PDA

View Full Version : New DAC

Ammonite Audio
22-01-2014, 18:39
I have a new DAC coming, primarily for headphone listening. Having spent a few hours listening to one today, I can confirm that it's rather good.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/DAC_Button_zpsfb701553.jpg

kenworthy100
22-01-2014, 18:42
Naim dac v1?

Ammonite Audio
22-01-2014, 19:55
Bingo!

Ammonite Audio
29-01-2014, 18:18
If anyone is wondering about the ominous silence on this thread, I'm waiting for the DAC to be built :)

pjdowns
29-01-2014, 19:03
Sounds interesting Hugo, you'll have to let us know what it's like once the DAC's arrived :)

Paul.

Ammonite Audio
30-01-2014, 18:55
Ooh! It's coming on Monday!

Ammonite Audio
03-02-2014, 09:35
It's arrived.

Straight out of the box, with the Naim USB software downloaded and installed on the PC, it sounds quite lovely. The immediate impression via headphones is of an organic, voluptuous, detailed, enveloping sound. Finally, through headphones, I can hear the (astonishing) drums in 'The End' from 'Abbey Road' portrayed with the snap, texture and almost touchable sense of reality that I hear when playing the same album through my main Lyngdorf/Quad57 system.

As a bonus, the Naim remote also controls playback in J River Media Center, which is something that I had not expected, and which is a great convenience. This is clearly a properly thought-out and developed product.

Anyway, for now, it will be left powered up to settle in. I'm pleased :)

Ammonite Audio
25-02-2014, 17:15
After three weeks I can confirm that the Naim DAC-V1 is an absolute peach, and I kind of 'get' the Naim thing about musicality. It does rather draw you into the music, while thankfully sounding very lucid and dynamic, without being at all harsh or wearing. Is it worth £1250? I'd say it is, without hesitation. Strip away VAT, carriage, dealer margins etc and I can't quite see how Naim can produce the DAC-V1 in the UK for the money, but I'm glad they do; and glad that they continue to develop such quality products and to employ people to make them in the UK. My old DAC is hopelessly outclassed by the DAC-V1 and will be going in the classifieds as soon as I can find its box.

All my listening has been via USB and AKG K-550 headphones (a true budget audiophile bargain).

Marco
25-02-2014, 19:02
Nice one, Hugo - glad you're enjoying it. Contrary to what some may think, Naim do make some good gear! ;)

Marco.