PDA

View Full Version : Rotel RA-935BX Amplifier - Minimalist 90s Magic -(superior to RA-930/931) £60 inc p&p

Ripley's Cat
23-02-2014, 13:08
Hi -

A great, minimalist design from Rotel. Superior to the 930AX and 931AX (not to mention the 920AX and 921AX), this amp formed part of the superior BX range, equipped with upgraded components. An impressive toroid transformer certainly adds to the weight of this piece of kit.

Probably too modest to cause too much of a rumpus on this site, but could be a good starting point for a friend / colleague new to all this hi-fi jiggery!

However, certainly not for everyone as the lack of tone controls doesn't allow for any tonal adjustment. Meanwhile, the absence of a phono input means that this amp is not equipped to play back vinyl.

However, what it does do, is bucket loads of fun - and brilliantly so. A fast amp - full of speed and pace - partnered my Marantz CD63SE perfectly for a couple of years in my dining room system. However, upgraditis struck about a year ago - (Naim Nait 5), so she has to go. (Had put it up in the attic for a rainy day, but can't much see the point and have done pretty well recently in minimising life a bit . . . )

In generally very good condition for age - a number of very small scratches have been 'treated' with a car touch-up pen and are only noticeable at close range! It is, however, in full working order - no crackles on any of the controls and the split volume/balance control is smooth and precise - certainly no defects. All phono inputs are in good condition, although interestingly enough some of the white inputs are becoming slightly yellowed. No cracking of the plastic, though. Likewise, the plastic of the binding posts are all in good condition.

Can also confirm that all inputs - CD, Tuner, Aux, Tape & Tape 2 all work with no crackles or misdemeanours. Have no real means to test the tape outputs, but see no reason for them not to work. However, in the absence of being able to test them, cannot guarantee that they work, if you see what I mean.

Not a lot out there about this particular model - a bit of a rarity, perhaps? Certainly the ubiquitous & lesser 930/931AX sell for more. From what I remember . . . and it's been a few years . . . this was Rotel's answer to Pioneer's A-400(X). Can't comment on the result of a bake-off between the two, but I've always been a sucker for Rotel's budget offerings . . . many moons ago, my first student grant was spent on a RA-930AX, Marantz CD46 and Kef Coda 7s from Movement Audio in Parkstone, Dorset. A great system, which prompted me to buy this very 935 to partner my modded CD63 SE. Still, I digress . . . . .

£60 delivered to anywhere mainland UK via Parcelforce 48

Demonstration & collection more than encouraged (esp. to see & hear amp working) - Washingborough, Lincs. Naturally, reduction made if collected. I think Parcelforce 48 for this weight is £16 these days, so - £44 collected.

No returns and due to the age of the amp, no warranty implied or given.

Peace,
Matt