PDA

View Full Version : A&R Cambridge (ARCAM) A60 amp- please read description - £75 inc p&P (£60 collected)

Ripley's Cat
02-02-2014, 12:43
Hi -

The time has come to sell on my old faithful A60. She's an older unit (aren't they all?) with a mag p.u. phono input label - should age it closely enough. Speaker connections are compatible with standard 'banana' plugs, or bear wires (see photo) rather than the earliest DIN speaker socket model. All source connections, including phono are via DIN. (I'm more than happy to open her up to provide a serial number, if required - just ask.)

External condition is excellent, given the age. No nasty gouges on the wood or scratches on the fascia. There are a few areas (particularly beneath the headphone socket) where patches of paint have abandoned ship - likewise around the edges of the control knobs.
Sound-wise, she's working - but most definitely in a position that demands a service. There's crackles when adjusting the volume and balance controls and I feel that one channel is most definitely louder than the other. For the past few years, she's merely provided background radio service with her matching T21 tuner (pictured, but NOT included for sale) in our bedroom. For this task, she's never missed a beat.

However, the crackles and the channel unbalance suggests that this be sold 'as is' and that her future owner MUST factor in the costs of a service. I've been her owner for 6 years and she's never been serviced under my ownership and the implication from the chap whom I bought it from was that he had never fettled, fiddled or repaired either . . .

Hopefully my price will reflect her need for an M.O.T.! Any questions, please ask. Collection (& / or trial) more than welcome - Washingborough, Lincs. If £75 delivered / £60 collected seems too excessive, I'd be more than happy to accept suggestions from some of the more sage members of our community (so long as they have no vested interest in buying the amp!)

Without question, no returns.

twotone
02-02-2014, 13:16
Hi, Richard (rghbristol) on Pinkfish buys these and refurbs them, you should stick an advert there.

Tony

Ripley's Cat
02-02-2014, 13:31
Hi Tony -

Thanks for the 'heads up'. Not currently a member of PF, but could do well to look into it. Meanwhile, a few days or so here may generate some interest . . .
Regards,
Matt

twotone
02-02-2014, 15:48
Hi Tony -

Thanks for the 'heads up'. Not currently a member of PF, but could do well to look into it. Meanwhile, a few days or so here may generate some interest . . .
Regards,
Matt

Hi Mathew. I've just sold one back to Richard after about a year owning it, they are fantastic amps, very musical. Richard practically rebuilds them.

There's someone on PFM selling a Richard refurbed one for £200, mine's was sold to Richard for what I paid for it, £140.

Ripley's Cat
02-02-2014, 16:28
Hi Tony,

Couldn't agree more - they are fab little amps. To be honest, I've a newer model (complete with attenuated CD input - and reference to CD on the input switch - so definitely one of the later models) waiting in the wings. I also 'suffer' - to a degree - of hoarding (almost) anything that harnesses the magic of the National Grid to enter into a mode of operation. So, in this instance (and I really had to convince myself) that this particular A60 is better off with someone more technically-minded than myself. I may even have the resolve to sell off a few more bits 'n' pieces . . .

Matt

Ripley's Cat
05-02-2014, 06:23
A quick, 'reduction-before-she-heads-off-to-ebay' type bump . . .

£50 collected, £65 inc p&p.

Regards,
Matt