PDA

View Full Version : A lot better than expected.

Gordon Steadman
07-03-2014, 18:06
I don't often sit and compare equipment because it just takes time away from the music. However, having exhausted myself cutting up MDF today (well, I had to hold the saw after all) I took some time out and had a little play.

I have three turntables in the house. A bog standard Pioneer PL112D / Shure M75ED - Sansui based DD / Rega RB300 / Rega Elan - Origin Live based belt drive / Origin Live modified RB250 / Technics 205.

I plugged them all into a switchbox so I could compare them and listened on the headphones. The order of merit was very clearly as above although I know the cartridges are very different. I'm not anal enough to want to sit and swap carts about though. The basic sound was very similar but it was the subtleties that improved as I worked up.

The biggest surprise was just how good the Pioneer was. If anyone is on a tight budget, this TT has a perfectly respectable performance and I reckon I could still enjoy the music almost, if not just, as much as with the better decks. Its had a new belt and a service recently but given the age that would be advisable anyway.

Watching eBay, the prices of the PL12D and this one are creeping up so maybe its not such a secret.

DSJR
07-03-2014, 18:13
The original PL12D is the best of this model, as cost-cuts plagued the mk2, such as rattly arm bearings...

I can go one better than this. I have the old AP76 going in the office, fitted currently with an ADC XLM III at 1.3g. End of side is manageable on this one, just, and with cork mat on top of the supplied one, the sound is very clear indeed, better than the AT120E I also use with it. The cork mat improves the bass and rumble doesn't rear its head badly on this cost-cut idler model. Huge fun, as the results are better than they really should be IMO.

nickthechef
23-09-2014, 21:52
I've got one of these and I love it! Completely rewired it, put some high end shielded audio cable it and and AT95e cartridge and was really surprised. Getting the alignment was quite tricky though. Going to stick a Ortofon 2M red plug and play cart in and see what that does.

paskinn
24-09-2014, 10:23
Doesn't surprise me. I routinely get surprises when I dust down vintage gear and have a listen. Much of the progress in audio is an illusion. The only reliable guide is your own experience. Some 60s and 70s speakers have been much maligned, unfairly.

Macca
24-09-2014, 10:31
. Some 60s and 70s speakers have been much maligned, unfairly.

or deliberately.

Marco
24-09-2014, 22:40
Usually naughty boys with an agenda ;)

Marco.

struth
24-09-2014, 23:15
The original PL12D is the best of this model, as cost-cuts plagued the mk2, such as rattly arm bearings...

I can go one better than this. I have the old AP76 going in the office, fitted currently with an ADC XLM III at 1.3g. End of side is manageable on this one, just, and with cork mat on top of the supplied one, the sound is very clear indeed, better than the AT120E I also use with it. The cork mat improves the bass and rumble doesn't rear its head badly on this cost-cut idler model. Huge fun, as the results are better than they really should be IMO.

That was a decent table the 76...automatic I think?