PDA

View Full Version : [WTB] Denon DL-103SA

Tiff_Needle
08-02-2014, 19:57
Should any of you know of a Denon DL-103SA for sale, please let me know.

As a side note, seller should be willing to either ship it to Portugal or to UK to an address that would be provided.

Preferred payment would be PayPal, but bank transfer would also be ok.

Thank you

itskeith
09-02-2014, 09:44
This is a long shot, but maybe worth a try:

I part exchanged one of these (that required a retip) with Expert Stylus Company. Was a long time ago, but maybe worth giving them a call (especially as I think there were only 2000 ever made). Google them to find the number etc.

Good hunting.

Tiff_Needle
09-02-2014, 14:04
Tkx for the tip. I'll give it a try!

I think it's going to be more of a quest :D

NRG
09-02-2014, 14:57
..another thought, you could ask 2juki on ebay to look out for one, he may be open to it...

Tiff_Needle
09-02-2014, 15:14
2juki? Is that a username? Who is he?

twotone
09-02-2014, 15:19
Cartridge guy on ebay, he's quite famous amongst the record playing cogniscenti:cool:

Tiff_Needle
09-02-2014, 15:32
Hum... Interesting. Never heard of him. How can I look him up?

I've made a search on eBay but didn't get any returns. At least via iPad app.

I'll check via web page.

walpurgis
09-02-2014, 15:45
2juki is not listing DL-103SA cartridges on eBay at the moment.

He does have the standard 103 at £125 though, with free postage.

See here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/2juki-cartridge?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Of course, while you're looking, you could always buy a ZYX or Shelter, then you'd have a proper cartridge! ;)

Or, if you are desperate, order one from LP Gear: http://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONDL103SA.html

NRG
09-02-2014, 17:17
His main ebay store

http://stores.ebay.com/2juki

Marco
09-02-2014, 17:32
Or, if you are desperate, order one from LP Gear: http://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONDL103SA.html

Did you miss this bit, daftee:

Discontinued and unavailable...

;)

Marco.

walpurgis
09-02-2014, 17:39
Did you miss this bit, daftee:

;)

Marco.

So it is. Posted in haste!

Marco
09-02-2014, 18:38
He'd actually be better going for this: http://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONDLA100.html

I reckon it'd be in the same ball-park as an SA... Jonathan, I think you should seriously consider getting one.

Marco.

Tiff_Needle
09-02-2014, 23:31
I've thought of it in the past...

But it is my understanding that the A100 is based on the regular 103 and not the 103R like the SA.

The casing appears to be made out of the same plastic found on the regular 103's

Don't know yet how does it compare to the Pro and SA versions.

I've got to read more on the A100.

Seems that the 103R with an upgraded aluminum or wood shell could be better than the A100...

Tiff_Needle
11-02-2014, 00:48
Just confirmed... They have it available in stock. NEW!

I really have to read more on this A100!

Not much information / reviews / forum posts on the web. Seems like a "regular" 103 with hand selected coils with finer specs, or less deviations from specs. And the housing, I've been told that it's made from the same plastic material as any DL... Except for the SA version.

As opposed by the SA that is an updated version of the R version.

Hum, tough call... Although it could work better with the A23 as it was designed for the standard 103.

What are you're thought guys?

Tiff_Needle
11-02-2014, 01:43
Anyone knows how much would it cost to import the A100 on LpGear's site to UK?

I ask because I can have it shipped to either Portugal or UK and would like to compare which country as lower custom taxes. I expect that shipping to UK might be more attractive.

Can anyone elucidate me on what is the normal import taxes/duties in UK for items imported from US?

What about the trouble that you have to go by to get it cleared from customs? Paperwork and so forth...

Do you receive the product at home directly and pay the import tax at delivery? Do you have to present yourself to the nearest post office to pay the custom taxes and pickup the item?

Sorry for these questions, but I've actually never bought nothing from outside UK and import it to UK so I don't know my way around this stuff in UK... As opposed to Portugal, where I have unfortunately knocked several times at customs offices "doors"!

I only ask as I have the possibility of shipping it to any one of these two countries... The one offering the best end result will get the "prize", aka tax money.

