PDA

View Full Version : Sellling England By The Pound ??

talisman2
07-03-2014, 12:42
i am thinking of buying the classic Sellling England By The Pound by Genesis on 180g vinyl (2013 re-issue) . has anybody on AOS bought a copy ? and if so , can you tell me how it compares to the original vinyl version ? ( re-issues are not always better).

MartinT
07-03-2014, 12:51
I only have the original vinyl pressing (not great), but I do have the absolutely superb Japanese SACD. Judging by how good that is, there's a lot on the master tape and if most of that ends up in the new vinyl mastering, it's going to sound excellent.

Oldpinkman
07-03-2014, 12:53
I have it. I no longer have the original (just a memory of it playing on a PL12D). The new is pretty good I would say, and almost certainly better than the original - although "engineered" to achieve that. Early Charisma recordings of Genesis were not great in terms of production, which sounded so compressed I assumed they used a phillips cassette deck under some blankets.

Audioman
07-03-2014, 13:00
i am thinking of buying the classic Sellling England By The Pound by Genesis on 180g vinyl (2013 re-issue) . has anybody on AOS bought a copy ? and if so , can you tell me how it compares to the original vinyl version ? ( re-issues are not always better).

I haven't heard it unfortunately but it uses the remix made for the SACD releases. There are a lot of negative comments around about the remixes of the first few albums. I have the box set of the later 76-81 albums and I think these are very good bettering originals in some cases. For Selling England I would look out for the 00P Classic Records issue which is superb. For the price though I think the new issue is worth a try considering cost of a mint original and if you don't own another (all analogue) version of this album.

Marco
07-03-2014, 13:41
I have it. I no longer have the original (just a memory of it playing on a PL12D). The new is pretty good I would say, and almost certainly better than the original - although "engineered" to achieve that. Early Charisma recordings of Genesis were not great in terms of production, which sounded so compressed I assumed they used a phillips cassette deck under some blankets.

Richard, you have a PM. Please respond to it ASAP.

Cheers!

Marco.

The Barbarian
22-03-2014, 16:56

Yes i have all the 2013 Genesis LP's. Im very happy with them.

DSJR
22-03-2014, 18:44
Genesis LP's used to be around 25 minutes a side. far better to have released them on two LP's to go with the gatefold sleeves in most cases :)