PDA

View Full Version : Hi-res Solti Ring cycle

m10
27-02-2014, 14:17
http://www.deccaclassics.com/imgs/s300x300/4786293.jpg

This might be of interest for any Wagnerians with the capability to play it, and who didn't drop 200 notes on the 2012 collectors' edition.

http://www.deccaclassics.com/gb/cat/4786293?sort=newest_rec&SearchString=G%F6tterd%E4mmerung+

I'm intrigued, though on a couple of points...

Three BD Audio discs? - the whole 14.5 hour recording is contained on a single disc at 24/48 LPCM - they may needlessly be including Dolby True HD 2.0 and DTS HD Master Audio 2.0 alongside uncompressed PCM. The three will be indistinguishable.

Apparently, the analogue master tapes had deteriorated beyond use when they went to them for the 2012 edition, hence the 1997 24/48 is the highest generation version that's available and was used for the collectors' edition CDs and the blu-ray (and the fabulously expensive Esoteric SACD set, too by all accounts).

I'd be interested to know if they've rustled up some kind of first generation dupe of the analogue master to work from for a new remaster at 24/96 or higher. I doubt it. (An analogue master like that could be interesting if they fancied doing a new vinyl edition of course - there are silly sods who are easily parted from their money).

In any case, this new 3BD-Audio set should be much better value than the 2012 box... (And may be cheaper than the HDtracks download). The blu-ray from the 2012 box is absolutely thrilling. It's out on May 5th.

pimlicoquad
28-02-2014, 19:50
They should stop flogging this tired old set - everyone who is interested has it - and march Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Staatskapelle straight into the recording studio pronto and make them record a Ring cycle. I saw every one of the performances at last year's Proms and they were spellbinding. I think his interpretation at the moment excels that from his days at Bayreuth. Solti's although groundbreaking at the time should now be allowed to stand down to make way for the 21st century recordings.

m10
28-02-2014, 20:09
I think it would be grand if we had some new Wagner recordings. Indeed, the Levine/Luisi blu-ray set is stunning from a technical point of view and mostly thrillingly cast. (I am still in two minds over Deborah Voigt -- but Terfel, Kaufmann - brilliant)

But tired? I beg to differ. I don't think one needs to make any allowances for the Solti in technical or artistic terms. My afternoon with Götterdämmerung was incredible. And where, today, are the Windgassens, Nilssons, Neidlingers, Fiacher-Dieskaus, Fricks and Ludwigs? The blu-ray shows a clean pair of heels to every other version, unless you have a well preserved set of original LPs.

m10
28-02-2014, 20:12
...unless you have a well preserved set of original LPs.

Even then I think it would be touch and go...

DSJR
01-03-2014, 13:23
Even in mint condition, those analogue masters probably won't have noise reduction on them so will have hiss very slightly in the background, the tape being used as a final limiter of maximum level. Also, I doubt there's any hf much above 15k anyway as the tape machines almost certainly couldn't record it, let alone play it back after decades of storage (I don't know where the tapes are now, as Decca pulled out of their Belsize Rd facility years ago and it was a race against time even then in the 80's).

Seriously, if the Solti Ring appeals, just get it on CD and enjoy it as the vintage recording it is. There'll be no audible benefit at all in a so-called hi-res version if the masters aren't tinkered with, as the 'extra' resolution just isn't there (red book gives you a wider frequency range than these master tapes anyway and at least 20db more headroom than that recorded). Just make sure you have a decent sensible CD playing setup - it doesn't have to cost thousands either, believe me, unless you want a blingy box!

Richard Kimber
01-03-2014, 14:05
I look forward to the day - with not a great deal of optimism - when people like Reference Recordings or Chesky record some decent versions of operas.

- Richard.

losenotaminute
01-03-2014, 15:18
This thread has inspired me to give Das Rheingold a spin. I have a charity shop boxed set of the Decca 1984 digitally remastered vinyl recording of Solti and the Weiner Philharmonic. The opening is just amazing, with the long low steady hum from the double basses transporting you into the Wagnerian underworld within a few seconds.

Never heard Wagner live, apart from an orchestra only condensed version of The Ring cycle, which was very good. Would love to have been at the Proms.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/12856246195_ea2bc67c9c.jpg

Lawrence

m10
01-03-2014, 21:13
Even in mint condition, those analogue masters probably won't have noise reduction on them so will have hiss very slightly in the background, the tape being used as a final limiter of maximum level. Also, I doubt there's any hf much above 15k anyway as the tape machines almost certainly couldn't record it, let alone play it back after decades of storage (I don't know where the tapes are now, as Decca pulled out of their Belsize Rd facility years ago and it was a race against time even then in the 80's).

Seriously, if the Solti Ring appeals, just get it on CD and enjoy it as the vintage recording it is. There'll be no audible benefit at all in a so-called hi-res version if the masters aren't tinkered with, as the 'extra' resolution just isn't there (red book gives you a wider frequency range than these master tapes anyway and at least 20db more headroom than that recorded). Just make sure you have a decent sensible CD playing setup - it doesn't have to cost thousands either, believe me, unless you want a blingy box!

Whether it's the extra work done this time around - perhaps better software for digital manipulation or simply a fresh approach - there is a difference between the 1997 Remaster and the 2012 one. I feel that there's a certain something extra about the blu-ray version (compared to the 2012 CDs), and the new version it's going to be much more convenient than any previous incarnation. As it is, if you don't have the Solti Ring and want it then, IMHO, it has to be the 2012 version. I would hope they are also going to make the 2012 remaster available on CD outside of the mega back-breaking but beautiful box set.

m10
01-03-2014, 21:17
This thread has inspired me to give Das Rheingold a spin. I have a charity shop boxed set of the Decca 1984 digitally remastered vinyl recording of Solti and the Weiner Philharmonic. The opening is just amazing, with the long low steady hum from the double basses transporting you into the Wagnerian underworld within a few seconds.

Never heard Wagner live, apart from an orchestra only condensed version of The Ring cycle, which was very good. Would love to have been at the Proms.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/12856246195_ea2bc67c9c.jpg

Lawrence

Ooh, nice. I may break out the blu-ray for Rheingold myself in the morning (but maybe not tonight). That opening is incredible...as is the whole work.

I've been toying with the idea of a nice vinyl set of the Ring (that would put the seal on my re-entry to the analogue world good and proper).