PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 135: 04/03/2014: Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

Album Club
04-03-2014, 00:11
Dan(theman91) is having a go at it this week. Thanks a lot Dan.
Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

http://sincemybabyleftme.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/appetites.jpg?w=500&h=250
Album cover art - early release on the left, later on the right.

spotify:album:3I9Z1nDCL4E0cP62flcbI5

I have chosen this album as its got to be on of the greatest rock albums ever recorded.
i first got in to this album 10 years ago when i got into music and i love it full of raw energy and classic rock tracks that define the late 80's. The production by david geffen is excellent
My vote is 10 out of 10, if your are into rock this is a must album for any collection.
I have also learnt to play a few numbers from this album on the drums and its a good start for any starting musicians. I do prefer it on vinyl as its just awesome.

Have a listen lads - i'm sure you will like this one but all down to choice.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetite_for_Destruction)
Appetite for Destruction is the debut studio album by American hard rock band Guns N' Roses, released on July 21, 1987 on Geffen Records. It was well received by critics and topped the American Billboard 200 chart. As of September 2008, the album has been certified 18 times Platinum by the RIAA. The album is featured in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

Members
W. Axl Rose – lead vocals, percussion on "Welcome to the Jungle", synthesizer and whistle on "Paradise City", additional percussion
Slash – lead guitar, co-rhythm guitar on "Nightrain" and "Think About You", acoustic guitar on "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Think About You", talkbox on "Anything Goes", slide guitar on "Rocket Queen"
Izzy Stradlin – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, co-lead guitar on "Nightrain" and "Think About You", percussion on "Paradise City", additional percussion
Duff McKagan – bass guitar, backing vocals
Steven Adler – drums

Production - Mixing
Mike Clink – production & engineering
Steve Thompson – mixing
Michael Barbiero – mixing
George Marino – LP & cassette mastering
Barry Diament – CD mastering
Dave Reitzas, Micajah Ryan, Andy Udoff, Jeff Poe, Julian Stoll, & Victor "the fuckin' engineer" Deyglio – engineering assistance
Robert Williams – "Appetite For Destruction" painting
Michael Hodgson – art direction & design
Robert John, Jack Lue, Greg Freeman, Marc Canter, & Leonard McCardie – photography
Tom Zutaut – A&R coordination
Teresa Ensenat – A&R coordination
Stravinski Brothers/Alan Niven – career affairs
Boulevard Management – business affairs
Bill White Jr. – cross tattoo design
Andy Engell – cross tattoo redrawing
Robert Benedetti – tattoos (at Sunset Strip Tattoo)

Bazil
04-03-2014, 11:18
This is one of those albums that non Heavy Rock fans (me) bought, a bit like Metallicas Black Album it became mainstream.
G'N'R became mega stars and the overblown, grandiose Use your Illusion albums were just round the corner, although I must say Use Your Illusion II is one of my favorite albums.
I never played Appetite much I'll see if I like it any better 27 years later.

losenotaminute
04-03-2014, 20:45
This album has lasted quite well IMO. Most of the tracks are pretty good, but samey. My favourites tracks are Nightrain and of course, Sweet Child O' Mine.

Don't rate It's so Easy at all, and actually find it quite unpleasant to listen to. It sounds like it was written by a naive school band!

I have a couple of other albums, Greatest Hits and Live era 87-93, neither of which have been played for years. Maybe time to give them another go.

I suspect that live was the best way to experience the overblown train-wreck that was Guns n Roses. Axl Rose was on on one of the US talk shows recently plugging his new album and he was a great guest, very funny and intelligent.

In the end I voted 7/10.

EazpwUNaUAE

pjdowns
05-03-2014, 19:28
An easy 10/10 from me... Truly excellent :)

twickers
05-03-2014, 21:08
Good choice Dan. I've owned this album since release, and i enjoy it more now than ever. 8/10 from me.

