PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block.

nuff
26-01-2014, 21:35
Hi all.
After finding some very old vinyl in the loft from when I was a teen, I decided to buy myself a cheap turntable.
I bought myself a Rotel RP3000 from eBay and loved the vinyl sound.
I thought I'd then take it 1 step further by restoring the turntable as it was quite drab.
I bought some European walnut burl veneer and covered the cheap looking chipboard plinth.
I then thought I would upgrade my tonearm so I did a bit of browsing and settled on an SME3009
It's all now back together and sounds really good to me! I know it's only a cheap starter turntable but it's only a start.

I doubt it's going to stop here as I'm already looking at a linn LP12 :eek:
Anyway. My system comprises of.
Denon AVCA1D
B&W 683's
Cambridge audio dac magic azur
27" iMac for digital audio.
Music I listen too. All sorts really. Just bought a brand new copy of Adele 19. I also listen to 80's, Trance, rock, metal.. A mixed bag really!

Anyway. Enough from me, just thought I'd say hi.

Wakefield Turntables
26-01-2014, 21:42
I wouldnt bother with the LP12 (over hyped if you ask me). Why not try and find a Alphason solo or a Heybrook TT. Far cheaper and IMHO surpasses the LP12 by a country mile.

nuff
26-01-2014, 21:48
I wouldnt bother with the LP12 (over hyped if you ask me). Why not try and find a Alphason solo or a Heybrook TT. Far cheaper and IMHO surpasses the LP12 by a country mile.

That's great advice thank you.
This is one of the reasons I thought I'd join. Thanks again for your suggestions.

stiarno
26-01-2014, 23:45
Welcome to AOS. Great looking turntable:)

nuff
27-01-2014, 10:38
Welcome to AOS. Great looking turntable:)

Thanks stiarno,
It's nothing like the turntables I've seen on here mind but its OK for starting off.

Macca
27-01-2014, 10:52
Welcome - cool looking deck and I like your speakers too.

trio leo
27-01-2014, 10:59
Hi Nathan,
Welcome to the AoS from me, always nice to see another vinyl spinner join the forum, having a detachable headshell, it's easy to play around with cartridges and you can try felt, cork or sorbothane pads under the feet of the deck just to see if you can hear any improvements without costing much. nice job of veneering, the Rotel looks super.

enjoy your music

regards Al

nuff
27-01-2014, 12:43
Welcome - cool looking deck and I like your speakers too.

Cheers Macca,
I do love the speakers, There great for both home cinema and music which is one of the reasons i bought them.
Thanks for welcome, I feel this is going to be an exciting but expensive ride :lol:

nuff
27-01-2014, 12:53
Hi Nathan,
Welcome to the AoS from me, always nice to see another vinyl spinner join the forum, having a detachable headshell, it's easy to play around with cartridges and you can try felt, cork or sorbothane pads under the feet of the deck just to see if you can hear any improvements without costing much. nice job of veneering, the Rotel looks super.

enjoy your music

regards Al

Thanks trio leo,

It looks a hell of alot better than it did when i bought it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the advice on isolation, I will give this a try.

archiesdad
27-01-2014, 19:57
Howdy and welcome.

nuff
27-01-2014, 20:02
Howdy and welcome.

How do archiesdad!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Floyddroid
30-01-2014, 23:24
A massive welcome to AOS. That's a great sytem you have. I strted off with a Rotel RP1500 belt drive TT in th early seventies and sold it on all too quickly. Please let me know if you ever want to sell your TT as i would be very interested in buying it from you.

nuff
04-02-2014, 21:42
A massive welcome to AOS. That's a great sytem you have. I strted off with a Rotel RP1500 belt drive TT in th early seventies and sold it on all too quickly. Please let me know if you ever want to sell your TT as i would be very interested in buying it from you.

Hi Floyddroid.
Thanks for your comments! I've been debating for sometime wether to join on here as I know myself it's only a budget system but I am happy with it now I've refurbished it. And the playback is very good considering it's a starter TT
Thanks again and I will definitely keep you in mind if I ever want to sell.
Nathan.