I really don't get how some countries don't get that having high import taxes will only be favoring business through other countries.... Even less on why do we live in a scheagen area but don't have a common tax / trade policy... Anyway... A little off topic here.

Coming back to this, can any of you help me out on how does this work in UK, that is, with imported goods from US?

Marco
12-02-2014, 22:40
Off to bed now, but remind me tomorrow to advise you about that :)

Marco.

Tiff_Needle
14-02-2014, 03:45
So... Any thoughts!

AlfaGTV
14-02-2014, 06:29
There's a DL-103GL in unknown condition available on eBay? Same shell as SA, i believe...
It's a bit expensive though, but it woke my interest!
atb //Mike

twotone
14-02-2014, 15:13
One for sale on the wam, pricy though.

No relation to the seller.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?98107-FS-Denon-103SA

NRG
14-02-2014, 15:43
....its unused though!

lazyscott
14-02-2014, 16:07
Pm sent

twotone
14-02-2014, 16:34
....its unused though!

Indeed!:cool:

walpurgis
14-02-2014, 17:19
One for sale on the wam, pricy though.

No relation to the seller.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?98107-FS-Denon-103SA

Personally, at that price, I'd pay the extra few quid and get a ZYX R50 Bloom H. No contest in my opinion.

Marco
14-02-2014, 21:28
Have you done the comparison between both cartridges in your system then, Geoff?

Marco.

walpurgis
14-02-2014, 21:35
Have you done the comparison between both cartridges in your system then, Geoff?

Marco.

No, but I reckon the SA will have the 103 family sound. Which is not a bad thing by any means. But having had three variants of the 103 (I may be wrong) I reckon the ZYX will be superior by a margin.

Marco
14-02-2014, 21:46
Yes, Geoff, but the cartridge is not being bought to please you, is it? Furthermore, you've no idea if Jonathan heard the ZYX he'd come to the same conclusion. He might well have different tastes from you and prefer the SA. In essence, your "superior" may not be his 'superior'....

I have to be honest, and no offence intended, but your prejudice against the 103 in this instance precludes you from offering unbiased advice, and such your comments are of little help to Jonathan.

Marco.

walpurgis
14-02-2014, 21:49
Yes, Geoff, but the cartridge is not being bought to please you, is it? Furthermore, you've no idea if Jonathan heard the ZYX he'd come to the same conclusion. He might well have different tastes from you and prefer the SA.

I have to be honest, and no offence intended, but your prejudice against the 103 in this instance precludes you from offering unbiased advice, and such your comments are of little help to Jonathan.

Marco.

Fair enough. I'm not biased against the 103, I quite like it and as you suggest, in a different context it may be a fine choice.

Marco
14-02-2014, 21:58
Indeed, and it's that last bit that's crucial.....

The problem with a lot of 'advice' offered on forums is that it's too often more an affirmation of one's own choices/preferences, rather than something designed to genuinely tackle the specific needs of the person asking for the advice! ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
14-02-2014, 22:03
Indeed, and it's that last bit that's crucial.....

The problem with a lot of 'advice' offered on forums is that it's too often more an affirmation of one's own choices/preferences, rather than something designed to genuinely tackle the specific needs of the person asking for the advice! ;)

Marco.

Yes that's probably right. I admit my opinions have not been entirely positive about the 103, but having had five of them (various versions), I suppose I can't have found it that bad. :)

Marco
14-02-2014, 22:12
Indeed, and I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from :)

Right, I must answer Johnathan's earlier question now about custom charges, etc!

Marco.

Marco
14-02-2014, 23:40
Hi Jonathan,

Bearing in mind that I think you would be best now going for Leo's 103SA, I'll answer this anyway for reference...

Anyone knows how much would it cost to import the A100 on LpGear's site to UK?

I'm not sure of the exact figures, but based on stuff I've imported like that before, I wouldn't expect it to be any more than about £25-30.

What about the trouble that you have to go by to get it cleared from customs? Paperwork and so forth...

Do you receive the product at home directly and pay the import tax at delivery? Do you have to present yourself to the nearest post office to pay the custom taxes and pickup the item?

