PDA

View Full Version : Set Up Geometry

Ali Tait
01-02-2014, 13:10
Now that I'm the proud owner of a Dr Feikert protractor, thought I'd ask the question, what geometry do folk use for set up, and why?

The Barbarian
01-02-2014, 13:17
It's like heaven when you use a TT that needs absolutely no geometry set up, no cartridge alighnment. just tracking force.

Ali Tait
01-02-2014, 13:21
Which TT is that mate?

anubisgrau
01-02-2014, 13:31
probably a laser one :mental:

Macca
01-02-2014, 13:40
perhaps, like the Universe, it begins with a 'Bang' ....

Ammonite Audio
01-02-2014, 13:58
Now that I'm the proud owner of a Dr Feikert protractor, thought I'd ask the question, what geometry do folk use for set up, and why?

I have the Clearaudio alignment jig and consistently prefer the sound when the cartridge is aligned for IEC Standard geometry (Baerwald?).

The Barbarian
01-02-2014, 14:16
probably a laser one :mental:

:lol: don't think so it's me your talking to here :D

Stratmangler
01-02-2014, 15:08
IEC Standard geometry (Baerwald?).

That's what Ortofon say about their tonearm geometry

http://www.ortofon.com/products/tonearms/ta-110

Stratmangler
01-02-2014, 15:09
I have and use an inexpensive Ortofon alignment protractor and set up my cartridges using that.
If I have a paranoia attack I can always check with the alignment disc that comes with the Hi-Fi News test disc - it's the same alignment.

AlfaGTV
01-02-2014, 17:43
After, like, ten posts you will have at least one answer.. ;)
I use the Baerwald alignment on my Dr Feickert NG protractor, which by the way is an absolutely amazing tool!
I use Bearwald as i belive its the one that gives the lowest average angular fault over a standard LP side?

Do you have another favorite?

Best regards Mike

Ali Tait
01-02-2014, 17:46
Cheers Mike, yes a great tool as you say. The cart is set up at the moment with Baerwald.

Barry
01-02-2014, 18:59

The geometry used in setting up an arm is the same geometry chosen by the designer of the arm. Most early British arms (early SMEs Deccas and the Keith Monks) used Stevenson, some European arms use Baerwald or sometimes Loefgren. Current arms such as the later SMEs use Baerwald. The Japanese tend to "do their own thing", as do some American arms (the Infinity Black Widow).

For an explanation of the whole tracking geometry problem see: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?20109-Tonearm-alignment

The best answer is to look up the arm you use in vinylengines data base and use the null points calculated for the geometry of that particular arm. The underlying theory is contained in the article cited above.

Ali Tait
01-02-2014, 19:20
Thanks Barry, I'll take a look.

DSJR
01-02-2014, 19:54
Which TT is that mate?

Not Andr'e, but I'm currently enjoying my old Beogram 3000 from 1972 with SP12 stylus (similar to current avatar pic). No external overhang adjustment needed, azimuth usually pre-set at the factory as well (but is adjustable) and the ONLY time tracking force is needed is from new when the counterweight is first fitted and tracking force dialled up. Sounds quite good as well now it has a replacement belt (stylus is new unused old stock)... easily equalled a Rega/K9 back in the day (80's).