PDA

View Full Version : Linn Kan wanted

Conan
25-02-2014, 22:34
Hi guys,

I looking for some Linn Kan to partner with the new resident Nait 2.

anyone?

Conan
26-02-2014, 18:44
Bump.
Also looking at other options for close to wall placement in a 4x4m room. Something like N Sats or even Rega Rs1

Yomanze
26-02-2014, 22:36
Royd's 7L speakers (Sapphire, Sintra, Eden, Merlin, Sorcerer etc.) work well against walls and could be what you're looking for if you're drawn to Kans. The Royds are also easier to drive & probably a better match for your Nait 2.

johnny reggae
27-02-2014, 11:44
Hi, i have a pair of royd eden speakers, in good condition in black, and come with linn kan stands, excellent speakers, and work well close to a wall, with naim equipment,i have a uprated naim nap 110, naim nac 42.5, and a naim high cap.
Would be looking for £150 for the speakers with stands, and if any one is interested in the naim gear,£550 for the power amp , pre-amp and the high cap.

Yomanze
27-02-2014, 12:24
Nice tempted myself but already have 4x pairs of Royds myself. I think they are a no brainer to try!

Conan
27-02-2014, 14:36
Sorry guys.

Royds are not on my list.
I wouldnt mind having a listening if I was near by
I am currently using the Nait with Rega RS3 from another system and they bloody rock.
I'm very curious to know the synergy between the Nait 2 and the Kan's

Oldpinkman
27-02-2014, 16:49
Have you heard a pair of Linn Kan's? What sort of music do you want to listen to? 2 suggestions occur

If you are mainly into a low-budget high quality rock thumper to mount against a wall on stands, someone was selling Keesonic Kubs on this forum, and personally I would drive to Bournemouth to get them.

I'd suggest the Ventricals, which are also on sale on this forum, and in my opinion an insane bargain, but I couldn't in all honesty imagine the Nait has the balls to drive them, (since they are lovely if you can get them working, but tricky both for room positioning and amplifier matching) although the Nait 2 will manage the Kubs with ease. ( I used to drive them with a NAD 3020)

I have had the pleasure of owning both Ventricals and the Kubs (the first speakers I parted with my own pocket money for), and for my sins have endured Linn Kans (on loan) in my living room for a while.

If you really want Linn Kans there are a pair going on fleabay for £50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-KAN-SPEAKERS-BLACK-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/121280938117?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c3ce84085 which is more than I would give for them, although I could use them guitar footstools :eyebrows:

Audioman
27-02-2014, 17:45
I all too readily remember being demoed Kans +Nait at Radfords in Bristol. Bloody awful - I think some of the alternatives suggested would be a better bet. They weren't so bad with Jazz though.

Paul.

Mr Kipling
27-02-2014, 19:42
Years ago a mate had a pair powered by an A&R A60 with a Rega 3 and it sounded pretty good the little I heard of it.

Conan
27-02-2014, 22:37
To cut a long story short, My system for the last 12 months has been a SBT + Nait 5i2 connected by NacA5 to Rega RS3.
The room is small 4x4m. I listen to a variety of styles from Jazz, blues to Americana and electronic.
It is a good system but I feel that the music is presented in an raw and aggressive way. Bass is way too much for me unless I move the Regas about 1m away from the back wall.
I concluded that I needed a softer/sweeter presentation.
I read about valve amps and decided to jump to a Puresound A10. I absolutely loved it! It was a very sweet presentation, enough volume for my late night sessions. Bass was not so booming but still with enough presence and the mids and highs sweet.
After one night I was hooked, it soon made me forget about the sound and just enjoy the music, what a delight... but there was a problem...
My wife hated it! and when she found out how hot it could get... well, you can imagine (it's ugly, its not safe for the children, bla bla bla...) It had to go.:doh:
This week, I bought a Nait 2 Olive, plugged it to the Regas and... voila
A lot more sweeter presentation than the Nait 5i2. and the bass is actually bearable
This week I'm listening to the Nait 2 and I must say that I am quite impressed.

So out of the 3 (Nait 5i2, Puresound A10 & Nait 2) my favoury is without any doubt...

PURESOUND A10 ( I really miss it and regret selling it:doh::doh::doh:)
followed by the Nait 2 (sweet presentation but not as good as the Puresound)
and finally the Nait 5i2 (I'm afraid that I'm going to have to sell it):D

Conan
27-02-2014, 23:01
But the reason I was looking for some Linn Kan was due to the fact of all the tales on synergy with old Naim shoeboxes. But sitting here listening to it with the Rega RS3 makes me wonder if it is really necessary to look for other speakers?

Martyn Miles
27-02-2014, 23:19
Have you heard a pair of Linn Kan's? What sort of music do you want to listen to? 2 suggestions occur

If you are mainly into a low-budget high quality rock thumper to mount against a wall on stands, someone was selling Keesonic Kubs on this forum, and personally I would drive to Bournemouth to get them.

