PDA

View Full Version : Get an external DAC and CD Player or just run the OPPO 103 Bluray player?

alexm84
09-03-2014, 16:32
Hi,

I was thinking about getting the OPPO BDP-103 blu ray player for my home system as it has a lot of good reviews.

Can anyone comment if this will be good for playing CD's or should i:
a) Run an external DAC (like the beresford) with this player or,
b) get a CD player and an external DAC to run with it?

I just have a PS3 at the moment, but have heard they are horrible for playing CD's (even with a DAC added) so will get something else.

Any ideas would be great as i am new to DAC's

agk
09-03-2014, 18:55
My recollection of the ps3 was that it did a pretty good job with cd (certainly as good as any blu-ray player) but its years since I had mine.
At least one dude on here uses one fairly regularly and I'd be surprised if he doesnt pop in and give his tuppence worth.
Seeing as you have the ps3 there why not give it a spin and see how you get on? They can make a fairly handy media hub as I recall.

John
09-03-2014, 19:22
The internal DAC on the Oppo can be bettered, the Bushmaster will easily beat it. It will play CDs (as a Transport) okay but the way to get the best sounds on it is to use files on either a stick on SSD hard drive rather than use it as a straight forwarded CD transport IMO (from personal experience with the player)

roob
09-03-2014, 19:52
The Oppo 105 is the one to have unfortunately it is twice the price
I recommend you have a look at the player only version Chevron Audio Sabre Universal player it is a great sounding player trust me;)
http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/sabre_player_dac.html

agk
09-03-2014, 20:16
I hate to repeat myself but while everybody spends your money for you do have a listen to the ps3.

alexm84
09-03-2014, 21:11
I'll give the PS3 a go. Just waiting for my pre amp to arrive this week.

Like you say, i have the PS3 so may as well try it first.

Am i right in saying the PS3 can connect to the Bushmaster DAC via the optical out? So i would go from the PS3 to the DAC to Pre amp to Power amp?

StanleyB
09-03-2014, 21:34
Am i right in saying the PS3 can connect to the Bushmaster DAC via the optical out? So i would go from the PS3 to the DAC to Pre amp to Power amp?
Yes you can.

alexm84
09-03-2014, 21:53
And the Bushmaster MK II is a good way to go for about $325 (AUD)?

I see the Cambridge audio DAC Magic and a few others at this price range.

I know it will all be personal preference but without having heard any, can anyone say whether the bushmaster is the best way to go for its price range? Or at least that there's no inherent problems with them?

Thanks again

John
09-03-2014, 22:01
Lots of us here like the Bushmaster for good reasons, feed it with a battery and it takes on some very serious DACs

StanleyB
09-03-2014, 22:20
And the Bushmaster MK II is a good way to go for about $325 (AUD)?

I see the Cambridge audio DAC Magic and a few others at this price range.

I know it will all be personal preference but without having heard any, can anyone say whether the bushmaster is the best way to go for its price range? Or at least that there's no inherent problems with them?
May I ask what brings you to ask if there is an inherent problem with it? Is it the low price? If you prefer to spend far more then there are the Rega and MDAC to consider. Or maybe the Benchmark DAC if you are a big spender.

alexm84
10-03-2014, 00:12
May I ask what brings you to ask if there is an inherent problem with it? Is it the low price? If you prefer to spend far more then there are the Rega and MDAC to consider. Or maybe the Benchmark DAC if you are a big spender.

Not at all. From what i have read it looks good. But i have not owned and don't know anyone that has a DAC to listen/compare them.

And since there are far more expensive DACs out there and i don't know what you need to spend to get a "good" one. I didn't want to spend any more than the $300-$350 range that i'm looking at but i also didnt want to buy something and find out it was money better spent elsewhere.

alexm84
10-03-2014, 00:13
Lots of us here like the Bushmaster for good reasons, feed it with a battery and it takes on some very serious DACs

Seems to be good reviews from what i see on here and other sites. I suppose not having heard any, i need to start somewhere, so i'll get one of these to start and build my system from there,

Thanks