PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on upgrading from a novice

Thick_Mike
02-02-2014, 21:26
I've been lurking here for a few weeks. I thought as a newbie I'd share a few thoughts on my recent upgrades.

My old system was:

Analogue - rega Planar 2 with ATE93 on an RB100 arm into a Yamaha S500 amp driving KEF 104/2 speakers

Digital - Acer Revo mini PC running iTunes through a behringer UA202 DAC into the same amp and speakers. Plus a Yamaha CDN 500 CD player

Upgrade 1: repairing the doughnuts on the woofers of the KEFs and replacing the old T33 tweeters with Morel MDT 29s. This really tightened the bass from the KEFs and enhanced the top end. I'm not sure if the T33s were a bit tired or not...there was no sign of distress when I took them out...or whether the Morels are just a little brighter. I liked the change either way.

Upgrade 2: swapped to a rega planar 3 with a linn K5 cartridge. Didn't notice any improvement...in fact a little more rumble was apparent compared to the P2/ATE93

Upgrade 3: Ortofon 2m Blue. Wow! A huge improvement. This put a big grin on my face. Lovely separation of instruments.

Upgrade 4: Creek destiny 2 amp with integrated phono stage. Serious stuff now! The bass is so much more defined, the sibilance removed. No listening fatigue...huge sound feels very controlled.

Upgrade 5: Mac mini. iTunes runs without the glitches that were so annoying on the underpowered Acer. Started using Spotify premium too and enjoying an (almost) in finite CD collection.

Upgrade 6: Teac UD 501 DAC. Really brought the digital music forward. The old system really suffered in comparison to the analogue source. Now it's only a little behind.

Conclusions...

Big grin!

I'm really lucky to have had some money to spend on upgrades. I realise that my system has cost a quite a few £s albeit I bought most of the upgrades second hand, but it's a luxury that many don't have. At the same time I realise that this is just dipping my toe into the money pit that is hifi.

walpurgis
02-02-2014, 21:42
I've been lurking here for a few weeks. I thought as a newbie I'd share a few thoughts on my recent upgrades.

My old system was:

Analogue - rega Planar 2 with ATE93 on an RB100 arm into a Yamaha S500 amp driving KEF 104/2 speakers

Digital - Acer Revo mini PC running iTunes through a behringer UA202 DAC into the same amp and speakers. Plus a Yamaha CDN 500 CD player

Upgrade 1: repairing the doughnuts on the woofers of the KEFs and replacing the old T33 tweeters with Morel MDT 29s. This really tightened the bass from the KEFs and enhanced the top end. I'm not sure if the T33s were a bit tired or not...there was no sign of distress when I took them out...or whether the Morels are just a little brighter. I liked the change either way.

Upgrade 2: swapped to a rega planar 3 with a linn K5 cartridge. Didn't notice any improvement...in fact a little more rumble was apparent compared to the P2/ATE93

Upgrade 3: Ortofon 2m Blue. Wow! A huge improvement. This put a big grin on my face. Lovely separation of instruments.

Upgrade 4: Creek destiny 2 amp with integrated phono stage. Serious stuff now! The bass is so much more defined, the sibilance removed. No listening fatigue...huge sound feels very controlled.

Upgrade 5: Mac mini. iTunes runs without the glitches that were so annoying on the underpowered Acer. Started using Spotify premium too and enjoying an (almost) in finite CD collection.

Upgrade 6: Teac UD 501 DAC. Really brought the digital music forward. The old system really suffered in comparison to the analogue source. Now it's only a little behind.

Conclusions...

Big grin!

I'm really lucky to have had some money to spend on upgrades. I realise that my system has cost a quite a few £s albeit I bought most of the upgrades second hand, but it's a luxury that many don't have. At the same time I realise that this is just dipping my toe into the money pit that is hifi.

Well you have a lovely amp. The turntable and speakers probably don't do it justice.

