PDA

View Full Version : A recommended headshell for the SME 3009 /TD124 MKII

The Black Adder
26-03-2014, 08:47
Just wanted to share this. A while ago I bought the AT MG-10 for my Goldring G800. This headshell really suits the 3009 in sonic terms and in a way aesthetically too. It's not in the 1960's style of the original headshell but it's pretty and modular looking so in a way it could be of the 1960's in design.

Sound wise compared to the original perforated SME headshell it really excels. Tighter bass and a much tighter fit in to the arm bayonet too which is great keeping the joint as stiff as possible.

A great suggestion from Marco I might add... Cheers buddy.

Here's a pic.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/blocked/AOS%20system_full/DSC08684.jpg

Marco
26-03-2014, 09:10
Nice one, Joe, and I'm glad it worked out well. Old daftee-boy here kens a thing or two about these matters, you know! ;)

Have you gone back to the G800 now?

The MG-10 is superb, and arguably one of the finest detachable headshells ever made, capable of competing with much more expensive designs.

Due to its highly effective damping properties and rigidity (applied at a critical point of the T/T signal reproduction process), magnesium is a superb material from which to make a headshell, which is why SME use it on their current designs, although they overegg the pudding, and apply too much damping, by manufacturing a whole tonearm from it! :doh:

As we know, achieving good sound is all about synergy, and so marrying a highly-damped headshell with an otherwise 'zingy' (in terms of its resonance properties) stainless steel armtube is, in my experience, an excellent example of such synergy, as you control resonance, at a point where it is most critical, whilst preserving the 'life' and vitality of the music.

I've recently bought a fully NOS MG-10 myself, which I intend to fit with, along with an Isokinetik stabiliser, a hand-selected (identical output on each channel) DL-103, so watch out for the results of that one!

What's the next new toy going to be then, some large oak cone feet for under your preamp? :eek: :D ;)

Marco.

Mika K
26-03-2014, 09:12
I was checking that one out the other day as need new headshell that would work well with my 12" tonearm and heavy DL-103 variant. However need something that can be used with full srews. I'm thinking either UWE headshell, Oyaide HSR-AG, or Yamamoto HS-1A. Any experience of those? :)

The Black Adder
26-03-2014, 09:32
Nice one, Joe, and I'm glad it worked out well. Old daftee-boy here kens a thing or two about these matters, you know! ;)

Have you gone back to the G800 now?

The MG-10 is superb, and arguably one of the finest detachable headshells ever made, capable of competing with much more expensive designs.

Due to its highly effective damping properties and rigidity (applied at a critical point of the T/T signal reproduction process), magnesium is a superb material from which to make a headshell, which is why SME use it on their current designs, although they overegg the pudding, and apply too much damping, by manufacturing a whole tonearm from it! :doh:

As we know, achieving good sound is all about synergy, and so marrying a highly-damped headshell with an otherwise 'zingy' (in terms of its resonance properties) stainless steel armtube is, in my experience, an excellent example of such synergy, as you control resonance, at a point where it is most critical, whilst preserving the 'life' and vitality of the music.

I've recently bought a fully NOS MG-10 myself, which I intend to fit with, along with an Isokinetik stabiliser, a hand-selected (identical output on each channel) DL-103, so watch out for the results of that one!

What's the next new toy going to be then, some large oak cone feet for under your preamp? :eek: :D ;)

Marco.

Cheers Marco.

The G800 was never out of the system to be honest. The Nagaoka was a stand-by cart more than anything but it's a great little 'cheap' thing although a little vailed in the bass areas.

The G800 could do with a new tip to be honest, it's currently a conical one as you know so something else in there would benefit greatly I know.

Yes, the magnesium construction of the MG-10 really does bring itself across over aluminium ones like the Ortofon.

I bought mine incidentally from the AT website, arrived in a few days.

I would 'really' like to give a DL103 a go in this arm sometime and a DECCA. Love the old carts.

Hi Mika. I've no experience with the headshells you have mentioned unfortunately but I can recommend the MG-10 greatly... even if it's for one of your other carts. :)

trio leo
26-03-2014, 11:35
I use the same headshell on my 124/AT 1503 combo and I think it's superb holding the Lyra Delos, I've always liked the construction of Audio Technica products, so well built and designed for purpose.

enjoy your music

regards Al

Kember
26-03-2014, 11:38
I was checking that one out the other day as need new headshell that would work well with my 12" tonearm and heavy DL-103 variant. However need something that can be used with full srews. I'm thinking either UWE headshell, Oyaide HSR-AG, or Yamamoto HS-1A. Any experience of those? :)

Mika

I have a Yamamoto ebony headshell on order from Japan - so no direct experience yet but they make beautiful stuff. I may be able to report in a week-10 days depending on how long our customs people take to process it.

P

P

The Barbarian
26-03-2014, 14:20
http://www.arche-headshell.de/arche-headshell-videos/the-arch%C3%A9-the-true-sra-headshell/

Joe:
What you got spinning on the 'Marmalade' label Julie Driscol/Brian Augur & Trinity?

The Black Adder
26-03-2014, 16:23
http://www.arche-headshell.de/arche-headshell-videos/the-arch%C3%A9-the-true-sra-headshell/

Joe:
What you got spinning on the 'Marmalade' label Julie Driscol/Brian Augur & Trinity?

Aye lad... Nice work there... I was wondering when someone would comment... lol. It's 'Open' - Top album! :)

Mika K
26-03-2014, 18:56
I have a Yamamoto ebony headshell on order from Japan - so no direct experience yet but they make beautiful stuff. I may be able to report in a week-10 days depending on how long our customs people take to process it.

Great! Please let me know the first impressions when available :)

Kember
26-04-2014, 14:51
Re the Yamamoto stuff, i now have the details of the European distributor - http://www.jacmusic.com. They carry the full range plus some other rather nice tubey stuff...

Prices including German VAT seem about the same as importing from Japan and paying duty and VAT etc.

Still waiting for my headshell:(

P

Wakefield Turntables
26-04-2014, 18:40
I thought I'd do my sheep impression. I just bought one of these and some of these http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/cartridges/product.asp?catID=8&subID=59&prodID=4562 i will be using these in the valve system. :D

The Black Adder
26-04-2014, 18:46
Only sharing the wealth matey... Nowt wrong with that

Cracking Headshell, Grommit!

:)

Marco
26-04-2014, 19:22
I thought I'd do my sheep impression. I just bought one of these and some of these http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/cartridges/product.asp?catID=8&subID=59&prodID=4562 i will be using these in the valve system. :D

Copycat! :ner:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
26-04-2014, 19:32
Copycat! :ner:

Marco.

Well if you cant beat em and all that. Seriously, I just got the 3012 back from Audio Origami its had an IKEDA silver rewire and currently I have a new Denon 103 sitting on a crappy technics head shell. I also have the Thomas Schick headshell to play with, now I finally have a deck which work (sorry francois). J7 has worked his magic on my tonearm and I fancied some new kit!