PDA

View Full Version : BAT Valve power amp ( possibly with Pre)

take5
15-03-2014, 14:34
Sorry, I missed a bit of info out of the title.
It is a BAT VK 60 power amp

I bought this from Wammer Dom last October and really like it.
At the time, I had a pair of Audio Innovation 2nd audios, which were also great and which I really liked too. I decided that the BAT was better ( no mean feat ) so I sold the AI monos.
It sounds really great, producing a lovely tone quality, with lots of weight to the sound.

Quite a few Wammers have heard this in my house at various get togethers. I also took it to a Wam Bake Off back in January. I used it at Scalford this year, and my system seems to have been very well received.
It always goes down well and receives favourable comments.

In fact at Scalford, 2 visitors asked about buying it. It wasn’t for sale then so the conversation didn’t go further. I don’t know who they were, but if reading this, please get in touch.

At Scalford 2 weeks ago, I had no plans to sell it. I was very happy with it.
But things have changed in the last week and I now have another pair of AI 2nd audios. This pair are a few notches up from the previous pair, having been heavily modded and with Border Patrol PSUs. They sound fantastic too and I would like to keep them, to experience them, and enjoy them for a while.

These AI monos are the ONLY reason I am selling this BAT. And even then, there isn’t a lot between the amps. Just different. I just want to experience the AIs for longer, so sadly the BAT must go.

So, to the BAT. First thing to say is that it is large and heavy. I think 38 kgs.
It is not for the faint hearted !

It is an American amp, approx 6 years old, and costs approx £6000 new. It uses the 6C33CB valve and produces 60 w per channel.
The inputs on the rear are for Balanced only, but Dom kindly gave me an interconnect with Balanced at one end and RCA at the other. I subsequently bought a pair of Balanced interconnects. Both sets of I/C will be included.
It works well with either set of leads, into both my Django Passive pre and my Audio Innovations L2 active pre.

When I bought it, Dom advised that one if the Ceramic bases needed replacing, so the amp wasn’t quite at its best. I took it over to Mike Powell in Bolton and he installed 4 Bases and checked it over. It came back sounding better, and I have loved owning it and listening to the sounds it has helped to produce. Probably the best my system has sounded, to date.

I have been in touch with Dom and he has kindly agreed to me linking to a thread of his, in which he posted some very good pictures of the amp.
Here it is.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?72611-I-am-confused&highlight=am+confused

I mentioned my two pre amps.
I havent listened to the AI L2 yet, but will do soon. I will be selling one of these pres. If anyone wants a complete pre/power package, it would be possible.

I live in Lancs and anyone is very welcome here to see and hear it. Im afraid posting is out of the question. I may be able to deliver, depending on where you are.

I wil be up and down to Scotland quite a few times in the next month or so. So delivery there is very possible.

My price is £1350.

Spectral Morn
15-03-2014, 15:22
Nice amplifier, but dates from about around 1995 and was replaced in 2000 with the VK75

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/766/index.html

I have a VK75 the one that followed it and its lovely, loads of power and quite a bit of single ended delicacy something 6C33c valves do well. Best used in a fully balanced set up. Good luck with the sale.

Regards Neil

take5
15-03-2014, 16:41
Neil, thanks for your input. In the thread that I link to, there is a link to the Ebay auction by a dealer. In that he claims it is 6 years old. I took my info from that.

No intention on my part to deceive, and my apologies if Im wrong.

take5
16-03-2014, 16:32
New price £1300............................................. .....

take5
18-03-2014, 18:49
Still available.

I may be interested in a Quality SUT, if anyone has anything that we could include in some kind of deal.

take5
21-03-2014, 11:46
Bump

take5
30-03-2014, 16:10
New price £1250