PDA

View Full Version : Tangential air bearing - air pumps question

Kember
06-03-2014, 12:08
I'm supposed to be working but I can't get a minor irritation out of my mind..

I wonder if any of you wise folk might be able to point me in the right direction. I've done some web research but probably need more specific advice.

BTW, this is very much a first world problem; my world will not collapse if there is no solution:lol:, but here goes:

I have both the Trans-Fi and the MG-1 Mk1 Air Bearing Linear Tracking Tonearms and both run off similar aquarium-style air pumps, which are not silent despite their name. I mean no disrespect to the designers who have provided a cost-effective way to deal with the need to supply air but pretty it ain't, and I'm not convinced that air and moisture won't attack the arms over time.

To deal with the noise and aesthetics, I have rigged up a couple of discreet boxes (for both pump and air tank) with hard disk transport foam to help absorb the noise. They work reasonably well and I could always just run to the pet shop and get a longer air tube so that the pump is in the airing cupboard. But there must be a more elegant way.

I wondered whether something like this which is used to run clean air in a dentist's surgery might not do the trick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jun-Air-OF301-oil-less-motor-for-compressor-230v-54-ltr-min-8-bar-120-PSI-/111217299551?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item19e511505f

This could be squirrelled away with the boiler and could feed a pressurised tank from which a valve could release the clean dry air into the air tube feeding the air bearing at a steady pressure.

Properly executed and with the right tank, might I get away with not having to run the pump at all while listening to my music? The other thing is that the arms operate optimally at slightly different pressures and with the right low pressure gauge, i should be able to adjust the feed precisely to meet either arm's need.

Am I off my chump or is this feasible?

As I say, very much a first world problem, but it is nagging at me.

Any thoughts please? Apart from sending round men in flapping white coats:mental:

Peter

Clive
06-03-2014, 12:55
I feel you're worrying about something that is not a problem. I have my pump in the next room. Likewise I don't have my 240V distribution in my room, it's piped down wires into my room. I don't believe anyone has has issues with moist air....except the guy who thought he had to put the pump in a water filled tank! :doh:

A pump that isn't overkill is the AQUAEL OXYPRO 150. It costs about 50 quid but you may need two of them for the Terminator. My Sera pump is rated at 275 l/hr, the Aquael is 150 l/hr. I think your other arm needs a lot more air so the Aquael wouldn't be an option for that.

Kember
06-03-2014, 13:03
I feel you're worrying about something that is not a problem. I have my pump in the next room. Likewise I don't have my 240V distribution in my room, it's piped down wires into my room. I don't believe anyone has has issues with moist air....except the guy who thought he had to put the pump in a water filled tank! :doh:

A pump that isn't overkill is the AQUAEL OXYPRO 150. It costs about 50 quid but you may need two of them for the Terminator. My Sera pump is rated at 275 l/hr, the Aquael is 150 l/hr. I think your other arm needs a lot more air so the Aquael wouldn't be an option for that.

Clive,

Thanks for the tip. And I'll keep my pump out of the sink!

You're probably right but I'm still intrigued about whether my thoughts sum up to a sensible if over-engineered solution, as well as domestically more tenable. It would also be nice to have only one air supply which I could regulate depending which arm I'm using.

Maybe, I'll ask my dentist for the number of his equipment engineer...

P

John
06-03-2014, 13:21
Agree with Clive had the arm for a good few years now and never had any moisture issues
Its best to site the pump out of sight

Clive
06-03-2014, 13:25
If I were to try different pumps I'd got for something like this vintage pump:

http://www.sonik-systems.com/pumps/images/79100/79100a.jpg

Floating an arm with an array of these would cool!

Qwin
06-03-2014, 20:05
No moisture problems with mine to date.

I have the pump and tank in the next room so it is silent from my listening position.

Those dentist pumps are a lot noisier, mine has his in the next room and you can hear it through the wall.

You could fit a moisture trap if it bothers you that much, don't know what the pressure/flow loss would be on such a delicate supply though.

Moisture is normaly the result of compression generating heat and in the normal metal presure vessels and pipes the warm air creates condensation on the cold metal. We are dealing with less presure and very little heat is generated plus the plastic tank/pipes are in a warm house not a cold garage/workshop. I don't think you need worry about it. :)

Kember
06-03-2014, 21:14
No moisture problems with mine to date.

I have the pump and tank in the next room so it is silent from my listening position.

Those dentist pumps are a lot noisier, mine has his in the next room and you can hear it through the wall.

You could fit a moisture trap if it bothers you that much, don't know what the pressure/flow loss would be on such a delicate supply though.

Moisture is normaly the result of compression generating heat and in the normal metal presure vessels and pipes the warm air creates condensation on the cold metal. We are dealing with less presure and very little heat is generated plus the plastic tank/pipes are in a warm house not a cold garage/workshop. I don't think you need worry about it. :)

Thanks Ken

Maybe I'll confine my fiddlings to adding a dust filter and a low pressure gauge!

Best

P

Ubik
07-03-2014, 07:55
with the right casing the noise can be stopped, but.....the pump it is vibrating and transmit this to the case structure. therefore material choice is fundamental in using materials that cannot be excited to vibrate...
So, there are two enemies. try to dump the pump with sorbothane feet, it might work it out.

cheers