PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the right forum?

ballymenaman
22-03-2014, 01:19
Hello.

I am currently using a Marantz CD6004 as my CD player. I bought it as my trusty old Marantz CD63 player had developed a fault - intermittent cutting out on the right channel. This might have been something simple but I reckoned that, with it being 20 years old, it wouldn't be worth even getting it looked at. I also reckoned technology would have moved on sooooo far that a 1993 player couldn't possibly be as good as a new model.

Am I wrong???

If it was working, what would the CD63 be worth (cosmetically its totally mint)?

jandl100
22-03-2014, 06:50
Yes, right forum!

As for CD players, a good old'un can be as good or better than a good new one.
See this thread for example http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31326-Technics-SL-P1200-Pro-CD-Player

But unless you have a friend who is good at tinkering it may not be cost effective to get your CD63 fixed. It could be a simple fix (eg. loose connection, bad solder joint) or it may be more than that. Nice player, though.

As for value, which model CD63 is it? - there's been a few over the years.
Take a look at eBay completed listings - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=marantz+cd63&_ipg=192&rt=nc

agk
22-03-2014, 08:33
Yup, what Jerry said, a nice deck in all forms and some of those have higher value than others. The KI sig variant being particularly well regarded among those.

Cd player building hasn't really changed in years so a good deck is pretty much a good deck and it might be argued that older decks were better made/designed.

Gordon Steadman
22-03-2014, 08:45
I still use my 63SE in a bedroom system and apart from a slightly dodgy drawer, it still sounds great to me. However, I wouldn't be spending money on it if it needed fixing. I got a Philips player on French eBay for €10 and it sounds just as good frankly. I use the Philips in the main system. My wife has the good Pioneer in her system and that really does sound a lot better but you need to spend a bit.

Until you get up into the expensive stuff, I reckon they all sound pretty similar unless 'really' badly designed.

Macca
22-03-2014, 09:46
I still use my 63SE in a bedroom system and apart from a slightly dodgy drawer, it still sounds great to me. However, I wouldn't be spending money on it if it needed fixing. I got a Philips player on French eBay for €10 and it sounds just as good frankly. I use the Philips in the main system. My wife has the good Pioneer in her system and that really does sound a lot better but you need to spend a bit.

Until you get up into the expensive stuff, I reckon they all sound pretty similar unless 'really' badly designed.

I've found that there are quite significant differences in the way CD players are 'voiced' even at the budget end of the spectrum. Although it is not that surprising that a Phillips and a Marantz would sound similar as they will be from the same 'stable'. But I suppose what is classed as a 'significant difference ' will vary from person to person and system to system.

jandl100
22-03-2014, 09:49
I've found that there are quite significant differences in the way CD players are 'voiced' even at the budget end of the spectrum. Although it is not that surprising that a Phillips and a Marantz would sound similar as they will be from the same 'stable'. But I suppose what is classed as a 'significant difference ' will vary from person to person and system to system.

+1 :)

Gordon Steadman
22-03-2014, 11:18
I acknowledge that this true. However, its this 'significant difference' bit that always amuses me. As you say, no doubt some people might find a 1% difference significant whereas I think they are near as dammit the same. I did say 'pretty similar' though:)

I still think the basic question is whether or not the 63 is worth spending money on and I would still say no considering how cheaply good alternatives are available.

Spectral Morn
22-03-2014, 11:32
Hello.

I am currently using a Marantz CD6004 as my CD player. I bought it as my trusty old Marantz CD63 player had developed a fault - intermittent cutting out on the right channel. This might have been something simple but I reckoned that, with it being 20 years old, it wouldn't be worth even getting it looked at. I also reckoned technology would have moved on sooooo far that a 1993 player couldn't possibly be as good as a new model.

Am I wrong???

If it was working, what would the CD63 be worth (cosmetically its totally mint)?

Hanna's in Eniskillen https://plus.google.com/110499838345089790108/about?gl=uk&hl=en can probably fix this, Rodney has my Marantz CD7 at the minute. He is an audio enthusiast and does the repairs for most of the audio shops in NI. He will deal direct so go to him, and bypass the dealers markup on a repair.

Regards Neil

ballymenaman
22-03-2014, 14:30
Thanks Neil

Fixed it myself!!!

I thought - what the hell - little to lose if it goes wrong! Opened it up to see if there was anything obvious (i.e. physical, cos I wouldn't have a clue about anything to do with caps/resistors etc). Removed the PCB - very straightforward. Had a good look with a lupe and I noticed hairline cracks in the input joints. I guess that jiggling about of interconnects over the years had done it. Drop of flux and silver solder et voila! Perfect working order!!

And........................... it sounds every bit as good as the almost new CD6004 (if not a tiny touch better). Only real difference is that the 63 has a noisier mechanism!

Gordon Steadman
22-03-2014, 14:54
Thanks Neil

Fixed it myself!!!

I thought - what the hell - little to lose if it goes wrong! Opened it up to see if there was anything obvious (i.e. physical, cos I wouldn't have a clue about anything to do with caps/resistors etc). Removed the PCB - very straightforward. Had a good look with a lupe and I noticed hairline cracks in the input joints. I guess that jiggling about of interconnects over the years had done it. Drop of flux and silver solder et voila! Perfect working order!!

And........................... it sounds every bit as good as the almost new CD6004 (if not a tiny touch better). Only real difference is that the 63 has a noisier mechanism!

Excellent news.:cool:

Spectral Morn
22-03-2014, 15:39
Thanks Neil

Fixed it myself!!!

Well done and avoided a £40 to £50 bill if done through a hifi dealer. Rodney wouldn't have charged you much to do this by the way.

Do you leave it on all the time, if not it will sound better if you do.

Regards Neil

agk
22-03-2014, 20:36
Good effort. Score one for having a go and fixing it. Back of the net!