PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 6200 .V. Pioneer PL-71

BomberHarris
22-02-2014, 16:33
I've bought a Marantz 6200 for £90 which I'm sure is pretty cheap, and I'm on the lookout for a Pioneer PL-71 - However my budget is much higher for the PL-71 .. has anybody had the pleasure of listening to any of these turntables of even better - both , and could provide me with an insight to which sounds best .. or if I should abandon the look for a PL-71 since I have a Marantz 6200 ( not yet listened too )

Thanks

synsei
22-02-2014, 17:10
I've not had any experience with either TT Robert however there are some big fans of the PL71 here so hopefully they will be along shortly to write about their experiences... ;)

The Mighty Quinn
09-03-2014, 19:27
No experience with the Marantz, but I acquired a PL-71 a couple months ago and have posted some of my experience with it here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?29987-Updating-a-Pioneer-PL-71-turntable), along with some photos here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31279-Photos-of-my-Pioneer-PL-71).

I am very happy with my PL-71, and I think it would be worth your while to keep your eyes open for a used one to come along so that you can compare directly to the Marantz 6200 (and of course write a post of your experience).

NRG
09-03-2014, 22:05
I've no experience of the Marantz either. However, the PL-71 has a synergy for whatever reason that is very engaging. The Arm is good one and as Quinn has found just updating the PSU caps can bring better speed stability and sound quality. I've gone quite a bit further with mine updating the PSU with a more stable supply and replacing the motor for a different one from Pioneer, I've rewired the arm and adjusted the bearings as well.

You'll have to make your own mind up as to which you prefer, there are some very good DD decks from the same era, like the KD-550 which IMHO is as good if not better than the PL-71.

Pete The Cat
10-03-2014, 21:10
The PL-71 has been my main deck for the last 9 months. It has an excellent midrange, which I would suggest is at the heart of most musics.

Pete

Gromit
10-03-2014, 21:38
The PL-71's a lovely turntable - I've had 3 of them now - and for the money they go for represents bang-for-buck which is almost unbeatable. For me, having done some swapping of bits with other turntables (putting the arm on a 401, trying its mat on other TT's) the 2 magic bullets on the Pioneer are its arm and the mat. As they're so 'in tune' with the rest of the package it makes for a lovely way to play, and enjoy vinyl.

Whilst I've no doubt certain aspects of the deck could be improved, I feel that if you have one which works properly then leave it well alone. They're an old deck now and it seems at odds with my passion for keeping things original. Don't let that stop other folks having a play though.

I'd still have a Sony 6750 over one though. ;)