PDA

View Full Version : Free-Sat/Digital Recorder recommendations

Marco
29-01-2014, 18:11
Guys,

My parents are looking to move from using a Freeview box with their (HD compatible Samsung flat-screen TV), to a Free-Sat/Digital recorder set-up, including having a satellite dish installed from scratch, for the first time.

Therefore, as I know less than nothing about these things, I'd like some reccos from the 'tech-savy' folks here for the best Free-sat set-up, consisting of the supply of new a dish and complete installation of everything, including a suitable digital recorder.

In terms of the latter, I was thinking of the Humax HDR-1000S (my parents wouldn't really want to spend any more than £250 on the recorder itself). Curry's have offered them a deal of supplying the Humax, a new dish, and full installation of everything for £304.99, which having shopped around a bit seems pretty good.

Questions:

1) Is the Humax the best Free-sat recorder to have for the money, and if not, what is (in terms of ease of use, reliability and performance)? Perhaps the Samsung SMT-S7800?

2) Would it be better to buy the recorder separately from, say, Richer Sounds, who have the Humax on sale for £199.99 (the cheapest I've seen it): http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g as opposed to the £209.99 of Curry's) and get a local TV and satellite firm to install everything and supply the dish?

3) Is there anything else they should be considering?

Cheers, chaps! :cool:

Marco.

Mark Grant
29-01-2014, 19:28
Are you sure they need Freesat ?
Are there channels on Freesat needed that are not of freeview?

The Humax Freeview HD recorders are very good and no need for dish.

Will post links to boxes when I know what is needed :)

Marco
29-01-2014, 19:52
Thanks, Mark. It's just dawned on me - do you sell some of this stuff, mate? I never even thought! :doh:

What channels are available on the Humax Freeview HD recorders? I think much depends on the signal you get in the area of installation, but if there is a 'stock list' of channels available, it would be handy to know (my mum watches mainly old films, old comedies and game shows, so access to the likes of UK Gold and Challenge are important) :)

Is Internet radio available with the Freeview HD recorders, or only with Free-sat? That's something my dad would definitely use, as he'd listen to the Scottish football on Sportsound, on BBC Radio Scotland, which he used to do up in Glasgow.

Also, one of the reasons for selecting Free-sat was the consideration that, with TVs now being supplied with Freeview built-in (and my parents not wanting to change their current basic flat-screen TV until it goes pop), Freeview boxes may be in danger of becoming defunct, and thus no longer supported, whereas with Free-sat that wouldn't be a consideration.

What's your view on that, dude?

Marco.

Marco
30-01-2014, 08:33
Does anyone else have some thoughts on this, until Mark comes back? :)

Marco.

Beobloke
30-01-2014, 08:34
Marco, it's worth checking with your parents what particular channels they like as, whilst both Freeview and Freesat have the same core channels, they differ in their provision of the smaller ones. As an example off the top of my head, Freeview has Dave and Quest but Freesat doesn't, whereas Freesat has the likes of CBS Action and the Horror channel but Freeview doesn't.

Channel lists here for Freeview: http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels
And here for Freesat: http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

We had an enfoced change to Freesat when we moved house two years ago as there is the square root of naff all Freeview signal where we now live - luckily there was already a dish on the house. I bought a Humax Foxsat HDR box and have to say I've been very impressed with it and don't miss Freeview at all. Well, apart from when I have the occasional hankering to watch a repeat of a 2003 episode of Top Gear on Dave, but that doesn't happen all that often... As a bonus, the Freesat signal is stronger and generally much more reliable.

The Currys all-in price does sound quite good but, then again, this does mean dealing with Currys - caveat emptor!

Marco
30-01-2014, 08:51
Thanks for the info, Adam. The channel lists in particular are useful :)

I note that Freeview doesn't offer BBC Radio Scotland, which would pretty much rule it out for my dad, as one of the things that attracted him to upgrade from his current (old) Freeview box, is being able to tune into live football commentary, in the SPL, which he used to do up in Scotland.

