PDA

View Full Version : Multiplugs (per Naim Hydra)

Kember
12-02-2014, 15:17
The clear out continues. I have three of these BNIP. But then I bought a couple of AG1500s instead!

Asking £12.50 each including postage in mainland UK. Or all three for £30 postage, included. (Paypal gift.) Happy to post elsewhere but at cost.

Obligatory quotation from Geoff Husband of TNT Audio...

“You've all heard it..."the best cable is no cable at all". Apart from being one of those smug comments hi-fi reviewers come out with, it's also rather a stupid comment seeing that even Zen Buddism isn't going to light up those amps unless they're connected to the National Grid... Or so I thought.

Unless you're one of those people who've rewired your house with half a dozen double sockets for the hi-fi (think of all those screw connections there...) you'll have to use a mains "gang socket" of some kind.

The cheap versions of these can cost as little as 10 pounds but most have two big failings. First the links between plugs are a mass of rivets and wafer thin brass track, and secondly they nearly always have an LED to show they're plugged in, happily chucking out RFI into your system, if you're really unlucky they'll have a switch...
There are some classy gang sockets on sale specifically for hi-fi use. These lack the lights and switches of lesser items and the tracks are made of better and thicker material.

They also come equipped with decent quality cabling to join them to your wall socket - these things start at about 100 pounds and rise into seriously silly money thereafter. But I have found something much more purist and at a fraction the price...

The heart of the Hydra is the Multi-Way Mains Plug. This is so delightfully simple, it makes you want to smile.

All it is, is an oversized plug which accepts four cables. So instead of a length of cable and then a complex terminal and track system in a gang socket, here we have a direct connection to the three mains pins for the four sets of earth, live and neutral leads.

Where each set of cables is attached is a substantial "buzz bar" so no skimpy tracks, and because each component is connected within one centimetre of the next you get the nearest thing to perfect star earthing short of cramming all the wires into one plug.

The plug will take up to 3120 Watts (officially) it should cope with most things you throw at it... In one stroke you eliminate at least two connections, a length of cable and all the internal tracks of a gang socket - Believe me if this were marketed as a hi-fi component it'd be gold plated, come with assorted techno and cost 100 pounds.

To complete the Hydra simply fit the mains wires of your choice to each connection and leave sufficient cable to reach your hi-fi. Then just fit the end terminations, IEC etc. The result is neat and makes tangles a thing of the past.

The internals of the plug are very well laid out and of excellent quality so wiring up is easier than with most mains plugs, the only weak point is the fuse holder which is riveted on. A dab of solder will help hold this connection long term...”

Please pm if interested.

Marco
12-02-2014, 15:51
These multi-plugs are *really good*, and a must-have for anyone using 'kettle-style' mains leads (or any mains leads with cable thin enough to go through the plug apertures).

I'm sure you'll have no problem in selling these, Peter :)

Marco.

Kember
12-02-2014, 16:12
These multi-plugs are *really good*, and a must-have for anyone using 'kettle-style' mains leads (or any mains leads with cable thin enough to go through the plug apertures).

I'm sure you'll have no problem in selling these, Peter :)

Marco.

Marco,

Thx. I have star earth arrangement for my Naim stuff and it certainly does the sound no harm. Also tidies up the house somewhat which makes someone important reasonably content:).

P