PDA

View Full Version : Cat5 or Cat6?

paul(555)
26-01-2014, 11:52
Whilst I'm doing some work under my floor a have the opportunity to install some data cabling to hard wire the wifi box to the Raspberry Pi and TVs etc. What cable should I use? I won't have this opportunity again once the new flooring is down!

John
26-01-2014, 11:58
Some people will say it does not matter
I used to use a 2pc approach with Jplay and Cat 7 was the best for sound between the 2pc you can get them quite cheap I tried CAT 5 and 6 but my preference was CAT 7 I think the connection is better

NRG
26-01-2014, 13:21
It shouldn't make any difference, however, CAT5e is typically un shielded and is not ready for 10GbE. If you are only able to do this once then go with the latest higher grade Cat6e or 7 that offers better noise immunity and supports 10GbE.

Jimbo
26-01-2014, 13:37
I have heard CAT7 compared to 6 in a very revealing system and must say it does make a difference.

mimoser
26-01-2014, 16:40
Get the latest standard certified implementation available. You will be grateful in say ten years from now.
On a personal basis I would never wire my household ever again. WLan cable is dirt cheap and throughput gets better every month.
For th sum you will have to invest in network infrastructure you can buy into the next five generations of wireless and still save money. Until then the copper installed now will be obsolete as a dead horse …
;-)
Michael

Stratmangler
26-01-2014, 19:20
WLan cable is dirt cheap and throughput gets better every month.
For th sum you will have to invest in network infrastructure you can buy into the next five generations of wireless and still save money

Coming on for 3 decades ago someone told me that cabling for communications equipment would be obsolete in a few short years times.
I'm still waiting :whistle:

MartinT
26-01-2014, 19:23
It's just starting now, Chris, with wi-fi taking precedence over cabling for many client machines at work. I have installed 58 wireless-n access points and counting.

Cat 5e is perfectly fine for homes.

Stratmangler
26-01-2014, 19:27
I'm still out there putting in wiring for the WAP units :eyebrows:
Agreed on the Cat5e too. That's all I have between floors, and it's quite happy running gigabit network.

John
26-01-2014, 20:36
for music have a try find out for yourself

Stratmangler
26-01-2014, 20:39
for music have a try find out for yourself

What makes you think I haven't?

NRG
26-01-2014, 20:43
If you're going to the trouble of ripping up floors then fit the better cable for the reasons I stated above. A home wired network still has value one of them is the ability to support PoE which may come in handy if the need arises. Wired data centres are not going away, discrete networks still rule even with the emergence of converged networks. WiFi make work in a small office situation but its shared bandwidth is an issue as you scale up.

Stratmangler
26-01-2014, 20:55
If you're going to the trouble of ripping up floors then fit the better cable for the reasons I stated above. A home wired network still has value one of them is the ability to support PoE which may come in handy if the need arises. Wired data centres are not going away, discrete networks still rule even with the emergence of converged networks. WiFi make work in a small office situation but its shared bandwidth is an issue as you scale up.

I agree with you.
I will add that unless you're going to go the full hog with Cat7 then it's a waste of time, and no more beneficial than Cat6.
The amount of common earth bonding required to bring a Cat7 installation up to snuff in itself make the exercise costly to say the least. Just chucking a Cat7 patch lead in between bits of gear does not make a Cat7 installation.

NRG
26-01-2014, 21:09
I agree with you.
I will add that unless you're going to go the full hog with Cat7 then it's a waste of time, and no more beneficial than Cat6.
The amount of common earth bonding required to bring a Cat7 installation up to snuff in itself make the exercise costly to say the least. Just chucking a Cat7 patch lead in between bits of gear does not make a Cat7 installation.

So true! ;)

mimoser
26-01-2014, 21:17
Yep, either do it right, or leave it be. As doing it right will not be cheap I do not recommend it for home installations as stated above.
YMMV
Michael

paul(555)
27-01-2014, 08:49
Thanks guys, some interesting, if conflicting, views. However, I'll aim as high as I can whilst the opportunity presents itself. Now where is the best place to buy cable, connectors and crimping tools?

Paul.

Stratmangler
27-01-2014, 09:02
Screwfix seem to be everywhere.

mimoser
27-01-2014, 09:07
Thanks guys, some interesting, if conflicting, views. However, I'll aim as high as I can whilst the opportunity presents itself. Now where is the best place to buy cable, connectors and crimping tools?

Paul.

do not forget a FLUKE meter to measure damping factors and other certifiable electrical properties needed for whatever CAT standard you try to achieve.
tbh self crimping is nothing I would recommend, the tools needed will easily cost more than sourcing the installation to an electrician you trust …
sorry
Michael

Stratmangler
27-01-2014, 15:45
do not forget a FLUKE meter to measure damping factors and other certifiable electrical properties needed for whatever CAT standard you try to achieve.
tbh self crimping is nothing I would recommend, the tools needed will easily cost more than sourcing the installation to an electrician you trust …
sorry
Michael

FLUKE? :rfl:

mimoser
27-01-2014, 16:16
http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/network-testing/CableIQ-Qualification-Tester?ls=cablenetworkCI
Though it might seem a pun, the company is the most posh multimeter and network testing company in the CEE region.
have a pint and a half’un on me …
:cool:
Michael

Stratmangler
27-01-2014, 16:33
I know what a FLUKE is - £3000 worth of tester ain't happening in this case :D

mimoser
27-01-2014, 19:24
that would be some really highend diy …
;-)
Michael

MartinT
28-01-2014, 06:59
I used to have a lovely all-singing Fluke when I was a service engineer. Giving that back was the worst thing about leaving that job.

Mark Grant
29-01-2014, 15:10
Whilst I'm doing some work under my floor a have the opportunity to install some data cabling to hard wire the wifi box to the Raspberry Pi and TVs etc. What cable should I use?

I won't have this opportunity again once the new flooring is down!

Plan ahead and put some ducting under the floor so you can pull more wires through later.

The easy and low cost way is to use 32mm or 40mm waste pipe from screwfix etc. ( electrical conduit is too small to pull any extra through)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/solvent-weld-waste-pipe-32mm-x-3m-white/61967 with smooth corners http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-92-5-87-5-bend-white-32mm-pack-of-5/67525

More choices : http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/waste-pipe-fittings/cat831524

paul(555)
29-01-2014, 16:56
Now why didn't I think of that? Note; rhetorical question, no need for all the very :obvious answers!