Thick_Mike
02-02-2014, 22:00
Maybe not a balanced system, but I had to swallow hard before buying the amp which was the only new component!

Andrei
02-02-2014, 22:08
I've heard a RP3 running a Lyre Delos cartridge - very clean sound. He did have it well isolated though - as on a good rack in a different room!
I think that if one is patient, careful with upgrades, research first, prepared to buy 2nd hand and/or to get your hands dirty with a bit of DIY then your money can go a long way.

Thick_Mike
02-02-2014, 22:43
Forgot to say that the rega planar 3 has an RB300 arm.

DSJR
03-02-2014, 08:46
Oh dear - has everyone forgot the source first mantra (with vinyl sources?)

The KEF's by now may have tired electrolytic crossover caps (if used) as similar aged 105's had gone well off spec by now according to tests done in HFN magazine a while ago. This may explain why the tweeters in your 104/2's didn't seem as lively as you remember - early 104/2's were dull and thick anyway although KEF sorted it very quickly. The Morel tweeter is a bit more resonant but in a budget vinyl system may mask the deck's failings well?

The Rega 3 may need everything checked for tightness. Don't go mad on the arm-nut or use the armrest/bias 'extension' as a lever, since this part breaks, expensively (been there and done it!!!). The main bearing nut needs checking annually too and the deck is a sonic mess if allowed to loosen off. Correct siting/isolation is vital here as well for best bass performance. The speakers and amp would benefit from a turntable upgrade eventually I think and I'd be looking at the likes of an RP6 or RP8, Funk LSD or NAS AceSpace deck/arm for your 2M Blue, or possible a good used Techie if you have a bottomless wallet for all the essential upgrades ;) This should give the KEFs more to get their ageing teeth into..

awkwardbydesign
05-02-2014, 20:29
Are you playing music more now? And enjoying it more too? That's the best test, IMO.

Thick_Mike
08-02-2014, 18:06
Definitely playing music more. Loving some old jazz and blues LPs I haven't listened to for ages with a big smile on my face.

Thick_Mike
08-02-2014, 18:10
Update...

Changed my cartridge to a 2m black :)

Going to pick up a Garrard 401 deck tomorrow, although I will have to wait to get it up and running as the plinth is cut for an SME arm. I will have to take a run up at swapping my RB300 onto the plinth. It will be a frustrating wait.

Any thoughts on the best way to mount the arm on the plinth?

Thick_Mike
09-02-2014, 22:00
Solved my mounting problem by buying an SME 309 arm with the 401...just got to find somewhere to put it.

Peter Stockwell
10-02-2014, 07:30
Solved my mounting problem by buying an SME 309 arm with the 401...just got to find somewhere to put it.

!

Serious money. I loved and hated my 401, the speed would never stabilise, it just kept running faster and faster. I had some work done it by reputed 401 gurus (Martin Bastin, Slatedeck), too. If yours will stabilise, you'll love the really solid presentation that it offers.

I've been through some kit over the years, and today I reckon that the best value is with cottage industry manufacturers, such as Chevron Audio, Angle Audio, Temple Audio, Avondale and probaly many others that i'm unaware of.

In your system, given the sources, it's the line stage and ICs that will make the most difference, when another upgrade is desired.

Thick_Mike
10-02-2014, 16:51
I got a great deal :)

The Garrard runs a little fast for the first ten minutes or so, then it's rock solid after that. I have to rearrange my living room though to accommodate it (it's on the floor at the moment).

What do you mean by line stage?

I must admit the interconnects are low quality affairs...I think I might DIY some as I have yet to convince myself about that whole subject and it's an expensive business if I can't hear any difference with my cloth ears!

The Grand Wazoo
10-02-2014, 18:44
A line stage is an input on an amp that isn't a phono stage. A phono stage requires more amplification as well as some equalisation to the RIAA (or similar) standard.

Thick_Mike
10-02-2014, 19:17
Thanks Mr Wazoo!