PDA

View Full Version : Questions on VPI HW-17i Record Cleaning Machine

The Mighty Quinn
05-02-2014, 04:39
Hello Everyone,

I received my new VPI HW-17i in the mail today.

As you might imagine, I have been practicing cleaning records for the last few hours. I am using the 8 oz bottle of VPI cleaning solution that came with the unit. I also have a squeezer bottle with high purity (18 Mohm) reverse osmosis/de-ionized water at my disposal. Here are my first impressions of the machine:

1.) I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the apparent build quality of the HW-17. I was thinking that this was going to be an overpriced, flimsy plastic box that somehow got the job done, but this appears to be one solidly built unit.

2.) When I saw the results of my first cleaning, I was nearly giddy. I have never seen a record gleam like that.

3.) Upon playing my first "clean" record, I noticed the expected lower surface noise and frequency of "ticks and pops". Surprisingly, I also noticed a bit more bass extension. I was not expecting the additional bass. It might be that I increased the volume a bit upon hearing the lower surface noise, but I cannot be sure.

Ok, that was the good stuff. But I am having a couple issues with the HW-17:

1.) The cleaned side of the record seems to pick up an unacceptable amount of dust and debris from the cork pad. How can this be avoided? It seems impossible not to transfer dust and debris from the dirty side of the record to the cork pad, and then back again to the cleaned side. How do you guys deal with this?

2.) When following VPI's instructions, I notice a distinct line of residue on the dead wax that coincides to the location where the vacuum brush separates from the record surface. I found that I can eliminate this by repeating the wash cycle using high purity water applied using a squeezer bottle. Does anyone else perform a final "rinse" cycle?

3.) The VPI solution does not appear to adequately wet the surface of the record. A few inches after departing from the dispensing brush I see regions of "dry" vinyl surface forming. It seems like the surface tension of the VPI solution is too high. Anyone else see this? It seems to me that if there are localized areas of non-wetting on the record surface, the solution is probably not penetrating the grooves in these regions and not cleaning thoroughly. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

4.) Anyone use compressed air in a can to pre-dust the surface of the record to minimize dust transfer to the cork pad?

5.) How do you guys clean the dust and debris from the cork pad?

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Quinn

The Grand Wazoo
05-02-2014, 08:31
Not that it'll help you one little bit, but your problem with the cork is precisely why I chose the Moth RCM. The Moth has a label sized hub rather than a platter and so cleaned sides never come into contact with dirty surfaces. A lot of people see the undersized platter as cost cutting but it's actually a well thought out design solution.

I get rid of that line by reversing the spin direction once or twice.

The thing with the surface tension is where the fluid seemingly is repelled by surface of the record! A separate container of fluid with a slightly higher content of wetting agent in it is handy to have around for those particular discs.

I'd not blast my discs with compressed air for fear of ramming dust and grit that's already there further into the groove and creating irreparable damage.

Tarzan
05-02-2014, 08:54
l myself use the VPI RCM and use a separate brush to clean the Cork platter prior to cleaning, l used to use "Record Research Labs" fluids and these were by far the best results l achieved whilst cleaning my records, l make my own solution nowadays ( less expensive plus l am less anal about hifi:lol:), however using the RRL fluids improved sound quite a bit- no l will say quite a lot! Record noise was down considerably and silences were blacker, and more bass and treble smoothness,it lasted quite a while also and pretty good VFM.:)

The Mighty Quinn
05-02-2014, 13:52
Thanks Chris and Tarzan.

With regards to the Moth RCM, I guess that ship has already sailed. The Moth was on my short list, but I chose the VPI because they are much more widely available in the US and because the HW-17 has been around for a long time and continues to get rave reviews. But if I lived in the UK, I think I would have gone for the Moth.

Hey Tarzan, what is your formula for your DIY solution? I have ready access to high purity water and isopropyl alcohol, which seem to be the biggest components of most solutions. The big question always seems to be what surfactant to use. I've seen everything from common dish detergent to "exotic" surfactants like Triton-X114 and high-tech cleaners like Micro-90. What are you using and how much do you use?

Cheers,
Quinn

costerdock
05-02-2014, 14:28
Congratulations - I ordered the VPI MW-1 Cyclone back in December - I should have it sometime next month - really looking forward to it.

Tarzan
05-02-2014, 15:27
Thanks Chris and Tarzan.

With regards to the Moth RCM, I guess that ship has already sailed. The Moth was on my short list, but I chose the VPI because they are much more widely available in the US and because the HW-17 has been around for a long time and continues to get rave reviews. But if I lived in the UK, I think I would have gone for the Moth.

Hey Tarzan, what is your formula for your DIY solution? I have ready access to high purity water and isopropyl alcohol, which seem to be the biggest components of most solutions. The big question always seems to be what surfactant to use. I've seen everything from common dish detergent to "exotic" surfactants like Triton-X114 and high-tech cleaners like Micro-90. What are you using and how much do you use?

Cheers,
Quinn

Quinn, if you want top results, just go for the Record Research labs stuff l mentioned it really is superb and even works on Pishanto records!!!, and l would think being an American product would be a lot cheaper in the USA, my secret formula:lol: is nowhere near as good as the RRL stuff.

The Mighty Quinn
05-02-2014, 18:48
A bit more reading online led me to the following sites on DIY recording cleaning solutions:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1124989009&openusid&zzJustin_time&4&5

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html

The article on audiogon.com is absolutely superb if you want to learn about the various aspects of cleaning solutions, how they work, what to avoid, etc... Truly a great article to read if you are interested in a bit of the chemistry of cleaning your vinyl.

The article on tnt-audio.com has several recipes for DIY cleaning solutions.

Cheers,
Quinn