PDA

View Full Version : Sonos question

mr sneff
17-03-2014, 11:40
Hi, anbody using Sonos for streaming? I'm thinking of getting a Sonos Connect + Bridge for streaming (mainly Spotify). Are there any advantages over streaming via a laptop into a DAC? Advantages/drawbacks generally? Thanks!

WAD62
17-03-2014, 12:23
Hi David, I'm not a Sonos user so this is only a generic Streamer v PC view...

I use Squeezeboxes (fairly similar in architecture to Sonos), which really come into their own when one uses them in conjunction with a central server, so multiple clients with a single central Server app and music catalogue.

Lots of smartphone apps out there to control things too...

But if your requirements are purely spotify, in one room only, it's a bit hard to argue the toss...particularly if you have a spare laptop lying around

shevans
17-03-2014, 13:00
The only disadvantage is that Sonos does not do hires audio.

Over a laptop you have the advantage of not cluttering your hi fi space with a computer and presuming you have either an Android or ios device then you have a great controller / interface.

The audio quality from line out is very good but you can also add a Dac at some stage if wanted. I have had Sonos equipment since 2005 and whilst tried several alternatives always end up back with Sonos.

roob
17-03-2014, 13:23
A recent Sonos convert here.
I started with a Play1 and bridge for the kitchen then got a Connect a couple of weeks ago.
I use my dac with the Connect into the rest of the system and it is as good as my normal Macbook/dac playback method.
I still use the macbook for any hires stuff I have but the Sonos user interface is just so slick.

orbscure
17-03-2014, 14:42
I'm a Sonos user too and love the ease with which I can stream all of my favourite internet radio stations as well as music from my external network drive. The iPhone and android apps are easy top use too but, as shevens correctly says, the lack of hires file support is the only downside...

Pete

slate
17-03-2014, 16:14
Have Sonos solved the limitations in the number of tracks the system can handle? it was something like 60.000 tracks depending on the amount of tags...

mr sneff
17-03-2014, 17:07
Thanks for the answers so far, guys. I'm planning on using it with my Beresford Caiman (gatorized) so SQ shouldn't be a problem. How about setting up a NAS drive, what gear do I need? Any recommendations for the NAS drive? Do I plug the drive into my wifi modem or the Sonos bridge? Can Sonos play tracks from the drive 'natively' or does it have to go through media player software such as J River? Does it make a difference what software was used to tag the files? Not all tags seem to be recognised by different programs in my experience.

Tim
17-03-2014, 17:08
Have Sonos solved the limitations in the number of tracks the system can handle? it was something like 60.000 tracks depending on the amount of tags...
Unless they have changed anything very recently I would say the answer is still no, the upper 'maximum' limit is still 65,000 individual files/tracks. I have no personal experience of this but this has been reported as possibly being a lot less, especially for FLAC and was something that for me ruled out Sonos, as I would be close to exceeding it. There are possible workarounds apparently, but again nothing I have tried personally.

Its simplicity though is very attractive, especially when streaming music around a house if the occupants have smart-phones and tablets.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/what_limitations_are_there_when_adding_my_local_mu sic_library_to_sonos

roob
17-03-2014, 17:24
I have a large external HD with most of my music connected to a mac mini in another part of the house.
The mini is connected to my router via ethernet the Sonos Bridge is connected to the same router via ethernet the Connect/Play 1 picks up the files from the HD via wireless at the moment but I may run another cable to it when I get time.
No need for any other media player.

shevans
17-03-2014, 18:33
You can plug the NAS into the network port of ANY Sonos device, the WD Mybook is recommended regularly on the Sonos forum. Do also consider backing up your music to another location. Sonos accesses the music as you say natively.

As for tags and artwork, I'm afraid you will just have to see how well your current tags work. There is software called Bliss which is great for Artwork but also allows tag editing.

mr sneff
17-03-2014, 18:55
You can plug the NAS into the network port of ANY Sonos device, the WD Mybook is recommended regularly on the Sonos forum. Do also consider backing up your music to another location. Sonos accesses the music as you say natively.

Have you compared the SQ of ripped files via Sonos to files played via, say, J River? Just wondering if there is any difference.

selby
17-03-2014, 18:57
Get a Bluesound...

mr sneff
17-03-2014, 19:19
Get a Bluesound...

Hi James, do you use Bluesound?

selby
17-03-2014, 19:21
Just about to buy a Bluesound Node, the fact it handles HiRes sold it to me. I couldn't find anything else in the market.

AlfaGTV
17-03-2014, 19:33
Very pleased Sonos user here! Have also tried Squeezebox (Classic) but its way behind Sonos in my system when both are used as a digital transport only. The Touch was a lot better, still preferred Sonos though, but only by a small margin.
Have also tried a Bluesound which seemed to sound really nice, but i was unable to make any comparisons at the time. Major loss though, that it only sports an optical SPDIF output unlike Sonos/Squeeze.

The controlling app is really Sonos home territory on the iDevices, so simple my mum could use it!
Bluesounds app comes close and does a few more options. Squeeze does not play in the same league here imo. Besides, Squeeze is the only one of these that require a Server side application on your NAS/computer. The other are good to go with only a network share, which means a decently modern router with an USB hard drive would suffice.