Pete The Cat
09-03-2014, 13:19
I came back to this recently due to a pal who's still into GnR. The hype and the subsequent disappointments have probably detracted from the memory of it - listening to it afresh it's rather good. 7/10 then.

Pete

Macca
09-03-2014, 13:46
Classic rock album - I bought it when it came out so I have one with the banned cover art :)

I was only playing it just the other day so no need to listen to it again, 9 out of 10 from me. I particularly like Duff Mckagen's bass playing, reminds me a bit of John Paul Jones. This band were so obviously a cut above the poodle metal of the times, it is a shame that it all went Pete Tong so fast. Although I agree with Bazil that Use Your Illusion 2 is also brilliant. Not sure how much the girl with guitar brigade are going to like this though ;)

John
09-03-2014, 14:04
Its a 8 for me some great tracks on the album.

RichB
09-03-2014, 14:49
Also bought this (vinyl) when it first came out... loved it and practically wore my copy out.

I'd kind of outgrown them by the time use your illusion had come along but this one stiill has many good memories for me.

My favourite thing about this album and the recording is the way they've captured the interplay/synergy of the slash-izzy guitar work, both of them truly playing off one another and i know Slash gets all the credit but Izzy wasnt too shabby an axeman either! Shame they couldn't last the distance. Nonetheless, a quick listen to Rocket Queen or Paradise City shows what i mean about this guitar team. Love Duff's bass sound too.

sparrow
09-03-2014, 17:40
Only consistantly good album they made IMO...I'll dust it off and give it a spin..not heard in a good few years..I did read the banned cover is not as rare as the other cover.At least on UK pressings..

webby
12-03-2014, 09:26
This wasn't really the kind of music I was listening to when it came out but I bought it after hearing and loving Sweet Child O' Mine (the intro of which is still my ringtone).

I had a bass guitar at the time and I spent a lot of time learning the bass to a number of tracks on the album and was particularly pleased to finally nail SCOM. Forgotten it all now though! There are some good basslines on it.

I think all the singles stand out for me and there's a couple of filler's on it so for me it falls short of a 10. I'll give it a 9.

Manic's guitarist James Dean Bradfield was inspired by this album and has been said to have learnt every note. That's good enough for me.

The only other GnR album I bought though was Use Your Illusion II.

high.spirits
19-03-2014, 10:10
Not really my type of music Dan.

However 6/10 for Sweet Child O’Mine

loo
23-03-2014, 13:48
I like this album just not as much as the Illusion albums , some of the production is a bit in yer face
but a worthy 7 from me
Paul

Bazil
28-03-2014, 18:38
This is one of those albums that non Heavy Rock fans (me) bought, a bit like Metallicas Black Album it became mainstream.
G'N'R became mega stars and the overblown, grandiose Use your Illusion albums were just round the corner, although I must say Use Your Illusion II is one of my favorite albums.
I never played Appetite much I'll see if I like it any better 27 years later.

No not really, a couple of very good tunes which attracted me to buying the album but overall a 6.

Tim
30-03-2014, 07:38
I've never really got into Guns N' Roses, but there are sprinkles of magic from them now and again that I like and I do have a Greatest Hits album from them, which is a very rare thing in my collection, in fact I think I could count the compilation albums I own on one hand as I'm not really keen on them.

Anyway, Sweet Child O' Mine is an all time classic rock anthem (is it an anthem?) with one of rock music's great guitar solo's, so this has to get 7/10 just for that. Most of the rest of the album is not something I would choose to listen to these days, but I also like Welcome to the Jungle. My other favourite GNR song is November Rain, another timeless work of art and one of the all time greatest rock ballads.

So overall its 7/10 from me.

MartinT
10-04-2014, 07:34
It's not for me either. It all sounds a bit second rate compared with the greats like Deep Purple. Sweet Child O' Mine definitely saves it. The rest I find samey and forgettable. 5/10

Canetoad
03-06-2014, 22:33
While I like a couple of the songs on this I can only give it a 6.