PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Austin, Texas

bfried68
21-03-2014, 15:40
Hi,

My name is Brad and I have recently started the process of building out a system that I started acquiring in bits and pieces about 10 years ago. I found the AOS forum as I started to get interested in vinyl and more specifically the Technics SL-1200 and available modifications. The core of my system is the Sansui integrated amp and Sony ES player both of which I bought in mint in box condition when I was working in Japan, and I am adding on from there. I am able to run the Japan spec equipment safely in the States using a step-down transformer.

What I have so far:

Sansui AU-07 Anniversary integrated amplifier
Sony 557 ESD CD player
Devore Gibbon 88 speakers

Turntables:
Thorens TD-124 Mk I
Technics SL-1300 Mk1
Technics SL-1200 M3D
Technics SL-1200 Mk6
Technics SL-1200 MK5GK

Nissyo SDX-1500U 120V->100V step down transformer

Looking forward to sharing more about my system as it comes together!

John
21-03-2014, 19:07
Some nice gear Bradley be great to see some pictures
What music do you enjoy

Tim
21-03-2014, 19:52
Hi Brad and welcome to AoS from me, I love Austin, beautiful place and so much music. Hope to soon be a regular visitor to SXSW.

I too would be very interested to hear what your music tastes are coming from such a place?

That's a lot of turntables too!

Kember
21-03-2014, 19:55
Bradley

Welcome!

What a place to live!

I have very fond memories of a short visit to Austin a couple of years ago when I was on holiday in Bandera further south in Texas - we paid a homage to Threadgill's, ate meat galore from the J Mueller BBQ, had an evening at the Elephant Room, emptied Waterloo, Friends of Sound and Antone's of music (or at least my wallet in the attempt). I think I could spend two weeks there and go to a different high quality venue every night.

I also met a very nice Texas State Trooper who let me off with a warning for speeding after I explained my weakness for American hemis:lol:.

I must say I'm not sure you need that much musical reproduction equipment when you have such a vibrant live music scene...:)

Best

Peter

johnB
21-03-2014, 23:47
Hi Bradley and welcome,

I'm just back to UK from 10 days in Austin for SXSW. What a town, what musical choice.
Like Peter I spent time in Waterloo, Friends of Sound and End of an Ear for LPs.

The Continental Club is my favourite music venue anywhere I've been in the world.

Cheers
john

bfried68
22-03-2014, 21:25
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I mainly collect classic Jazz recordings, pretty standard Coltrane, Monk, and Davis. I also like modern performers. Two favorites of mine are Josh Redman and Frank Catalano. Female Jazz vocals are always delightful as well. I never get tired of Cassandra Wilson. I play classical guitar so I'm a sucker for John Williams as well. (-:

I'm working on my turntable collection to find my favorites through rigorous listening. It will surely work itself to a mangable number. (-:

Pic of my Sansui AU-07 Anniversary:

http://www.screencast.com/t/tmXpkLJorUz (http://www.screencast.com/t/tmXpkLJorUz)

And Sony 557 ESD:

http://www.screencast.com/t/WbUH9TYEC (http://www.screencast.com/t/WbUH9TYEC)

More pics to come!

Cheers,

Brad

Kember
22-03-2014, 22:48
It will surely work itself to a mangable number. (-:

Brad

It is an objective and demonstrable fact that no man can ever have enough turntables.

But I understand the notion of manageability.

That number is reached with the one you have to squeeze onto the top of the wardrobe in the guest bedroom i.e. when you have run out of all other available space! Mind you, Texas is big enough for you to be able to acquire a shed or two...:lol:

P

bfried68
22-03-2014, 23:43
Haha, right you are!

Just when I think I have the decks I need, I discover another one! (-:
I really want to do a head to head comparison of my TD-124 with a Garrard 301, and then again with the Technics M3D that I am modding into a super deck.
Fantastic fun! :)

Brad