I'd suggest the Ventricals, which are also on sale on this forum, and in my opinion an insane bargain, but I couldn't in all honesty imagine the Nait has the balls to drive them, (since they are lovely if you can get them working, but tricky both for room positioning and amplifier matching) although the Nait 2 will manage the Kubs with ease. ( I used to drive them with a NAD 3020)

I have had the pleasure of owning both Ventricals and the Kubs (the first speakers I parted with my own pocket money for), and for my sins have endured Linn Kans (on loan) in my living room for a while.

If you really want Linn Kans there are a pair going on fleabay for £50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-KAN-SPEAKERS-BLACK-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/121280938117?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c3ce84085 which is more than I would give for them, although I could use them guitar footstools :eyebrows:

You mean Kans, not Kan's...

Oldpinkman
28-02-2014, 06:43

Bloody predictive text! That should of course be Linn can'ts - or something similar ;)

Martyn Miles
28-02-2014, 07:02
Bloody predictive text! That should of course be Linn can'ts - or something similar ;)

The real problem is the standard of English grammar, etc.

It's not just predictive text which is often incorrect, but the way sentences are constructed by many. Often the meaning and interpretation of posts is ambiguous.

Not just on this Forum, but widely.

M Miles.

Macca
28-02-2014, 13:21
Oh shit it's the Grammar police! - you stall 'em at the door whilst I flush this bag of split infinitives down the toilet...

Conan
28-02-2014, 14:49

Blackadder: (to Prince) Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafribblarities.
Johnson: What?
Blackadder: Contrafribblarites, sir? It is a common word down our way.
Johnson: Damn! (writes in the book)
Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anus-peptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Oldpinkman
28-02-2014, 15:30
Oh shit it's the Grammar police! - you stall 'em at the door whilst I flush this bag of split infinitives down the toilet...

The problem is not Gram'ma. She's fine. It's bloody Android apps where it predicts, I should say "corrects" the text, and then is maddeningly fiddly to edit. However, grammatical pedantry is something up with which I shall not put, to paraphrase Winston ;)

Conan
28-02-2014, 22:57
Hi, i have a pair of royd eden speakers, in good condition in black, and come with linn kan stands, excellent speakers, and work well close to a wall, with naim equipment,i have a uprated naim nap 110, naim nac 42.5, and a naim high cap.
Would be looking for £150 for the speakers with stands, and if any one is interested in the naim gear,£550 for the power amp , pre-amp and the high cap.

You have PM

Ninanina
28-02-2014, 23:26
Carlos
Contact 'dalko67'

I THINK he may have a pair of Kans, if my memory is working good...

Hope that may help

Conan
28-02-2014, 23:29
Thanks Ninanina.

I think I may also give Royd Edens a try

mr sneff
01-03-2014, 22:49
There's a pair of Linn Kan 2s here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152642

Conan
01-03-2014, 22:59
There's a pair of Linn Kan 2s here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152642

THanks. I already enquired but it is way over my budget.

Conan
15-03-2014, 15:48
Well I just got myself a pair o Royd Edens and I must admit that it is like a curtain has been removed from my stereo. They sound so fresh crisp and clear that it is unreal. these are quick speakers full of snap. As for the bass, it is super tight. It is weak compared with the Rega Rs3 and usher s520 but these suffer from bass resonance if positioned close to the wall.
In my Small 4x4m room the Royds rule with my Nait2
This has opened my curiosity for royd speakers. I would also like to try the Ministrels

Yomanze
15-03-2014, 16:49
Great result, knew you'd be happy with trying Royds. The magic is with their standmounts IMO, the Minstrels give a deeper and richer bass at the penalty of a less natural and less clear midrange. Still very open and projected speakers though, but don't think they'll be a match for your Edens...

Conan
16-03-2014, 22:03
Just had a look at the Royd website and there are so many 7L models...
Are there any other Royd 7L models that have a bit more bass weight that the Eden's?

Yomanze
17-03-2014, 17:27
Possibly the Sorcerers and definitely the RR3s (standmount not 7l), the RR3s need a lot more power than your Nait 2, all Royd standmounts are about bass texture, speed and timbre and no overhang (boom) over bass weight and depth. The RR3s with a lot of power (think NAP200 instead of Nait 2) do go deep though at the expense of some of the immediacy you get with the 7l Royds. In fact all conventional speakers I've heard sound slow in the midbass when you compare them to Royds, but a lot of people will be asking "what bass?!?!".

Yomanze
17-03-2014, 19:21
And according to Gromit the Sapphire MK1 has more bass but less refinement and detail than the Edens...

Conan
17-03-2014, 20:01
Funny this...
I have been listening to the Edens for a week now and vould not believe how clear and fresh They Sound. But somehow I was missing the bass.
I put back my old usher s520. Immediately I noticed that they sound too bassy and slow in comparison. .
Ushers out ... Royds back.
Would be interesting to try the Sorcerers but I see that they are quite rare