PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh

Macca
02-02-2014, 22:25
I only know Walsh from the Eagles but have been meaning to check out his solo stuff for years. Anyway boight The smoker You Are The Player You Get but is not my sort of thing at all. Sounds like a Davif Crosby album. I thought he did some more bluesey stuff. Can anyone advise?

Stratmangler
02-02-2014, 22:36
"But Seriously Folks ..." is a masterpiece, and it does have the tremendously comical and self parodying "Life's Been Good" on it.
I'm surprised you don't get on with "Smoker", as it's got "Rocky Mountain Way" on it.
"So What" has some good moments too ...

Macca
02-02-2014, 23:29
I'll check it out, Chris, thanks. Smoker has some good stuff on it but overall not what I expected.

Stratmangler
02-02-2014, 23:34
I'll check it out, Chris, thanks. Smoker has some good stuff on it but overall not what I expected.

That's the thing with Joe Walsh - expect the unexpected.
I've just been playing "But Seriously" and I think it's great from start to finish, but it's not necessarily what you'd expect from a "Guitar Hero".
Repeated visits help, but, as Joe says, you can't argue with a sick mind!

Macca
02-02-2014, 23:38
Lol.

It is a bit of ropey production, though. Very ropey in places and then occasiolly very good.

Stratmangler
02-02-2014, 23:45
Lol.

It is a bit of ropey production, though. Very ropey in places and then occasiolly very good.

That's about right for Joe.
I've moved on to "So What", and I thoroughly recommend it, with the proviso that you leave any preconceptions at the door.
"Help Me Through The Night" is the same wonderful song The Eagles play, "All Night Laundromat Blues" is not, but it is hilarious!

walpurgis
02-02-2014, 23:49
I just love Joe Walsh's stuff. Great lyrics and some superb guitar. His voice suits the songs too.

MikeMusic
03-02-2014, 08:32
I only know Walsh from the Eagles but have been meaning to check out his solo stuff for years. Anyway boight The smoker You Are The Player You Get but is not my sort of thing at all. Sounds like a Davif Crosby album. I thought he did some more bluesey stuff. Can anyone advise?
Just about everything he does is wonderful. If he does a 'duff' album it is merely good. I have the lot
Best of the lot for me
Barnstorm
So What
The smoker you drink
Right behind that - But seriously folks

Also check out
James Gang - Yer' Album
and
- Rides again
- Thirds
where he was a member

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
08-02-2014, 19:30
Martin

I would check out the music noted below by Joe Walsh.
If you like Joe why not try a listen to John Hiatt

Joe Walsh - Analog Man
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue With A sick Mind.

Andy - SDDW

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2014, 19:45
I respect Jow Walsh but I have never really got on with his stuff. I once picked up virtually a complete discography for a fiver and no matter how much I listened I just couldn't get into him. Shame.