PDA

View Full Version : Firebottle Phono Stage Comparisons

Ali Tait
02-03-2014, 15:59
First off, a couple of caveats – firstly I had a loan of a Yannis cable, kindly lent to me by Bernie, however this was returned before comparisons could be made due to his impending emigration back to Oz. Having heard how much better this sounds then the Jelco cable I am using now, this had to be taken into account when judging SQ. Thanks for the loan Bernie, much appreciated.

Secondly, I have only recently gotten back into vinyl after being digital for 25+ years, so haven’t heard that many stages to compare.

I did have to hand – phono stage built in to my Forte model 2 pre (Nelson Pass design), a Yaqin MS-22B MM stage, a Mayware T-24 SUT and the Firebottle MM/MC valve/JFET stage. I also had on loan one of Nick’s LDA phono stages, but unfortunately it went down in one channel shortly after I received it, no doubt down to rough handling in the post. Turned out just to be a solder joint needed redoing, but it wasn’t in use for these comparisons sadly. I have also had the Jez Arkless head amp for a test drive.

Source used was my Garrard 401 in twin tier slate plinth, Jelco SA-250 arm with 103r MC cart.

The built in stage in my pre and the Yaqin were decent enough, but outclassed easily by the Firebottle stage and Jez’s head amp (and Nick’s for that matter), so I’ll concentrate on the FB stage with and without the Mayware, and Jez’s head amp. There was a decent improvement in the Yaqin gained by swapping in some NOS Mullard ECC83 though.

I got about 10 minutes of comparison between Nick’s stage and the FB before I lost a channel, and the first impression was that there were more similarities than differences, not surprising given some similarities in the respective designs, but I didn’t get enough time to make concrete judgements, so I’ll leave any critical comparisons of the LDA stage out of this.

Jez’s head amp was very impressive indeed from the off. It’s very different to anything else I’ve tried, giving tremendous drive and an up front and subjectively detailed sound (in a good way). It’s like moving to the front row at a gig compared to being halfway back. It also had a HUGE bass response, giving by far the deepest bass response of anything else I’ve tried so far. Music was laid down with authority, and I found it a hugely entertaining listen. Just from a personal point of view, I’m not 100% sure I could live with it constantly long term, though I’d certainly like to have one to use when the mood strikes. It’s a great bit of kit, and I could see a lot of people loving one of these.

Next was the FB stage, which I tried on both MC and MM using the Mayware SUT. MM with SUT had some similarities to Jez’s head amp, being more upfront than MC direct, but it did not have the bass impact, and the treble was not quite of the same quality or as extended. Mids were very good though.

The Firebottle using MC direct sounded better to me. This was a slightly more relaxed sound, very musical and giving good flow to the sound to my ears. Soundstaging is very good (a priority for me), if better left to right than front to back, but certainly better than anything else I’ve tried so far, excepting the LDA. As said before, there were many similarities to the LDA stage, which is praise indeed, as I’ve heard this many times and I’ve a fair handle on how good it is.

The MC direct on the FB stage I can listen to all day quite happily, however I managed to trash the cantilever of the 103r, so had to swap to a spare cart, and Acutex M312 MM. This has been a real surprise given the low cost of the NOS ones being sold on ebay. I’ve found there’s a lot of love for this cart online, and I can understand why. Perhaps not quite the air and space at the top end of the 103r, but as good or better everywhere else IMHO.

So, that’s been my listening for the last few weeks, the Acutex into the Firebottle. I’ve found this very enjoyable, great bass (if not quite up to the Arkless head amp depths), great soundstaging, and a good drive to the music. In fact, I’ve enjoyed this stage so much, I’ve asked Alan to build me an all out two box MM/MC, with balanced as well as single ended in and outputs.

And no, I’m not getting it cheap in exchange for a favourable review..

I did have the Scottish Mafia round whilst some of this was occurring, perhaps they might like to comment.

So, much as I’d like to hang on to it till mine is ready, the stage is up for grabs to whomever wishes to demo it next. Just PM me and I’ll get it sent off to you.

Lastly, apologies to Alan for the lateness of this post, I'd meant to have this done and the stage off to the next demo weeks ago, but a combination of various circumstances prevented this, not least of which was my other half ending up in hospital with meningitis, so thanks for your patience Alan. I look forward to getting my two box version.

Firebottle
02-03-2014, 16:31
Thanks Ali, no problem with the delay given the circumstances.
Very best wishes to your other half for a good recovery.

Cheers, Alan

brian2957
02-03-2014, 16:33
Excellent review Ali . Firstly , hope the missus is on the mend . Please tell her I send my regards and hope she is up to making one of her excellent curries on our next visit :) . Been a while mate , but I do remember that I was quite taken by the sounds the turntable was making in your system and particularly how good it was with the Firebottle unit in place . IMO it seemed to be excellent value in the sound per pound stakes . Looking forward to the next visit to yours when the weather is a bit better mate.

Ali Tait
02-03-2014, 19:09
Thanks gents, she is getting better, though still not 100%. Yep, not sure what Alan will sell the version I have for, but it's definitely the best SPPV I've heard so far.

Spur07
04-03-2014, 18:13
nice one Ali

I'm glad you like the Acutex btw, and very interesting that you rate it so highly in comparison to the 103r. I take it the Denon wasn't 'nude'?

I've been tentatively thinking about going over to MC and the 103r was on my list, along with the Ortofon Rondo Red.

Ali Tait
04-03-2014, 18:19
No not nude. However, given how easily the cantilever broke, it may never have been working properly in the first place.

Yes, the Acutex is great, I'm enjoying it very much. I even bought another for a spare, silly not to at the price. Given what I've read, I'd like to try the 320 or 420.

MartinT
09-03-2014, 11:36
Hi Ali, what do you intend doing about the Jelco tonearm cable? I found it to be very poor, too. Clouded and lacking in detail, as I remember. Also, will you have the 103R repaired?

Nice review. May we have a piccy or two?

John
09-03-2014, 11:52
I also love the Acutex its a real fun cartridge
Good review of the phonostage and glad to hear your partner is on the mend

Ali Tait
09-03-2014, 11:53
Hi Martin, I will in the next couple of weeks be coming into possession of a Tecnoarm, which is silver hard wired out to XLR's, ideal for the new two box stage. Agreed about the Jelco cable, I had a loan of a Yannis from Bernie before he moved back Down Under, it was a revelation compared to the Jelco. A great cable.

Still enjoying the Acutex, but have in a moment of madness purchased a Decca Maroon to try. I will probably send the 103r to Dom at some point, and see how far he can push it.

I'm at work yet again (not had a day off in four weeks). I'll add some pics later if I get time.

Ali Tait
09-03-2014, 11:56
I also love the Acutex its a real fun cartridge
Good review of the phonostage and glad to hear your partner is on the mend

Thanks John, though she now has to have a hernia operated on..

I keep telling her she's jinxed.

Looking forward to getting the two box version.

John
09-03-2014, 11:57
Sorry to hear that

Ali Tait
09-03-2014, 12:06
Should be doable with keyhole surgery though, so not as bad as it could be I guess.