Sonos and Bluesound are for pipl who like to enjoy their music, computers and squeeze are for pipl who like to mess about with their computers... ;)

Atb & of course IMO
Mike

Tim
17-03-2014, 19:46
Major loss though, that it only sports an optical SPDIF output unlike Sonos/Squeeze.
I'm just reading the manual now and it has optical and RCA outputs on the Bluesound Node?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/bluesound_zps9b077d7f.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/bluesound_zps9b077d7f.jpg.html)

http://www.bluesound.com/system/resources/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSIwMjAxNC8wMi8yMC8xNS8wNi8wNC82NjgvT0 1fTk9ERV8xMV8yXzE0LnBkZgY6BkVU/OM-NODE-11-2-14.pdf

AlfaGTV
17-03-2014, 19:48
I'm just reading the manual now and it has optical and RCA outputs on the Bluesound Node?

http://www.bluesound.com/system/resources/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSIwMjAxNC8wMi8yMC8xNS8wNi8wNC82NjgvT0 1fTk9ERV8xMV8yXzE0LnBkZgY6BkVU/OM-NODE-11-2-14.pdf

Sorry for being unclear, the Bluesound Node does only have optical DIGITAL output!
No electrical SPDIF, that is!

Atb Mike

shevans
17-03-2014, 19:52
Whilst the Bluesound Node sounds like a great option I decided against purchasing one. The reason is that NAD the company behind/alongside Bluesound have previoupsly dropped streamers, support and updates. the C446 springs to mind along with a M series. At the moment Bluesound does offer Qobuz (like Sonos) but as yet no Spotify or the like, also lack of alarm / snooze feature means I cannot use Bluesound in the Bedrooms and the worse bit is UK dealership will be via Sevenoaks.

shevans
17-03-2014, 19:55
Have you compared the SQ of ripped files via Sonos to files played via, say, J River? Just wondering if there is any difference.

Sorry no, I'm using a Mac.

roob
17-03-2014, 20:17
I cannot hear any significant difference between files played on my Jriver19/MBP and Sonos.

tpbholm
18-03-2014, 18:29
I use the Sonos Connect and Bridge with a Western Digital 2TB NAS, an Audiolab M-DAC and an Amptastic Mini-1 in power amp mode. Sonos is simplicity itself to use. The app is very user friendly although its just about to be upgraded. Sound quality through the M-DAC is superb.
If you're looking for for Hi Res output it's worth considering a LIV ZEN music server as your NAS. The ZEN works seamlessly with Sonos and it can also output high res through its USB output, all you need is a compatible USB DAC to connect to your amplifier. I've just added one to my system and it is an excellent bit of kit. LIV themselves are ultra helpful with any questions / problems - they rewrote a part of the software to take account of latency caused by my satellite based broadband.

roob
18-03-2014, 18:57
Trevor
Are you saying the Sonos app can be used to play your hires files from the LIV?

shevans
20-03-2014, 13:58
I see that the latest Bluesound update now works with Deezer and JUKE (German music service), so if they keep this up Bluesound may be a viable alternative. Deezer via hardware streamers is only 128kpbs but i learned from tech support that this month (March 2014) an update will then give 320kbps on hardware streamer such as Bluesound and Sonos.

tpbholm
20-03-2014, 15:52
Hi Andy

No, the LIV can output hi-res audio but not using the Sonos app. In fact it uses the Squeezebox Server on a Mac or PC or the iPeng app on an iPad / Android tablet. I'm hoping that in the not too distant future Sonos will upgrade its software and the controller app to include hi-res output.

mr sneff
20-03-2014, 16:31
Hi Andy

No, the LIV can output hi-res audio but not using the Sonos app. In fact it uses the Squeezebox Server on a Mac or PC or the iPeng app on an iPad / Android tablet. I'm hoping that in the not too distant future Sonos will upgrade its software and the controller app to include hi-res output.

There's a thread on Pink Fish Media that suggests that Sonos have no intention of supporting hi-res http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153636 apparently Sonos runs on 20 bit and to move to 24 bit would involve a major redesign (I'm paraphrasing, I've no idea if that's an accurate picture or not).

tpbholm
21-03-2014, 16:22
Oh well, I can live without hi-res on Sonos. It's still a very good system and is perfectly suited for use as the hifi in my living room. It's no inconvenience to switch to the Zen for hi-res music files. My main music system is vinyl based in a separate room anyway..

mikeyb
01-04-2014, 06:58
Hi,

Just be aware that you need a Spotify subscription for it to work on Sonos gear ;)

I didn't know this prior to buying a Play 1 for daughters bedroom, but have to say other than that its brilliant.

Mike.

mr sneff
01-04-2014, 08:03
Hi,

Just be aware that you need a Spotify subscription for it to work on Sonos gear ;)

I didn't know this prior to buying a Play 1 for daughters bedroom, but have to say other than that its brilliant.

Mike.

Yes, I have a Spotify subscription, Mike, Sonos being delivered today!

SLS
01-04-2014, 08:34
I've had a Sonos in the kitchen for a couple of years.

The wife likes it as it is so easy to use. She controls it with her iPhone.

Much of my music is ripped on an AVA Media Zara Premium and backed up on an iomega network drive connected to the Sky modem. That backup drive is used as the Sonos source, although the Sonos will index anything on the network.

Tim
01-04-2014, 08:47
Yes, I have a Spotify subscription, Mike, Sonos being delivered today!
I'm pretty sure you need Spotify Premium (https://www.spotify.com/uk/sonos/) to play on the Sonos, not just a Spotify account?
If you already know this, just ignore me ;)