In terms of the UK, it will usually come through Parcelforce. Therefore, once the package clears customs (that is if it doesn't slip through unnoticed, which can happen, and therefore will be sent directly to you, without any further charges), you'll receive a notice in the post from Parcelforce, stating that there is a package for you at your local depot that has been subject to customs charges (tax and import duty).

On that notice, it will show the breakdown of the charges applied and how much you have to pay before the package can be released to you. After that, you phone the number given on the notice, where you can either pay the charges by debit or credit card, and then have the item delivered to you, or go along to your local Parcelforce depot, where the item is being held, and pay the charges there and collect your goods.

If it's a large and/or delicate item, I will usually go for the latter option, in order to save it being handled any further by couriers, where it could incur damage at the final hurdle, as it were (presuming that it's got to that stage in one piece). However, with something small and easily packaged safely, such as a cartridge, I'd just pay the charges and have it delivered.

It's a relatively simple and pain-free process, although sometimes goods can be delayed in customs for days (sometimes weeks), depending on circumstances, so that can be frustrating, but normally things happen pretty quickly.

Incidentally, the DL-A100 is available in the UK, direct from Jordan Acoustics, for £499, if you didn't want the hassle of importing from the US or Japan: http://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/product_details.php?ref=1346

However, even with factoring in the cost of tax and import duty, it's still much cheaper from LP Gear. Like I said, though, now that an unused 103SA has cropped up, I'd advise you to go for that, as I suspect that it'll be the better of the two cartridges.

Hope this helps :)

Marco.

NRG
15-02-2014, 00:41
Not heard the ZYX R50 Bloom H but I have heard, quite a while back though, the R100 and I really can't recall how it sounds...I don't recall it making an impression...memory is a bit fuzzy but I ended up with an Ortofon Kontra B, now that did impress me and I still use one today. The 103SA is quite different to the 103R, yes it has that lovely midrange and great low end but it does not have the same slightly smeared indistinct top end. It's clear and defined in comparison, sure the KB shows how detail and separation should be done and it tracks superbly but...I keep coming back to the 103 and especially now I have the SA...my re-boided R has been relegated! Its been very interesting for me over the last few weeks, I still have a rebuilt 103D to try and I'm very tempted to shift the PL-71 out and give my KD-550 a try...too many decks and not enough time! :D

Marco
15-02-2014, 14:34
The SA is a belter, Neal. If you love the Denon sound, it's pretty hard to beat. However, if you can find one, the DL-103M is certainly right up there with it, and arguably the best DL-103 ever built. I owned one in 1989, and stupidly sold it a few years later! Some images:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/138/lrp4.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/836/6yum.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/196/r1v5.jpg

It has an anti-resonance aluminium body, boron micropipe cantilever with hyper-elliptical stylus, 0.12mV output (so much lower output than a stock 103), and 40ohms impedance. Higher compliance than a stock 103, too. She rocks! :trust:

IMO, that's about the only 103 that will compete with (and likely outperform) an SA. With such a low-output, however, it needs a high-gain MC stage or an appropriate SUT, for optimal performance.

Marco.

Tiff_Needle
15-02-2014, 14:37
Very sexy cart!

You sold it? That's got to hurt LoL

Did you see my PM?

Marco
15-02-2014, 15:08
Yup - and have replied! :)

Marco.

Marco
15-02-2014, 23:39
Incidentally, here's an interesting article about the DL-103, and where the 103M is also mentioned: http://dagogo.com/denon-dl-103-cartridge-review

It's an intriguing read :)

Marco.

Tiff_Needle
17-02-2014, 22:58
Nice read!

By the way you can close this thread. I'm served :)

Barry
18-02-2014, 00:08
Incidentally, here's an interesting article about the DL-103, and where the 103M is also mentioned: http://dagogo.com/denon-dl-103-cartridge-review

It's an intriguing read :)

Marco.

Yes - I enjoyed reading the article as well. Interestingly he recommends either the 12" SME (3012) and EMT 929 arms as being suitable (with which I agree). Also, he doesn't seem that bothered about "nuding" the stock 103; which seems to be at odds with perceived wisdom.