PDA

View Full Version : Jelco tonearm cable

worrasf
23-01-2014, 11:52
What is the consensus view on the SQ of this cable?
This is the one I have with my Jelco 750 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JELCO-TONEARM-CABLE-SA-750D-FOR-SME-LINN-ETC-90-DEGREE-/171011835458?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d1198642

I have to say I have no complaints and seem to remember reading somewhere it was well thought of at the price point.
As it's about the only item I have not replaced I thought I would ask the panel :)

If folk felt it was not up to much I'd be interested in recommendations that would gel with my Dynavector 20 X2 / Dynavector SUP-200 SUT

337alant
23-01-2014, 12:02
I use the same cable as the one you posted and its excellent I think, mine is a very good quality Mogami cable actually so I think it would be hard to better

Alan

Ammonite Audio
23-01-2014, 12:10
I use the same cable as the one you posted and its excellent I think, mine is a very good quality Mogami cable actually so I think it would be hard to better

Alan

I could not disagree more with that! I bought one of those with a Jelco SA-750D and was puzzled why the sound was so dull and uninspiring. Replacing it with a cable from Audio Origami that cost pretty much the same amount solved the problem.

Ali Tait
23-01-2014, 12:24
Agreed. I'm using one at the moment, but had a loan of a Yannis for a couple of weeks. Frankly I'd save up for a Yannis cable, it's so much better it's hard to believe the improvement IMHO.

worrasf
23-01-2014, 12:32
Agreed. Frankly I'd save up for a Yannis cable,

Who he? :scratch:

RobbieGong
23-01-2014, 12:48
Who he? :scratch:

Yannis Tome - Top bloke, awesome cables. Start here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?17071-Could-this-be-a-giant-killing-tonearm-cable
:)

worrasf
23-01-2014, 12:54
Yannis Tome - Top bloke, awesome cables. Start here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?17071-Could-this-be-a-giant-killing-tonearm-cable

Ah ha! many thanks.

Sent messages to J7 and Yannis

MCRU
23-01-2014, 13:04
What is the consensus view on the SQ of this cable?
This is the one I have with my Jelco 750 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JELCO-TONEARM-CABLE-SA-750D-FOR-SME-LINN-ETC-90-DEGREE-/171011835458?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d1198642

I have to say I have no complaints and seem to remember reading somewhere it was well thought of at the price point.
As it's about the only item I have not replaced I thought I would ask the panel :)

If folk felt it was not up to much I'd be interested in recommendations that would gel with my Dynavector 20 X2 / Dynavector SUP-200 SUT

hi despite what others say the cable you highlighted is very good, of course paying more gets you a better performance, don't be blinkered by the "AOS yannis fan club" as yes the cables are very good indeed but there are cables just as good or better IMHO, I am using one right now, and it's not even a brand I sell! Its made by Dominic at NWA and it's staying on my Techie for certain.

worrasf
23-01-2014, 13:10
hi despite what others say the cable you highlighted is very good, of course paying more gets you a better performance, don't be blinkered by the "AOS yannis fan club" as yes the cables are very good indeed but there are cables just as good or better IMHO, I am using one right now, and it's not even a brand I sell! Its made by Dominic at NWA and it's staying on my Techie for certain.

Many thanks for this balancing post - much appreciated. Just when you think you have got it cracked .... :doh:

Consensus and HiFi seem mutually exclusive :eyebrows:

RobbieGong
23-01-2014, 13:15

Hi Dave, I dont believe the 'fan club' will cause him to be blinkered. There is a fan club simply because his cables are very good indeed in mine and others experience. Certainly wouldnt knock other cables or say that Yannis's are the only good cables out there. We're just expressing Yannis as a recommendation based on being very pleased indeed with his. Obviously you get what you pay for and his are quality for sure. I guess it depends on how much the op wants to spend and how fussy he is about which rca's etc. Yannis offers a variety of cables, not just the 'exotic' and will have one to suit price points I'm sure. The fact he's a top bloke also helps. Like yourself, he's very helpful and offers a great service which just makes the experience even better ;)

worrasf
23-01-2014, 13:19
I gues it depends on how much the op wants to spend

The op is a simple country doctor working for the NHS so was rather hoping what with the Greek economy booming Yannis would be a gent and let him have one for a couple of drachma ;)

RobbieGong
23-01-2014, 13:21
The op is a simple country doctor working for the NHS so was rather hoping what with the Greek economy booming Yannis would be a gent and let him have one for a couple of drachma ;)

Lol !! Let him know ya budget and ask him what he is able to provide, he does go out of his way which I've experienced and I doubt you'll be dissapointed with what you get for your money from him.

Marco
23-01-2014, 14:15

Yo daftee, if there is an "AOS yannis fan club" here, then it is deserved and its existence earned, as Yannis produces some truly outstanding cables, at 'realistic' prices, and is a fantastic chap to deal with, to boot!

