reason to raise this value?

In what way is this wool better or different than other wool? Is it different in consistency and construction to RA's product? Am I to believe that if you took two identical rings of felt, or two identical square baffles of felt, one made by RA and one from the above, that the measured difference and difference to the listener 3m away will be proven to be so invariable and consistent with a large variable of speakers to prove it's effectiveness in improving a speakers performance? And hence it's value?

The FACT is that many will be happy with results from cheaper materials, and many reading this will probably think the same, I voiced my own opinion of possibility here, not much else.

You and someone else decided the sort of person I am and labelled accordingly, my original posting was not worded in such a manner as to make me questionable, but if it could have been worded better and so could have the dismissing of me and my views been more constructive? Where would we have ended up?

I was unaware of myself knocking someone else's efforts, NOR do I feel I need to have the decency to prove I can do "better" just because I mentioned that many DIY fans and established manufacturers have tried similar methods and ideas in the past with various success and satisfaction.
These guys have already proved they can do well, I see this product as nothing more than another one of that type, which may well be better and do better.
Russ Andrews re-attempted it, with good reviews and good initial response.

OK as for an example, I think RAAL and Spica proved they could do this well, so far al I see is someone coming along and taking a known and established idea and again bringing it to the attention of a newer audience and attempting to make money from it, and I am suspicious of another FOO material that is apparently better than the competitions.

I am well aware that a larger company could easily construct the same material in bulk for far less, and I put NO extra value on it for being a small production batch product. Why? Because other materials synthetic or not WILL be able to replicate the same performance, and bulk manufacture will be jsut as if not more accurate with the right tooling.

When these are made to measure with specific frequency absorbency and panel dampening specific to the driver/baffle/room maybe I will be even more interested I guess.

But so far all I see is expensive "FELT" to aid diffraction and give a different sound for the buyers to either think is better or worse.

HiFi magazines also reviewed such product in the early years of conception, so don't belittle me or make judgement due to my opinion after reading a short history of a bespoke new product on AOS which looks no different and offers the same sort of benefit as product and ideas I witnessed almost 20 years ago.

So back to my original post!

To quote,
Sorry,
Note; This was an apology in advance of my post, due to it's nature probably not being clear, and being misconstrued.

But have these not been round the block? An old idea resurrected? I am pretty sure such product/practice/ideas was available during the 80's and 90's?
Note; This part was clearly a question which I was hoping the OP would address politely showing in which way his product had been developed and whether or not he had been aware of other manufacturers efforts.

Not too dissimilar to Russ Andrews Focus rings either? In fact pretty much an old cheap DIY method which has been around for many years but which seems to have been forgotten probably due to less people seeing thick felt in shops these days.
Note; The first part a genuine question, the second I can agree seems unfair but in my opinion a reasonable assessment with regard to the use of felt in such applications since the 70's.

What do you charge for a large sticky back sheet for the customer to cut and fit himself?
Note; A Genuine question, and more practical for many enthusiasts.

I am sure such stuff used to be available form art and craft shops, and maybe even furniture craft stores, various thickness's and ranging from synthetic to real wool.
Note; Again a genuine opinion, and not as far as I am aware pointing to my knowledge of said stuff, various felts of various thickness were at one time available to purchase from various sources in Britain!

Early experiments used to involve heavy carpet underlay, yes such a heavy wool felt underlay did exist once in the UK, though sadly NOT at $60 for a few square inches.
Note; Again it is documented in early audio printing that heavy felt underlay made of wool was suitable for DIY with speakers, I see the price point as humour, as back then $60 would underlay a lot of floor/speaker LOL.

Wool underlay used to be so practical for loudspeaker DIY, anyone know where to get it these days?
Note; A question, it would be fun to try similar method again with such a material.

The practice used to be to basically cut a blanket out of the stuff with holes for the drivers, some even doubled it up, others fitted it behind grills, and even cut whole sheets to fit the baffle. Another way was to use cork tile with a felt layer bonded on top, again covering the baffle, or a good few inches around the drivers.
Note; I was only mentioning the sort of practice that was common among DIY enthusiasts in the past. NOT making up shit.

You could probably patent the cup idea too, where you take a few mm of plastic cup rim and fix it around a dome tweeter for added effect!
Note; Tongue in cheek, though this method was taken from a DIY letter in an audio publication which was replied to by Jimmy Hughes, as it made a noticeable difference to even his speakers, one which he though worth printing.

;)
Steve

dmckean
21-10-2008, 21:49
Dmckean- Yep. I looked at the site. The PMC's have flat baffles and right angles. Sure will. Sastusbulbas suggests that what I make can be made easily enough DIY. The wool I use is very high grade sheep's wool imported from Argentina which I buy by the linear yard, not a synthetic product like what is available in fabric and hardward stores. I do this for its absorption qualities. Any audio product that is hand and machine made and does what it claims to do ought to cost at least $60.00. I'm playing around with a blog and a Youtube video that will explain an awful lot to guys who can't imagine a value to what I make and charge for it. I'm used to Sastasbulbas suppositions. I get them all the time. Mostly from guys our age.