Furthermore, given the fact that TVs now are being produced with Freeview built-in, one wonders how long separate Freeview boxes will continue being made? I'd like this set-up to be as 'future-proofed' as possible, which makes me side more with the idea of getting a dish fitted and going with Free-sat.

One question: if they go with Free-sat, and have a dish fitted, could SKY Sports be added later to the Free-sat package, or is that a different thing entirely? And if that is possible, would it all work from the same dish?

I know what you mean about Currys, which is why I wondered if there would be any benefit in buying the Humax unit from an external supplier and then getting a local TV/satellite firm to install it, along with a suitable dish.... At least then, there would be a professional point of contact available, should anything go wrong with the installation in future, rather than having to deal with Currys.

Marco.

Beobloke
30-01-2014, 10:17
One question: if they go with Free-sat, and have a dish fitted, could SKY Sports be added later to the Free-sat package, or is that a different thing entirely? And if that is possible, would it all work from the same dish?

I don't think you can do this unless you go for a 'Freesat from Sky' package, which offers the same basic satellite channels for free but allows you to upgrade to Sky Digital and buy packages. As far as I know, the dish is the same, though - the people in our house before us used the dish we have to receive Sky.

Sky Freesat/Normal Freesat/Freeview comparison here: http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/why-choose-freesat/

Mark Grant
30-01-2014, 11:32
Sky Freesat/Normal Freesat/Freeview comparison here: http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/why-choose-freesat/

Sky are a bit misleading as unless things have changed very recently you cant record freesat on a freesat from sky box unless you pay a monthly subscription,

They make it look good with more channels but don't tell the whole story.

a question on the support forum:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/TV-Equipment-Questions/how-much-does-it-cost-to-view-and-record-freesat-tv-using-a-sky/qaq-p/1452095

Looks like it is £10.25 a month to record free television :eek: even though the box was bought for £175.
I bet that catches a lot of people out.

Mark Grant
30-01-2014, 11:58
I note that Freeview doesn't offer BBC Radio Scotland, which would pretty much rule it out for my dad, as one of the things that attracted him to upgrade from his current (old) Freeview box, is being able to tune into live football commentary, in the SPL, which he used to do up in Scotland.
Marco.

That answers it, Freesat it is then :)

The Humax are good.

I usually buy from Humax direct for myself or family members etc, nearly always the 'Managers Specials' which are returns I think.
All have been as new so far.

http://www1.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/ProdCat/all?ck=factory

Only a 1 year on site swap out warranty but they are cheap enough.

Or Richer Sounds and pay a bit extra for the 5 year warranty.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g

Chester might be the nearest branch and they can usually recommend an installer.
http://www.richersounds.com/stores/chester

webby
30-01-2014, 12:25
Marco, I'll chip in if I may with a thought you've no doubt already considered.

How about contacting a local supplier/installer and quote them the two prices you've been given (richer sounds box and currys all in) and see if they can match or better the currys deal. They may even supply the humax themselves and I'm sure they'd be happy with the business. Plus, you'll probably get better service and support from them and more chance of customising the install to your parents liking.

Tbh, I'd pay £10 or so more to avoid currys.

Good luck.

prestonchipfryer
30-01-2014, 13:07
Marco, can I add to the discussion please.

Originally we had Freesat installed by Currys. When it went awry they didn't want to know because the 12 month guarantee was up.

So we went Freesat with a local independent dealer and I'm glad we did. We had a small problem and they came and fixed it for free the same day as I contacted them. Yes we paid more than Currys but we get excellent after-care service.

The Humax (which we use) recorders are excellent and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Stratmangler
30-01-2014, 22:00
We have a Panasonic Bluray player with HDD recording and twin Freeview HD tuners.
Cost about £250ish, and works with a terrestrial aerial.
Save having a dish installed ;)

CageyH
31-01-2014, 18:19
I have a Humax Foxsat HDR.
Fantastic bit of kit. Only complaint is that the remote seems to be a bit hit and miss at times, and you have to press the button more than once.
In the 5 years I have had mine, it's never missed a beat.

