PDA

View Full Version : rp6 subplatter

vinyljunky
13-02-2014, 21:22
bought an extreme engineering upgrade subplatter for my rp6 anyone got experience of these haven't fitted it yet got it for a bargain 28 pounds seems pretty substancel

RichB
13-02-2014, 22:56
no experience of them but at that price its no big loss if theres no improvement, doesnt the rp6 already have an alu subplatter though.

can you share the link please, i'd be prepared to spend that kind of money to see if its an improvement over the plastic one on my p3-24.

I've never fancied the groovetracer one (too pricey with the customs and postage) and the ISOkinetik one still looks dear for what at the end of the day seems to be just a bit of metal.

hifi_dave
14-02-2014, 12:17
The RP6 has a two part bearing hub - Phenolic with Alloy on top. The Alloy part has pips on which the platter sits, to couple and isolate the bearing and platter. Anything which negates this is going to sound worse.

Rega are not daft and it makes me smile at the number of 'mods' from people who think they know better. I've seen several Rega 'mods' over the years, many are badly made and finished, often producing a poorer sound than the Rega original. Some alter the platter height, which is not desirable.

prestonchipfryer
14-02-2014, 19:25
From my experience, with a Rega RP7 that I had, I would suggest that you leave your deck as supplied by Rega. I made the ''mistake'' of fitting an after market (Michell) stub and counterweight. Completely messed up the sound for me. Maybe better to leave well alone.

vinyljunky
16-03-2014, 18:58
eventually got round to trying this extreme engineering subplatter noticed no sonic improvment the bass was not tight it seemed a bit loose don't know if it raised the platter slightly higher the platter seemed the same height could be because the subplatter is machined flat it was not providing any grip for the platter thus affecting the sound i have know reverted back to the rega subplatter ahh better:)

hifi_dave
16-03-2014, 22:24
You know it makes sense !!!

Every man and his lathe thinks he can do better than Rega. Thing is, Rega do know what they are doing.

Good news is that you spent only £28 on the 'improvement'.