PDA

View Full Version : Digital Hi-Res Downloads - Any Interest?

DaveK
26-06-2009, 12:22
Hi Guys,
Please see the link below which offeres DVD-A downloads across a wide range of music genres: - (note it's located in China if this is of concern to any).

http://www.sacdlab.cn/new_items.htm

I've dowloaded the sample tracks and failed with a half-hearted attempt to play them but that's down to me - I know that others, more knowledgeable, had no such problem.
Hope it is of interest to some.
Cheers,

lovejoy
26-06-2009, 12:56
Hi Dave,
Interesting stuff. It seems that all the music is downloaded as .iso images, ready for burning straight to a blank DVD. What you need then is the correct software/hardware to play it back, i.e. either a hardware DVD-Audio player, or a PC running Windows and a copy of WinDVD and a soundcard that will handle DVD-Audio data, such as a Creative Audigy card.

All looks a bit of a faff really. I suspect this site is not 100% legal as it seems that they've been busy ripping and converting SACD and DVD-Audio discs for sale rather than just supply high resolution audio that can be played straight from any computer using 24-bit FLAC or WAV files.

Stratmangler
26-06-2009, 13:44
Hi Rich

There is some very expensive software out there from Minnetonka called Discwelder Chrome http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/products/discwelder03.html .

Looking at the capabilities list it can support DSD to PCM conversion.

Possibly the folks behind the site use this software to process legitimately obtained DSD files to DVD-A steams.

NOTE - I did only say possibly !

Nor am I making any allegations against the site or its' operators.

Chris:eyebrows:

lovejoy
26-06-2009, 14:20
That software will convert between DSD and DVD-A formats, but what it doesn't mention is circumventing the copy protection used when making commercial DVD/SACD discs. Now there are ways and means of getting around it, but not legally, which is why I suspect that these people are selling disc copies that have been stripped of any copy protection which have not exactly been endorsed by the record companies.

It seems very strange that they are selling iso images of discs.