Jim,

My order just went through, I included an extra $7.00 so you can dye them black for me.

Thanks,

Dave

sastusbulbas
21-10-2008, 22:19

Hey Jim,

Read my OP properly, I only suggest you can make similar, not YOUR exact product.

Any audio product that is hand and machine made? Pretty vague and only opinion Jim. It is quite simply about profit.

A youtube video to explain to guys who "cant imagine" Sigh.

Used to MY suppositions? Have there been many from me?

Guy's our age? What's this meant to imply? Do you know my age? and what does it matter?

Jim, so far I have seen you "seemingly" take an old idea and add FOO to it to make even more profit from what at the end of the day is nothing more than felt which will make something sound DIFFERENT if applied in the correct manner. (IE I am Pretty sure PMC have a good idea of what they are doing DUH)

Your initial response to my post, it's queries and points, clearly indicates the intent and application of this product, and your state of mind with regard to the matter at hand. Yer a radge! LOL

I am pretty sure if you trawled through enough old DIY audio articles and audio magazines you could find another few obscure practises that you could develop and sell to the general fora members and make even more money.

Then again this could all be spite due to being belittled for asking the wrong questions. I don't mind using felt in such applications, but after looking at a few of your posts and your response to me I think you are doing nothing but taking the piss.

I guess they breed better sheep over in Argentina. How did you find that the Argentinian wool compared to Scottish or New Zealand Lamb, did you try compressed ham?

:ner:

Edit, Take a note of your initial heading, within a section titled "Strokes of Genius" , you put "Discoveries... Hell Yeah!" Aye! but no discovered by you ya copy cat!

:gig:

jimdgoulding
21-10-2008, 22:19
Good deal, Dave. I'll get them on the bench this week. Just one thing, I need to know the width of your speaker cabinets unless all the current models featured on the site are the same. On second thought, tell me your particular model number, too. Thanks.

Marco
21-10-2008, 22:45
Steve,

Have you been on the bevvy tonight, mate? :eyebrows: ;)

I understand where you're coming from but Jim is just trying to make a living the same as anyone else, and I think you've misinterpreted his remarks. His speaker products are no more a "rip off" than 95% of hi-fi accessories on the market, although I don't think they are actually a "rip off" at all. Rob (Filterlab) for example has bought one of his products and found it to be superb, and he's definitely not into Foo.

Now please be a good boy and kiss and make up with Jim :kiss:

Marco.

dmckean
21-10-2008, 23:01
Good deal, Dave. I'll get them on the bench this week. Just one thing, I need to know the width of your speaker cabinets unless all the current models featured on the site are the same. On second thought, tell me your particular model number, too. Thanks.

Jim,

The width is 7.9 inches according to the specs on the website but I'll measure when I get home to make certain. The model is the OB1.

There's a PDF on the website with the dimensions in milimeters here:

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/docs/14565c8e577869_OB1N1-Model.pdf

Update: I just verified that it is 200 mm wide.

sastusbulbas
21-10-2008, 23:14
I don't mind what he is trying to do, but I did not appreciate the what seemed like a belittleing attitude that him and the other addressed my initial curiosity with. Stupidity is one thing, arrogance another.

Not sure how one goes about kissing and making up :scratch:

jimdgoulding
22-10-2008, 06:51
Oh my, this has turned less than nice. I'm not arrogant or stupid (don't get that anybody else here is either tho I do sense a might egoism is about), or a copy cat. I give credit where credit is due. I owned Rogers back in the day who used felt. The first speaker baffles I damped were on my Dahlquist DQ10's. I only decided to offer this as a commercial product when I retired and began enjoying this hobby more than ever. When I did, I did my homework. John Dunlavy held a USTPO patent on this idea that expired in 1999. Vandersteen has used felt around his drivers since day one. I am familiar with most of the brand names mentioned above. I wouldn't dream of implying that they are too old or anything. I listen with 20 year old Meridians myself. Oh contraire, speakers like Linn Kans, etc., are my target market. My message is that they have the potential of sounding better with diffraction effects removed. Keep em. Do what I have done. Only let me do it for you for 28 quid (I think that's about right) as best I am able to determine how. That's my message.

Your question marks in your original post followed what seem to me to be rhetorical questions. Tell me they weren't and I will apologize for being dismissive. It seemed to me that you weren't being just curious, my friend. Anyway, my saying that I use Argentinian felt was just a way of saying that I am going the extra mile. I believe that I am. I experimented with felt from various sources and proper density for myself, first. When I hit on the right factors, I just got locked in. Kudos to the Shetlands. The dollar just goes further down south. And I don't think I deserve to be singled out by your remark "is quite simply about profit" anymore that the designers of the equipment that you or anyone else owns do. I guessed at your age cause it's probably more or less true judging by your knowledge about diffraction control and the equipment you mention. That was implied, to me at least. I guess that could be construed as arrogant. Sorry about that.

