PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 136: 11/03/2014: Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (1975)

Album Club
11-03-2014, 00:14
Lawrence (losenotaminute) is having a go at it this week. Thanks a lot Lawrence.
Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (1975)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/ciu/fd/18/e7ee012912a0b78120d43210.L.jpg

Full album is available on Grooveshark: Born To Run (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Born+To+Run/1653898)

You will find YouTube links to the full album in the correct running order at the bottom of this post.

Spotify doesn't have the album listed but there is a live version of the title track on Springsteen's superb 'Live 1975-1985' boxed set:

spotify:track:4bYaPPI1iScpxIhBQYRD69.

After what one might call a "mixed" reaction to my previous selections of 1980s music, I am going for one of the classic rock albums of all time. My selection this time is Bruce Springsteen & the E Street's Band's breakthrough album,

The album's Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Run)

Released in August 1975 and performed live from mid 1974, BTR launched Springsteen's career as one of the world's legendary rock and roll performers. BTR regularly appears on lists of the top albums of all time.

Track listing:
Side A
Thunder Road
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Night
Backstreets
Side B
Born to Run
She's the One
Meeting Across the River
Jungleland

Such was the positive reception of BTR by both critics and the public that Springsteen appeared on the covers of both Time and Newsweek in the same week in October 1975.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/11363746124_6294de1c37.jpghttp://farm3.staticflickr.com/2878/11363760474_90143b8e32.jpg

BTR was Bruce's third album. During the lengthy production process, Springsteen first began working with producer John Landau, a relationship which continued on many subsequent albums. It also marked the beginning of the end of Springsteen's relationship with his first producer and manager, Mike Appel, a relationship which resulted in a lengthy court battle.

From Wikipedia - "The album is noted for its use of introductions to set the tone of each song (all of the record was composed on piano, not guitar), and for the Phil Spector-like "Wall of Sound" arrangements and production. Indeed, Springsteen has said that he wanted BTR to sound like 'Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan, produced by Spector'."

From my perspective the album represents a definite shift in style from Springsteen's previous two albums, 'Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.' and 'The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle'. The songs' narratives focus on Springsteen's familiar themes of communities under pressure, growing up and of course - girls and cars. The lyrics are highly sophisticated and show the benefit of the extensive re-writing. While retaining the poetic nature of the previous albums, they draw you into the songs and complement the rythmns and music in a way that few artists can achieve.

I hope you enjoy the album.

Lawrence

Thunder Road
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

RMB3M43AEpc BL-HL3ELvFI

Night
Backstreets

EGe1bKEdEag oID_fZDtcs0

Born To Run
She's The One

Wk9bZuTOamg f3t9SfrfDZM

Meeting Across The River
Jungleland

jTbX2LYZx2A JR_0nbEzVdY

Roy S
11-03-2014, 00:25
Always been a favourite (but prefer Greg Kihn's version of 'Thunder Road'), 9 from me

John
11-03-2014, 05:41
I love the title track a American Anthem so speak certainly a Bruce Anthem. Unfortunately most of the rest of the album I find a bit bland. A 6 from me mostly because I love the title track

Tim
11-03-2014, 09:08
I'll spin this later before I vote, I only have 8 Springsteen albums but this is one of them and its at least 2 years since I last played it. I think my favourite album is Nebraska at the moment, but who knows ;)

EDIT:
Well that surprised me, I fully expected to vote 6/7 but after a listen I'm going for 8 as I really enjoyed hearing it again. I really don't care for She's The One, but that's the only track I don't enjoy. Best tracks for me are BTR, Backstreets, Jungleland and Meeting Across the River. Nowt wrong with my production, I have an early US pressing.

Audioman
11-03-2014, 09:40
Not the best Bruce album IMO and suffers from the production style like much of his catalogue. Chance to dig it out and give it first listen in years.

losenotaminute
12-03-2014, 19:44
Not the best Bruce album IMO and suffers from the production style like much of his catalogue. Chance to dig it out and give it first listen in years.

