PDA

View Full Version : Hello there

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 17:17
A while back I started getting back into Hifi after several years.

Started by getting my trusty Denon PM 350II, Marantz CD63SE and Mission 780 speakers out of the attic and set them up. After having listened to my CDs through my DVD player and TV for ages, I had forgotten how good even a modest Hifi can sound!!

After a while the cd 63 player started cutting out on one channel so bought myself a new CD6004. Then became dissatisfied with the speakers and was bought a pair of Focal Chorus 726v speakers for my 50th Birthday - now we're getting somewhere I thought!!

The amp! you exclaim! What about the amp!

Well - I then bought a Marantz PM7200 off ebay. Mistake. Turned out to be faulty - cutting out at high volume. It's now in for repair and the Denon is back in use!!

I also recently blew the dust of my ancient Rega Planar 2 deck, bought a new Audio Tecnica AT95 cartridge and started listening to vinyl again. You can't beat the sound but you CAN beat the crackles!! Bought an Angle Audio MM phono amp off ebay. Again a mistake - faulty and returned - but when it did work it taught me the value of a quality phono stage. I'll be following this up, I think.

I like listening to all sorts of music. Some favourites are Pink Floyd, ELO, Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy, Fleetwood Mac. Odd bit of classical, Jazz and metal. Look forward to sound advice from you experts out there.

The Grand Wazoo
14-03-2014, 18:40
Hi Andy,
Welcome to The Art of Sound.
Thanks a lot for a great first post.

Cheers