PDA

View Full Version : Digital hifi question ?

Audio Al
23-03-2014, 19:04
I DONT do digital but have a question :scratch:

If digital is regarded as good and getting better why do you need a DAC to convert the file from digital back to analog :scratch:, Or am I missing something ?

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2014, 19:06
Cos yer lug'oles is analog and so is yer amp.

Tim
23-03-2014, 19:22
Eloquently put Chris and correct too ;)

Rothchild
23-03-2014, 19:39
If analogue is so good, why do we have to drag a stone through a groove (or rub a coil over the tape) to hear it? Why can't we just hear the music straight off the source?

Firebottle
23-03-2014, 19:42
So you're going to have the LSO in your lounge then?

Audio Al
23-03-2014, 19:47
So you're going to have the LSO in your lounge then?

OK I give up , Whats a LSO ?

Tim
23-03-2014, 19:47
Why can't we just hear the music straight off the source?
Because its inferior to analogue Marc, have you not been paying attention ;)

OK I give up , Whats a LSO ?
London Symphony Orchestra Al . . .

walpurgis
23-03-2014, 20:26
I wouldn't bother with the LSO. I had them in last week and they started clipping at just moderate levels! :eyebrows:

Macca
23-03-2014, 20:29
I wouldn't bother with the LSO. I had them in last week and they started clipping at just moderate levels! :eyebrows:

Lol :)

nat8808
23-03-2014, 20:39
Can't work out whether this is a joke thread or a funny way of starting a analogue/digital argument.. Sometimes Al asks how to connect a speaker, then next time seems to have refurbished a complicated amp. :scratch:

If it's the later, a go at digital, as Rothchild said a DAC is no different in concept to converting physical grooves into an electric signal the amp can move the speaker cone with. One could say that the digital electrical signal is much closer to the required electrical signal the amp needs (DSD very close indeed!) and that vinyl has to go through a much more convoluted conversion process from what is quite far removed from the required electrical signal, a physical groove in a piece of plastic.

I often put a record on top of the speaker hoping some music will come out but oddly I'm always rewarded with silence.

Audio Al
24-03-2014, 14:04
Can't work out whether this is a joke thread or a funny way of starting a analogue/digital argument.. Yes it was a serious post Sometimes Al asks how to connect a speaker, then next time seems to have refurbished a complicated amp. I have not refurbished a complicated amp , I am trying to repair a old Trio amp that cost me £5.50

If it's the later, a go at digital, as Rothchild said a DAC is no different in concept to converting physical grooves into an electric signal the amp can move the speaker cone with. One could say that the digital electrical signal is much closer to the required electrical signal the amp needs (DSD very close indeed!) and that vinyl has to go through a much more convoluted conversion process Sounds great though from what is quite far removed from the required electrical signal, a physical groove in a piece of plastic.

I often put a record on top of the speaker hoping some music will come out but oddly I'm always rewarded with silence. You need a record player

No need to try and analyze me , I am a Zoomer nut :lol::D