Marco
02-02-2014, 07:45
Thanks for your recent replies, chaps. I'll get to them as soon as I can :)

Marco.

seoirse2002
02-02-2014, 10:46
I have the Humax...great piece of kit and you can connect it to the internet to get BBC iplayer and others too!
great for repeats and stuff you missed.:)

The Barbarian
02-02-2014, 11:11
Just bought some new Samsung TV's for the house the Freeview thats built in leaves my Sky standing

Marco
04-02-2014, 11:19
Thanks for all your help on this, chaps.

I've decided to get them the Humax HDR1000S from Richer Sounds, and have managed to find a local TV/satellite installation firm who can supply the dish and install everything for £110, so with the cost of the Free-Sat box, that comes to £309.99, which I think is a pretty good deal!

Job done :cool:

Marco.

Mark Grant
04-02-2014, 12:05
Marvellous :)

It is worth paying the extra £19.90 at richer sounds for the 5 year warranty.

Marco
04-02-2014, 12:23
Good point, Mark. I'll do that :)

Marco.

Marco
07-02-2014, 18:19
Just a thought (anyone), you don't need a broadband line/modem, in order to use the Humax, do you? I presume that connecting it to a phone line is just if you want to access the 'On Demand' stuff, like films?

My parents simply want to watch the standard channels.

Marco.

brian2957
07-02-2014, 18:42
You goin down Jamaica street then Marco . If you park in the car park next to the shop they used to refund your parking costs :)

prestonchipfryer
07-02-2014, 18:44
Just a thought (anyone), you don't need a broadband line/modem, in order to use the Humax, do you?
Marco.

No, there's no need for any of that. :)

Marco
07-02-2014, 18:57
You goin down Jamaica street then Marco . If you park in the car park next to the shop they used to refund your parking costs :)

Lol - done that many a time when ah wiz up in Glesga... Ah miss the auld toon!

Marco.

Marco
07-02-2014, 19:00
No, there's no need for any of that. :)

Thank fook, although it's an option they can consider for later. Any idea, John, if with Free-Sat (and the Humax), Internet radio just comes from the dish, or for that do you need the unit also connected to a phone line?

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
07-02-2014, 21:19
Thank fook, although it's an option they can consider for later. Any idea, John, if with Free-Sat (and the Humax), Internet radio just comes from the dish, or for that do you need the unit also connected to a phone line?

Marco.

There are approx. 40 different radio stations available via Freesat from the dish. These are accessed from the remote control. Any internet radio will need a connection to b/band, which I understand your good folks don't need/want. :)

Marco
07-02-2014, 21:30
Hi John,

I'm thinking here specifically of BBC Radio Scotland, on MW. Is that one of the 40 stations, available from the dish? :)

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
07-02-2014, 21:52
Marco. Not sure about that - but I would expect it to be there, as Freesat is area pacific, i.e. programmes received based on postcode area.
John

Marco
07-02-2014, 21:55
Okies, dude... I know that I can get BBC Radio Scotland (on MW), via my SKY dish, and my SKY box isn't connected to the phone line, so hopefully it'll be the same with Free-Sat.

Marco.

Mark Grant
07-02-2014, 22:28
It is channel 712 according to here:

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/platforms/freesat

and here:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/freesat-channels/

Marco
07-02-2014, 22:31
Nice one, Mark. Looks like it's a go-er, then. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
08-02-2014, 11:41
Marco, just had Radio Scotland on channel 712 Freesat. :)

Marco
08-02-2014, 13:08
Excellent, dude - the old man will be chuffed :smoking:

Marco.

Marco
15-02-2014, 17:23
Just to say that my parents had the whole shebang installed the other day. It works superbly and they're delighted with it, so thanks to all who offered their advice! :cool:

Marco.