PDA

View Full Version : CDP Problems...

Mike
27-02-2014, 20:12
Hi Chaps,

Anyone got experience of the Shanling CD-T300 (this one 'ere - http://www.avinava.com/articles/shanling-t300.pdf) or any other player that uses the Philips CDM-4 transport?

Only I've sort of bust mine! :(

In short, I dropped it, only a few millimetres mind (seriously!) and now it's buggered. It powers up ok, when the lid is placed on top it tries to read the disk (i.e. the laser head moves across the disk) but there's no rotation going on. No spin action at all!... As this was a £4K player I'd kind of like to get it fixed, any ideas?

Also, if it's completely had it, I'm seriously considering an insurance claim (no idea how that will go!), but what the hell would be a "new for old" replacement? personally, I've no idea! :scratch:

Cheers,
Mike.

synsei
27-02-2014, 20:29
Check the drive belts mike, the shock may have been enough to dislodge one ;)

Mike
27-02-2014, 20:31
It has belts? :eek: How the hell do I even get into the damn thing? :scratch:

synsei
27-02-2014, 20:35
I haven't a clue dude, sorry. I only mentioned it because I dropped a Sony CDP once and the belt jumped the pulley, that machine was a piece of piss to get into though... :eyebrows:

Mike
27-02-2014, 20:54
Hmmm... as far as I can make out, it only uses a belt for the drawer mechanism, which the Shanling doesn't have! :(

synsei
27-02-2014, 20:57
It's entirely possible that I am talking bollocks, I am dosed up to the eyeballs with strong pain killers and have also had a few cans of go juice... :eyebrows::D

Audioman
27-02-2014, 23:07
I suggest contact the importer for repairs assuming there is no cosmetic damage that would make it a write off.

Real Hi-Fi
Address: 35 WATER DRIVE, STANDISH, LANCASHIRE, WN6 0EH, ENGLAND
Tel: +44 (0) 1257 473175
Mobile: +44 (0) 7515 878732

nat8808
28-02-2014, 00:03
I doubt it is anything which cant be fixed.

Probably just a cable slightly out of its socket. If the mech is sprung, a small drop might induce a larger than normal bounce which could hit endstops and snag a ribbon cable etc etc.

nat8808
28-02-2014, 00:09
Probably get inside from underneath and the whole metal casing lifts off (well, after unbolting/unscrewing the output sockets and looks like there's a screw by each set of valves).

Mr Kipling
28-02-2014, 10:14
On Fixya one suggestion is to unplug it for 5 minutes to reset it.

nat8808
02-03-2014, 00:19
Hi Chaps,

Anyone got experience of the Shanling CD-T300 (this one 'ere - http://www.avinava.com/articles/shanling-t300.pdf) or any other player that uses the Philips CDM-4 transport?

Only I've sort of bust mine! :(

In short, I dropped it, only a few millimetres mind (seriously!) and now it's buggered. It powers up ok, when the lid is placed on top it tries to read the disk (i.e. the laser head moves across the disk) but there's no rotation going on. No spin action at all!... As this was a £4K player I'd kind of like to get it fixed, any ideas?

Also, if it's completely had it, I'm seriously considering an insurance claim (no idea how that will go!), but what the hell would be a "new for old" replacement? personally, I've no idea! :scratch:

Cheers,
Mike.

Just had a memory...

I had a Teac T1 delivered from ebay which would move the laser about but not spin up. Whilst that's a Sony mech and this a Philips one it might be the same thing. It was apparently working before the courier journey.

I didn't know what I was doing but had some thought that it maybe lost track of the laser position. So with the machine off I moved the laser block with my finger as close to the spindle as possible and then turned it on. Seemed to fix it...... No idea if what I did helped or if it was coincidence.

I'd have thought it would have an automatic reset on power-on but perhaps it was slightly out?

Oh, just realised this is a swing mech! Ignore me..

nat8808
02-03-2014, 00:21
The worse that could have happened in my view is the laser focus being out of wack after the shock but even that's fixable with a delicate hand.

starbucksboss
02-03-2014, 14:20
I think you know the answer...off to the quack...otherwise you will forever be listening out for a problem instead of enjoying the vibes....good luck.

Mike
04-03-2014, 21:27
Thanks chaps, no joy so far! :(

I'm loath to bugger about with it TBH. Time for someone who knows these cookies to take a gander, methinks! :scratch:

Cheers...

nat8808
05-03-2014, 06:06
Have you at least examined it for screws, see how it comes apart?