There is way too much written already than I care to respond to line by line. One thing tho, when I said "can't imagine", etc, that wasn't meant for you, mate. A lot of people don't know the first thing about diffraction and its effects. Only the manufacturers that are doing something to correct for it ever mention it. But there is a lot of scientific information about it that I can cite. You can too, I imagine.

So, excuse me for trying to make an old tweak into a viable product and trying to get paid for my time, effort and experience. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Don't think it reasonable that I have. One customer suggested to me that I should add pages of customer comments at my website. I thought that was kinda in bad taste.
:uhho: LOL back at you.

sastusbulbas
22-10-2008, 17:45
My apologies :kiss:

jimdgoulding
22-10-2008, 18:35
Stevie- And here I was thinking that the reason it took this long to hear back from you was because you were sharpening up your sabre. Were you for a time? Glad to be wrong, mate, absolutely. No apologies needed to me but that was gracious. Just a little male bonding is what I say. Still got those Kans? :pub:

jimdgoulding
31-10-2008, 04:10
Shuggz; Ali- Don't be reticent, mates.

Ali Tait
01-11-2008, 17:02
Hi Jim,

Not being reticent,got them and fitted them,then got sent to work away! Typical! Not complaining too much though,as I'm staying back in Leeds so have my proper system to listen to.Will post impressions when I've a chance to have a decent listen.

jimdgoulding
02-11-2008, 02:50
David- Your set will be in the wind on Monday. As there has been some dispersion cast about the value at $56.00US*, I would appreciate it if you would comment on the cost vs. value to you in terms of your enhanced enjoyment sonically, if there is one for you, but also to include your assessment of it as a finished product. Listen well. Thanks.

*tho I think this was tempered by some misunderstanding

jimdgoulding
28-12-2008, 03:37
I'm told by members here who most recently purchased my small thing that they would post their impressions at some point. But, it's been so long I'm starting to wonder if something isn't wrong! Do you not like the effect?

This a response I got via email on the 26th (the guy didn't miss much so I thought I would post):

"Hi Jim,

These little babies work well! In fact, I'm surprised at the magnitude of the improvement. They seem to eliminate a lot of 'hash' at the top end which allows more detail to be heard, and this has a positive effect on what can be discerned at mid and lower frequencies, too. As far as I can tell, there are no negatives in the pitch, rhythm, and timing areas (PRaT) and the image is wider, deeper, and more solid without getting that horrible 'floating head' effect with vocalists.

I'll be posting a report on the Naim forum in the next few days and I'll e-mail you a copy. Thank you for a well thought out, inexpensive, and effective product.

Best Regards, Mark"

Anyone have an address for that forum so I can watch for it?

Here's my reply (cause it's relevant):

"Mark- I can tell by your choice of words that nothing is escaping you. I never know in advance how keen a customer's perception will be and what can be expected. The removal of "hash" is nothing more than the removal of diffraction. Your signal will still measure the same on axis in the frequency domain only smoother or more linear between 2 and 6kHz typically on a two way speaker. Off axis there will be a reduction of energy above your crossover of about -4db. Less interference from your side walls, in other words.

I would, indeed, like to encourage you to post your impressions at length in the Naim forum, or any forum. Kindly include how I can be reached. Robert E. Greene gave what I make a Golden Ear Award earlier this year in The Absolute Sound. He's a math professor at UCLA and TAS' resident guru regards in room waveform behavior.

Thank you, Mark. Congratulations to both of us. Happy trails. Jim"

Marco
28-12-2008, 23:23
Sometimes silence is a good thing, Jim. It might mean all users of your product are too busy enjoying music to comment! ;)

Marco.

John
29-12-2008, 06:32
I bought the tweak for myself about 2 months ago and yes it makes a difference on my speakers. Before hand on the digital side I was getting very frustrated, using this tweak was enough to bring back my enjoyment when listening to digital music, it helped ease the harshness I was hearing mostly in the upper middle and treble region
For me it was a cost effective tweak and found Jim easy to deal with
The drawback is its not the best looking tweak so not for everyone

jimdgoulding
29-12-2008, 06:45
Thanks, John. I know they must look particularly peculiar on your speakers. Just looked them up for a refresher. Conversation piece tho, huh? Friends must think you're crazy. Warmest regards. Jim

John
29-12-2008, 07:51
friends already think I am crazy so no worries on that score
:lol:

jimdgoulding
02-01-2009, 00:02
Bet they like what they are hearing, tho. I would still like to hear from the other members who have yet to reply. I posted earlier about a fellow using some Naim Credos. He posted at Naim forum. I saw it and posted a reply. The moderator took it as a conspiracy to push my product (which it wasn't), hacked up the customer's post, wiped out my reply, and banned me. What a dickhead.

Marco
02-01-2009, 11:24
Dear oh dear, Adam Meridith still seems to have the people skills of Osama Bin Laden...

You have my sympathies, Jim!

Marco.

sastusbulbas
02-01-2009, 12:47
Hacked up the customer's post, wiped out my reply, and banned me. What a dickhead.

Happens on all the forums, even here........

Marco
02-01-2009, 16:14
Oi you, behave ;)

Marco.