Paul, I agree that the production style of BTR (and several others) is not ideal. Have you tried the Live 75-85 boxed-set? For me that sounds by far the best in terms of production.

Barry
13-03-2014, 01:11
Now that's more like it! Excellent choice Lawrence - 8/10 from me.

Needs to be played loud, then there is a good 'live' feel to the album. I have no qualms about the production, you either like the Phil Spector style or you don't: I do.

However IMO, Springsteen needs to be seen live on stage in order to best appreciate him.

Tim
13-03-2014, 10:49
However IMO, Springsteen needs to be seen live on stage in order to best appreciate him.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/imagesqtbnANd9GcScRUL96JsdyvwiFGy7b_zps09d6abe9.jp g (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/imagesqtbnANd9GcScRUL96JsdyvwiFGy7b_zps09d6abe9.jp g.html)

johnB
16-03-2014, 16:29
Lawrence, good choice.

For me it's an 8/10, but only because it is bettered later in Springsteen's canon of work on several occasions.....current top 5 for me....

- Darkness on the Edge of Town
- Nebraska
- Tunnel of Love
- The Rising
- Wrecking Ball

Whilst I love all the tracks on BTR, this artist really comes alive on his more reflective works when he tackles wider themes than on his early albums ( see Paddy McAloon on Prefab Sprouts single "Cars and Girls" ........"some things hurt more, much more, than cars and girls".)

For me the best way to get BTR is to listen live, many unofficial versions are available (allegedly!) and he's still able to knock em out live, not bad considering he gets his bus-pass in September.

Good LP Lawrence

Cheers
John

losenotaminute
16-03-2014, 16:37
I agree that some of the live versions of the title track are very good, especially the acoustic ones, but I still think the original version is a bit special. Darkness is a great album but all the later work seems to benefit from the legacy of BTR. Jungleland live is hard to beat IMO.

high.spirits
19-03-2014, 09:59
Good choice Lawrence - 7/10 from me.
Agree with other comments re: Live 75-85 boxed-set. Just love the live music.
This album ‘Born to Run’ seems a bit flat in comparison to the live tracks.

Audioman
20-03-2014, 14:48

Better sounding than I remember (vinyl LP) but a bit uneven. 7/10.

loo
23-03-2014, 13:57
Sorry but I just cant get into this ,I have tried several times with Bruce but it just never happens for me .
4 from me as I have to recognise his talent even if I don't enjoy it
Paul

Havana
24-03-2014, 22:15
8/10 Great songs - his coming of age album. Such a shame about the sound quality.

synsei
24-03-2014, 22:24
I'm not a fan of The Boss but I did give this a whirl, unfortunately listening to this once again has only reaffirmed why there is no Springsteen material in my collection. His stuff just doesn't connect with me I'm sorry to say... 3/10

MartinT
24-03-2014, 22:42
It's a good album with a couple of great numbers and is typical of Springsteen's middle period style. BTR is just a fabulous song. Not the best sound quality, but then for me Point Blank from The River is the high point of his long career, both musically and in sound. A solid 8/10.

Bazil
28-03-2014, 18:43
Up until last year this was the only BS album I owned, the title track a classic of course but I have never been that keen on Bruce apart from a couple of standout tunes, The River being one. I'll give it 7.

Canetoad
03-06-2014, 22:37
At first I thought I'd only give it a 5 but, after another couple of listens it does grow on you. A 7 for this one.

losenotaminute
04-06-2014, 11:44
There's an article by Neil McCormick in the Telegraph today, ranking all of Springsteen's albums. He places BTR 2nd, with Darkness 1st. Some of his comments are spot on, but there's no way I would put Wrecking Ball as his third best, the River or Nebraska would be up there IMO. I also find myself listening to The Ghost of Tom Joad a lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/bruce-springsteen/10862988/Bruce-Springsteens-albums-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Tarzan
09-06-2014, 14:58
8/10 from me, a great album.