I'm not saying for one minute that Dom doesn't also fulfill those credentials, but here you are again signing the praises of one of his products without supplying any relevant information... :doh:

So let me ask you the most pertinent points of interest:

1) How much does Dom's tonearm able cost?
2) What is the construction of the cable and which type of plugs does it use?
3) Could we please see a picture of it?

Without that information to give to other members, who could be potential customers, I'm afraid your endorsing of his cables serves no real purpose, other than to celebrate your personal excitement! ;)

Marco.

MCRU
23-01-2014, 16:16
Exactly right chief, my personal excitement is the most important thing to me, it's what drives me, I cannot take a pic as I don't have a camera dafteee :ner:

It's got plugs on the end, its got wires in between, don't know the selling price as I swapped it for some plugs if I remember correctly, but think it sells for £700 although I could be wrong.

I can bring it to the bake off no problemo chief, Furutech carbon fibre RCA plugs on, there simply is no better IMO (after trying everything else as some have done) on this cable anyway they do the biz.

Back to the OP, I have 3 yannis cables if you want to try them, I can post them no problem, saves you shelling out wonga initially, they hardly get used now because only my Techie accepts them, the other
TT's I use have captive lads in which cannot be changed. :)

worrasf
23-01-2014, 16:41
Back to the OP, I have 3 yannis cables if you want to try them, I can post them no problem, saves you shelling out wonga initially, they hardly get used now because only my Techie accepts them, the other
TT's I use have captive lads in which cannot be changed. :)
PM sent

twotone
23-01-2014, 20:31
I bought the cable below from, I believe, Yannis trading under another name.

No complaints but I noticed the bass right away as soon as I fitted it, wasn't sure about the bass/sound at first but I'm quite happy now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221312289806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

jaym481
23-01-2014, 21:15
Consensus and HiFi seem mutually exclusive :eyebrows:

That's a point you may be able to get some consensus on.

MCRU
23-01-2014, 21:18
Yannis cable on the way dude, just at the right time for you (and me as its been sat there doing nothing for a while)

Hopefully I can get out of the end of my road tomorrow, we has a sudden deluge of snow this afternoon followed by freezing cold so an ice rink has formed outside!

worrasf
23-01-2014, 21:47
Yannis cable on the way dude, just at the right time for you (and me as its been sat there doing nothing for a while)

Hopefully I can get out of the end of my road tomorrow, we has a sudden deluge of snow this afternoon followed by freezing cold so an ice rink has formed outside!

Thanks M8 - yes sudden hail & snow over here about 4pm but then back to the bloody rain again

Andrei
23-01-2014, 22:03
I too may join the AYFC (AOC Yannis Fan Club). I understand the subscription is the price of a pair of interconnects. In the meantime has anyone tried Isonkinetic Silver Melody?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISOKINETIK-SILVER-MELODY-TWO-99-99-PURE-SILVER-TONEARM-CABLE-CARDAS-STRAIGHT-/171167734097?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item27da645951

Stratmangler
23-01-2014, 22:07
I too may join the AYFC (AOC Yannis Fan Club)

What is AOC?

Andrei
23-01-2014, 22:09
What is AOC?
AOC Original Cupcakes

CageyH
24-01-2014, 05:46
AOC - Appelatation Origine Contrôle
Like champagne.

MikeMusic
24-01-2014, 15:53
I too may join the AYFC (AOC Yannis Fan Club). I understand the subscription is the price of a pair of interconnects.
Beware. It is contagious

worrasf
25-01-2014, 15:58
Dave (MCRU) kindly sent me one of his "Yannis cables" to try (its the Gaia 423.5 phono-litz) with Eichman bullet phono plugs and a Furutech DIN.
I am liking this cable very much. There is more detail and clarity than the Jelco but (importantly) it doesn't change the "tone" of the music which is good because it's taken me ages to get that how I like it. Instruments sound more natural and imaging is tighter. There also seems to be less surface noise apparent (is this possible?).

Anyway, I'm keeping it as it really fits well with my system - just what the doctor ordered :cool:

Steve

Ali Tait
25-01-2014, 16:22
Aye, a nice cable.

RobbieGong
25-01-2014, 19:03
Dave (MCRU) kindly sent me one of his "Yannis cables" to try (its the Gaia 423.5 phono-litz) with Eichman bullet phono plugs and a Furutech DIN.
I am liking this cable very much. There is more detail and clarity than the Jelco but (importantly) it doesn't change the "tone" of the music which is good because it's taken me ages to get that how I like it. Instruments sound more natural and imaging is tighter. There also seems to be less surface noise apparent (is this possible?).

Anyway, I'm keeping it as it really fits well with my system - just what the doctor ordered :cool:

Steve

Yep ! Quality :)