PDA

View Full Version : How to buy vinyl in the 21st century?

The Mighty Quinn
08-02-2014, 13:39
Greetings Everyone

Ok, so I've got my turntable up and running, my new cartridge is aligned properly (thanks to excellent advice of the AoS members!). My new phono stage is hooked up and I even have a brand new VPI HW-17 RCM plugged in and ready to go. Now to buy some records!

But here is my problem: I have bought about 20 new vinyl records over the last couple of weeks, and honestly half of them sound pretty crappy. This is kind of discouraging because it wasn't like these records were cheap. Part of the problem appears to be poor quality pressings (I can actually see surface defects in the surface of some of these pressings). Part of the problem seems like it is the quality of recording (I swear that my Adele 21 record sounds like it was cut directly from an mp3 file).

From what I have been reading online, I'm not the only one who is having this problem. So what is a guy to do? Am I limited in my choices by what Mobile Fidelity gets licenses to reissue (I would quickly reach my limit of Hall & Oats and Bob Dylan)? I have read the Pallas pressings are outstanding, but how does one go about searching for records pressed by Pallas, or any other well respected company? Alternatively, how does one avoid buying questionable pressings and reissues?

Clearly, buying vinyl is the early 21st century is a different experience than it was in the late 20th century. Any advice, tips, tricks, rules of thumb would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Quinn

Macca
08-02-2014, 13:43
You have an RCM so buy second hand. Try a nearby college town for stores I remember San Diego had some great usef record stores. New releases I can't help with.

Haselsh1
08-02-2014, 13:55
I totally agree with regard to the Adelle recordings as both of them are pretty much unplayable. The sound quality is truly appalling.

Audioman
08-02-2014, 14:04
1. Return faulty vinyl (make sure you buy from a seller that takes returns as I understand this is often a problem in the USA). BTW two US plants are notorious for bad pressing quality - Rainbo and United Nashville - though have had good pressings from both. Hence EU pressed versions of many releases are often better.

2. Do some research and be selective as to titles you buy on vinyl. Consult the Steve Hoffman forum where mastering and pressing quality for specific new titles is frequently discussed. The EU pressed Adele 21 does not sound like an MP3 BTW.

3. There are a lot of reissues now that use original analogue tapes as source or at least a good hi-res digital copy of the master. Go for reputable labels such as Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner, Mobile Fidelity etc. Most Warner reissues and increasingly Universal are of very high sound quality.

4. If your tastes are more towards modern music, this is going to be restricted by recording quality which varies greatly. However more often than not the source is better than Mp3 and CD quality and benefits from a vinyl mastering. It's less common these days to find vinyl cut from a CD.

The Mighty Quinn
08-02-2014, 14:38
You have an RCM so buy second hand. Try a nearby college town for stores I remember San Diego had some great usef record stores. New releases I can't help with.

Thanks Martin. Actually, I do live in Cambridge, Massachusetts...arguably THE college town in the US if nerd density is the critical metric (Cambridge is pinned on the west by Harvard and on the east by MIT). We are blessed with a large number of record shops, but somehow I never seem to have the time to visit them. I guess I am going to have to start making the time.

prestonchipfryer
08-02-2014, 16:17
(I swear that my Adele 21 record sounds like it was cut directly from an mp3 file).

Cheers,
Quinn

My copy of Adele 21 is fine and sounds pretty good. Maybe you should return yours and get a refund. New vinyl is expensive, compared to CD and MP3 (crap), and everyone has a right to expect what they have paid for to be of usable quality.

Jimification
09-02-2014, 00:44
They also should be obliged to print some detail of the source on the back. I find I frequently don't buy new copies of older jazz vinyl online because I can't be sure it's not sourced from CD.

machtman
09-02-2014, 08:47
Thanks Martin. Actually, I do live in Cambridge, Massachusetts...arguably THE college town in the US if nerd density is the critical metric (Cambridge is pinned on the west by Harvard and on the east by MIT). We are blessed with a large number of record shops, but somehow I never seem to have the time to visit them. I guess I am going to have to start making the time.

I've gotten back into Vinyl in the last three years and have often been disappointed in the quality of multiple reissues. My solution is to buy the originals, often from Discogs and sometimes from eBay. They are usually much better and often cheaper.

Mark

Macca
09-02-2014, 11:43

You should make the time. In fact it isn't even a question of that, I hate shopping but I can shop for records all day. Loads of fun and takes you back to your youth - only now you can afford to get what you want instead of putting it back in the rack regretfully ;) I've bought a few hundred used records and only a handful have not come up like new after a spin on the RCM. All cheaper than the re-issues, too.

Kember
09-02-2014, 13:18
Indeed, you are spoiled - Boston is great for cheap 2nd hand LPs.

Looking at my receipts from past business trips - I have successfully plundered Cheapo's, Looney Tunes, Nuggets and In Your Ear over the years.

Cheapo's in Minneapolis is my top source on trips to the States (don't ask but I always get to be there in December:( ) and there are great stores in Austin, Texas as well, if you get out and about.

Best

P

twotone
09-02-2014, 19:38
I've gotten back into Vinyl in the last three years and have often been disappointed in the quality of multiple reissues. My solution is to buy the originals, often from Discogs and sometimes from eBay. They are usually much better and often cheaper.

Mark

That's exactly what I do too but recently I bought some real top quality vinyl and the records are worth every penny, most expensive was Gladiator at £47, cheapest was £27 for Dead Can Dance Into the labyrinth but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.

machtman
10-02-2014, 08:05
That's exactly what I do too but recently I bought some real top quality vinyl and the records are worth every penny, most expensive was Gladiator at £47, cheapest was £27 for Dead Can Dance Into the labyrinth but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.

Our standards may differ. I also bought all 3 of those in the last year. I've sold Gladiator and the DCD on through Discogs because Gladiator was not exciting enough and Into the Labyrinth was not as good as the original issue which I also bought. Hope is wonderful. Two superb recent issues are Patricia Barber Cafe Blue and the Tacet Vivaldi, both available from Scott Nangle. If you're ever near the Midlands, come by and I can demonstrate this.

twotone
10-02-2014, 08:58
Our standards may differ. I also bought all 3 of those in the last year. I've sold Gladiator and the DCD on through Discogs because Gladiator was not exciting enough and Into the Labyrinth was not as good as the original issue which I also bought. Hope is wonderful. Two superb recent issues are Patricia Barber Cafe Blue and the Tacet Vivaldi, both available from Scott Nangle. If you're ever near the Midlands, come by and I can demonstrate this.

Hi Mark, my current phono amp is away being updated so I'm listening to these albums via the phono section in my Rega Brio-R, kind of tend to agree re Gladiator but I'm holding fire for now until I can hear it properly.

Thanks for the offer BTW.

Tony

mjkelshaw
11-02-2014, 13:06
- but the total standout is Hugh Masekela's Hope, wonderful recording, it's like listening to what Miles Davis might be recording today if he were still alive.
Sorry for the 'thread hike' - But although Hugh Masekela's playing is wonderfully lyrical - I really don't think he is in the same league as Miles Davis.
For the 'record' I have three versions of "Hope" on CD, SACD and the sonically outstanding vinyl version, however, musically I prefer H.M.'s CD "Live at the Market Theater" - I just wish I could buy that on vinyl.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw