PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon Quintet cartridges.

Floyddroid
01-02-2014, 23:31
Early days i know but has anyone bought one of the new Ortofon Quintet MC cartridges yet especially the black? Just wondered what they sound like and if they are worthy of consideration.:)

Tarzan
02-02-2014, 08:30
Are they on sale yet?:scratch:

hifi_dave
02-02-2014, 09:44
Yes they are. Red = £199, Blue = £325, Bronze = £499, Black = £649

RobbieGong
06-02-2014, 13:11
I've no doubt these are going to be very good for the money. I've a lot of respect for Ortofon and the way they look to produce really good carts at all levels. Would definately consider the black as my first mc. If the mm 2M black is anything to go then the quintet black will be another corker punching way above it's weight :)

RobbieGong
04-04-2014, 18:28
Whilst reviews of the new Quintet Black are almost impossible to find - Heres some of the Tony Bolton review from Hi-fi World May 14 and as appears on Ortofon's website.

"The Quintet Black is something of an audiophile bargain. It seemed to deal with any type of music that I played through it with decorum and an air of quality..."
"It is a very good cartridge that will be a welcome addition to any hi-fi system."
"Very well mannered, but springhtly sounding cartridge...Very smooth midband and treble. Excellent surface noise control. Fast and fluid bass sound."

Looking forward to reading the whole review. :)

Floyddroid
21-06-2014, 05:40
I thought i would resurrect this thread as i wondered if anyone has taken the plunge yet? I read Tony Bolton's review and found it intriguing. Not much on the forums about them yet though.

daytona600
21-06-2014, 13:24
[QUOTE=RobbieGong;539430]
Whilst reviews of the new Quintet Black are almost impossible to find -

this months TAS Review

red is a bargain for £199 & the black is a cracker

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ortofon-quintet-cartridges/

Clive197
21-06-2014, 23:43
I would also be interested to hear a users opinion.

Clive

Floyddroid
22-06-2014, 15:46
I'm with you on that one Clive.

I would also be interested to hear a users opinion.

Clive

DSJR
22-06-2014, 16:07
No user opinion here, but the basic mechanicals are well tried and trusted over many decades IMO. Jiggle around with compliance, fancy internal wiring and different grades/profiles of already very well finished diamond tips and you have a great way to present a range. I'm sure they're great and a fitting MC range to partner the already highly capable 2M range, which itself is derived from the old OM series of thirty years ago, fine tuning as they went along :)

RobbieGong
19-07-2014, 22:03
Here's some more from a Quintet Black user, copied and pasted directly from posts on Audiogon.

I now have the Quintet Black which replaced a Benz Glider SH mounted to an Origin Live Encounter arm on an OL table. I have it tracking at 2.3g and loaded at 100 ohms. This cartridge sounds simply fabulous on this table. Tonally it is spot on, the bass is punchy but well defined, the treble is open and airy with a well defined sound stage. Surface noise is also extremely quiet. There is not a single area that I feel the Benz was better.
The cartridge was easy to install as it comes with a stylus guard and the boxy shape helps with an initial setup. As noted in the TAS review, I found it critical to set the tone arm with a slight negative rake. With the tone arm level, there was a distinct lack of energy in the 1k-2k range that made female vocalists sound like they had a chest cold and an overall lack of air.
I am very happy with this cartridge and impressed by the performance available at what I consider to be a realistic price point.
The big problem now is this so kills listening to digital that I now need an upgrade in the digital department

He also posted:
Dayglow, I'm not familiar with the AT-OC9 so I can't compare. I will say the Quintet black is not at all thin sounding nor does it present any shrillness. Deep bass is there when called for but never omnipresent. Last night I played Fleetwood Mac Rumours and that is the best I've ever heard that LP. The vocals were spot on and there was a strong driving beat that propelled the music forward without being over the top. In addition, it is an old LP but sounded like a new audiophile pressing!

and then posted:
The top end is extended but never spitty or aggressive. I just get the feeling this cartridge is happy playing music. It sounds very engaging. Crappy recordings are still crappy but at the same time less crappy than I remember them.
I am smitten with this cartridge!

Personally I'm in no doubt it'll be a great cart, doing a great job accurately and bringing a big smile to the face like it's sibling the 2M Black always does for me and so many others. I'm hoping to treat myself to one as a pressie for my 'milestone' birthday in November. It'll be my first ever mc :)

RobbieGong
13-11-2014, 14:07
Recent Quintet Black review from this month here: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-quintet-black-moving-coil-cartridge-fast-clean-nimble-and-detailed :)

Tarzan
13-11-2014, 14:19
Recent Quintet Black review from this month here: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-quintet-black-moving-coil-cartridge-fast-clean-nimble-and-detailed :)

l think they liked it.:eek:

hifi_dave
13-11-2014, 15:17
It is a lovely cartridge at a not too ridiculous price as these things go. It's also a practical shape which aids fitting.

Chivas
19-11-2014, 20:16
I've always wanted to have a MC cart, and this sounds like a sensible option, especially since I'm a big fan of the 2M black. What would be a good partnering SUT for it?

hifi_dave
19-11-2014, 20:45
RFC, who can be found on this forum, makes a wonderful SUT.

Chivas
19-11-2014, 21:27
Cheers David. Any idea what they go for?

struth
19-11-2014, 22:07
Think the Blue is about £320

Chivas
19-11-2014, 22:28
Cheers, but I meant the SUT by RFC

hifi_dave
19-11-2014, 22:44
It's 500 quidish and makes nonsense of many far more expensive SUTs.

Chivas
20-11-2014, 06:20
Aaah, cheers David. So that will put the total just north of £1k. Quite reasonable and puts a good MC setup within reach, but not so cheap to go for it just for the hell of it

hifi_dave
20-11-2014, 11:59
Definitely not a "I'll give it a go" purchase but definitely worth considering when the time comes.

Floyddroid
28-11-2014, 06:31
Well, iv'e only gone and bought one ain'ti?
l think they liked it.:eek:

RobbieGong
28-11-2014, 09:06
Well, iv'e only gone and bought one ain'ti?

Hi Steve, if you bought the Black I'm really looking forward to what you think of it :)

vinyljunky
30-11-2014, 12:08
any thoughs on your ortofon quintet cart be interesting to here your articulate thoughts on its sound presentation cheers steve:scratch:

daytona600
30-11-2014, 14:34
Qiuntet Black just won Hifi World cartridge of the year 2014
use one everyday myself

Floyddroid
30-11-2014, 14:56
Yes chaps. It is the black. I will let you know my thoughts during the week.
use one everyday myself

Tarzan
30-11-2014, 18:51

:popcorn:

RobbieGong
02-12-2014, 22:50
use one everyday myself

And what do you think of it ? How does it compare to other carts you've had ? How would you describe its presentation in your system of course ? ;)

Tarzan
03-12-2014, 19:19

Come on man, you posted this four days ago and not posted your thought this is outrageous.:D

RobbieGong
08-12-2014, 22:16
Have you set it up yet Steve ? Your thoughts ??

Scott, Care to share your thoughts as you use one everyday. Hopefully not being a pain but a few of us would love to know what you guys think, it's a caring, sharing Hi-Fi forum afterall ;)

daytona600
09-12-2014, 09:58
Scott, Care to share your thoughts as you use one everyday. Hopefully not being a pain but a few of us would love to know what you guys think, it's a caring, sharing Hi-Fi forum afterall ;)[/QUOTE]

use one as my daily cartridge robert for about 40hours per week & what he said below

Interestingly, the Quintet shares the far more expensive Windfeld's tonal and textural superiority with its less than fully expressive macro dynamics. In my opinion I'm happy to give up some dynamic capabilities in exchange for near tonal perfection especially at $999.00. Just remember that with its .3mV output you need a quiet phono preamp capable of at least 53dB gain. Feeding an MC stage with those capabilities the Ortofon Quintet is an all around great performer for all musical genres. $999 is not chump change but if that's your budget and your phono preamp can do it justice and your tone arm's VTA/SRA is adjustable to optimize the Shibata stylus, the Quintet is recommended without reservation.
michael fremmer stereophile

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-quintet-black-moving-coil-cartridge-fast-clean-nimble-and-detailed

RobbieGong
09-12-2014, 13:13
Scott, Care to share your thoughts as you use one everyday. Hopefully not being a pain but a few of us would love to know what you guys think, it's a caring, sharing Hi-Fi forum afterall ;)

use one as my daily cartridge robert for about 40hours per week & what he said below

Interestingly, the Quintet shares the far more expensive Windfeld's tonal and textural superiority with its less than fully expressive macro dynamics. In my opinion I'm happy to give up some dynamic capabilities in exchange for near tonal perfection especially at $999.00. Just remember that with its .3mV output you need a quiet phono preamp capable of at least 53dB gain. Feeding an MC stage with those capabilities the Ortofon Quintet is an all around great performer for all musical genres. $999 is not chump change but if that's your budget and your phono preamp can do it justice and your tone arm's VTA/SRA is adjustable to optimize the Shibata stylus, the Quintet is recommended without reservation.
michael fremmer stereophile

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ortofon-quintet-black-moving-coil-cartridge-fast-clean-nimble-and-detailed[/QUOTE]

Cheers Scott.

bob4333
06-01-2015, 07:52

err............. What happened to the Quintet Black? Time has passed and I'd quite like to know how it turned out.

Tarzan
06-01-2015, 11:25
err............. What happened to the Quintet Black? Time has passed and I'd quite like to know how it turned out.

:popcorn:

RobbieGong
06-01-2015, 12:48
Steve's forgot he'd let us know his thoughts / findings, other priorities I guess................

Floyddroid
14-01-2015, 18:56
Sorry about that chaps. Disappearing up my own butt lately! With regards to the Quintet black i have mixed views. At the moment it is in my Lenco GL75/jelco via my VTL 2.5 valve phono stage. As it is now it is very very smooth with a full wholesome soundstage. I am tempted to bolt it into my 1210/RB250 to see how it fairs there. I found it so smooth that it robbed some of the music of dynamics and PRAT seemed to suffer as a consequence. This conflicts with the late Tony Bolton's findings in HFW. Compared to my Dynavector 2XX through the same system it sounds lack lustre. I will report back when i have tweaked things a little. I fear that it doesn't get on well with my phono stage.

NRG
25-01-2015, 10:57
Have you made any progress with the Quintet Steve? Interesting reading your mixed thoughts, what you describe is very similar to my thoughts about the now EOL Rondo range which the Quintet has effectively replaced. They are detailed and competent across the frequency range but somehow just lack that little bit of drive and engagement....

337alant
25-01-2015, 14:07
I had Steves Lenco /Jelco 250 combo over at my place for a few days and concur with Steves findings, it doesn't do anything wrong it just doesn't do anything for me, replacing it with a denon DL160 really opened up the sound it became vibrant and musical. I didn't try experimenting with the loading ?.
I also tried the Quintet Black in my paradise phono with 100ohm loading, Pioneer PCL590 turntable and SME3009 2 tone arm
It showed the same character there, its very neutral, sweet with excellent natural voice sound but I also found it a bit bass light and lacking in drive, I much preferred my Kontrapunct B
Im sure there must be a lively turntable / Arm / phono combination which suits it well so it can shine, maybe the 1210 might just bring it to life ?.

Alan

Bluebeat13
28-01-2015, 20:39
If anyone is looking for one to try out there is an apparently mint Quintet Black on PFM for £300. Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be a cheap way to give one a go.

Edit: Just seen its on here too!

337alant
29-01-2015, 22:59
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/comparison-between-the-ortofon-quintets-and-cadenzas.343106/

Just about sums it up for me and my experience with the quintet black, I would say my Kontrapunct B was possibly similar to the cadenza blue and it showed it a clean pair of heels

Alan

walpurgis
29-01-2015, 23:08
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/comparison-between-the-ortofon-quintets-and-cadenzas.343106/

Just about sums it up for me and my experience with the quintet black, I would say my Kontrapunct B was possibly similar to the cadenza blue and it showed it a clean pair of heels

Alan

Hmm. Makes the ZYX range look rather like bargains. :)

RobbieGong
30-01-2015, 13:40

Alan

Yeah, I saw this review a long time ago and took it absolutely with a pinch of salt as I felt that to not do so would be a big mistake. This is the only review re: the QB like this. All other reviews are very favourable indeed whether hifi mag or customer review. The Hoffman review starts by saying that conditions were far from ideal, cramped, background noise and so on. It also refers to the QB displaying a raw, metallic and unfocused sound, - Really !!?? That is the furthest characteristic I've ever read any of the Shibata clad Ortofons to possess, where you'll usually read smooth, detailed etc etc. My own experience of the Shabattered (for want of a better word ) 2M Black is just that too. It is clear from this review that what is occurring is basically general swapping out from one cart to the another. Now for anyone who has had experience of a cart with a sophisticated stylus profile like the Shibata, it is not one you can just swap out quickly, line up in the headshell and think good to go - no way !! In my experience and that of others here, it takes proper time and careful, meticulous set up to get a cart like this singing end of. Look at the other reviews. The only reason I'd say do not dismiss this review is because it gives good insight into what you'll get if you dont set it up or most /all carts properly for that matter ;) Seems he did get the top Shibata Cadenza Black to please his ears though so all a bit strange really :scratch:

337alant
30-01-2015, 22:08
Robbie
The QB has to be one of the easiest cart that I have ever set up as it has all strait sides and it sailed through the tracking tests on the HFN test record so I have no doubt that it was set up correctly, I have heard the cadenza black and loved it, I also love my 2 x Kontrapunkt B's and all the ortofon's I have had before so there is no prejudice here I just thought the QB sounded flat and lifeless and bass light similar to that review, I didn't want that to happen believe me as I was going to buy one, I won't be now for sure

Alan

Alan

RobbieGong
30-01-2015, 23:19
Robbie
The QB has to be one of the easiest cart that I have ever set up as it has all strait sides and it sailed through the tracking tests on the HFN test record so I have no doubt that it was set up correctly, I have heard the cadenza black and loved it, I also love my 2 x Kontrapunkt B's and all the ortofon's I have had before so there is no prejudice here I just thought the QB sounded flat and lifeless and bass light similar to that review, I didn't want that to happen believe me as I was going to buy one, I won't be now for sure

Alan

Alan

I hear ya Allen. It was what you experienced so it's valid against my non personal experience of it thats for sure. Read lots of good stuf about the Kontrapunkt B over the years and always hankered for its big brother the Jubilee (Shibata) - have you ever heard one of those as I havnt. Would love the Cadenza Black too but unfortunately way out of the range of what my pocket can manage at the mo. :)

British high fidelity
20-01-2016, 14:06
Can I ask the recommendation before for the nagaoka mp300 is that what you guys would agree is the best for the equipment I have

Floyddroid
22-01-2016, 06:41
Can I ask the recommendation before for the nagaoka mp300 is that what you guys would agree is the best for the equipment I have

I have found in the past that Nagaoka cartridges are amongst the most musical instruments have heard anywhere. Bomb proof, reliable and easy to set up. Buy with confidence.

sliderule3_14
24-04-2016, 01:56
I personally love my QB, though I haven't heard many of the upper end carts. Perhaps, it works well with my mid-fi system.

Just had a partial heart attack when the anti-skate had me miss my target by a tad, slipping the stylus off the 45's intro and the Shibata scraped over my Rega's wool mat!!!!! :doh: