PDA

View Full Version : Scalford........who is going?

Lodgesound
18-01-2014, 16:32
Well it's nearly that time again - I will be exhibiting this year - anyone else from here visiting or doing same?

chelsea
18-01-2014, 17:05
yes.
Will be in one of the big rooms on the first floor.

Lodgesound
18-01-2014, 17:09
Me too...syndicate 1....yourself?

chelsea
18-01-2014, 17:27
Somersby.
Must try and make it to your room this year.

littlest hobo
18-01-2014, 17:41
What date is it this year? I've never been to the show but I have been to the Hall previously.

Audio Al
18-01-2014, 19:17
I have a room

Room 36 ground floor and will be staying Saturday night as well ;)

Macca
18-01-2014, 19:34
I have a room

Room 36 ground floor and will be staying Saturday night as well ;)
U
What will you be exhibiting, Al? I guess you are spoilt for choice. Or will you be hiring an artic and be bringing the lot?

Lee Henley
18-01-2014, 19:38
I'll be going along but only as a visitor

take5
18-01-2014, 21:45
Im there as an exhibitor.
Bringing 3 turntables: Garrard 401, Oracle Delphi and Thorens 124.
Room 74.

Audio Al
18-01-2014, 22:00
U
What will you be exhibiting, Al? I guess you are spoilt for choice. Or will you be hiring an artic and be bringing the lot?

Room 36 is a bedroom , so no room for a artic load :D

May try and put together a system that includes 8 track , R2R , cassette , and my Technics

maybe my Croft pre / Quad 11 and 57s or 63s

Maybe not :lol:

jandl100
19-01-2014, 08:49
I exhibited for the 1st 3 years of the show, but I'm happy to let others do the hard work now. :eyebrows:

Nah - seriously, it's a HUGE amount of fun exhibiting. :thumbsup:

If any exhibitors want to borrow anything from my kit list below for the day (with the notable exception of my speakers!), feel free to ask. :)

IHP
19-01-2014, 12:10
I'll be visiting. Still remember the AoS Cheap as Chips system, lord that sounded too good !

SPS
19-01-2014, 12:23
Im there again, got a big room on the ground floor , so will be taking my larger open baffle set up.
Had my daughter with me last year she was a good help, but on my ownsome this time..

YNWaN
19-01-2014, 12:51
I'll be there, with assorted friends :).

hoopsontoast
21-01-2014, 10:29
I am exhibiting once again, who know what will be shown....

At the moment it will be the trusty S9000ES, Decware Zen and the Goodmans Axiom 201s. Should be a nice little system for £500 (and a little bit).
Not sure if I will take the Croft pre that arrived today from Martin, I wont be taking the Gyro so wont need the phono input.

Beobloke
21-01-2014, 12:01
I'll be there as a visitor this year for the first time and am looking forward to finally hearing some other systems!

Marco
21-01-2014, 12:44
I'll possibly be going as a visitor, but have to admit that, having attended the event since its inception, both as an exhibitor and a visitor, its appeal is starting to wane.

The biggest attraction for me (by far) is the stalls selling new vinyl and the opportunity to have a chinwag with some daftees from AoS...! :D

Marco.

YNWaN
21-01-2014, 13:21
Oh, I don't know. I've been to all of them too and I'm still looking forward to it - we make a bit of a boys weekend of it and have a good laugh.

Marco
21-01-2014, 14:24
Indeed, but I can do that any weekend without going down to Scalford! ;)

For a change, why not try it one year as an exhibitor?

Marco.

take5
21-01-2014, 15:04

Marco.

Go on, let yourself be excited.:)

As a HiFi and music lover, whats not to like about it.

YNWaN
21-01-2014, 15:14

For a change, why not try it one year as an exhibitor?

Marco.

It doesn't appeal - it would be a real ball-ache to get my system there and back (for a start, I would have to hire a van). Friends have shown in the past and I've helped them. Anyway, I want to go round the show and not sit in a hotel room listening to my own system - and I don't really care what others think of it.

chelsea
21-01-2014, 15:15
Is your deck being used there mark?

Marco
21-01-2014, 15:31
I hear ya, Mark. How about then, as Stu is intimating, bring your T/T down and lend it to another exhibitor (friend) perhaps? I'm sure that lots of people would love to hear your turntable, as it is rather unique! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
21-01-2014, 17:05
Could do - would have to make a shipping case for it as it's very heavy (I could do that). However, I don't think any of my close friends are exhibiting this year. In addition, it's always difficult for front ends at shows, I heard the Kronos deck at last years show but the system didn't do it any justice at all (for example).

Marco
21-01-2014, 17:29
Could do - would have to make a shipping case for it as it's very heavy (I could do that).

Yes, that's right... The design incorporates a support table, if memory serves me correctly?

However, I don't think any of my close friends are exhibiting this year. In addition, it's always difficult for front ends at shows, I heard the Kronos deck at last years show but the system didn't do it any justice at all (for example).

Fair enough. However, it's all just a bit of fun.

I don't think anyone exhibiting at Scalford sees it as taking part in a serious 'audio demonstration', so kit performs as it performs. I certainly wouldn't form any conclusive opinions on anything that I heard there, but it's still good to get the opportunity to hear it :)

Marco.

YNWaN
21-01-2014, 19:54
Yeah, the stand is inherently part of it. The suspension can be locked down for transport but it's still an awkward to move and delicate thing.

To be honest I'm torn about the whole idea.

Marco
21-01-2014, 20:15
Well, if it helps, I'd be willing to pop up to your place and we can transport it (and you) to Scalford in my Merc estate, which has a huge space at the rear, once all the seats are put fully down flat. No van required - and you'd get there quickly and in comfort, with your T/T fully protected.

All you'd need to do is construct a shipping case! It's a genuine offer, btw :)

Marco.

YNWaN
22-01-2014, 10:38
Thanks Marco, will bear tthat in mind, much appreciated.

Marco
22-01-2014, 10:42
No worries, dude. Just let me know. I think that a lot of people would love to hear it :)

Marco.

YNWaN
22-01-2014, 16:55
Would also have to take my phonostage too I think - but I have boxes for that :).

Marco
22-01-2014, 17:01
Indeed, and that would be another item of interest to more than a few people... Anyway, Mark, I'm here if you want to do it. Feel free to PM me to discuss things :cool:

Marco.

f1eng
23-02-2014, 17:56
I'll be there. It is one of my favourite weekends of the year. I have nothing that I can easily move to exhibit but like loads of others I'd, selfishly, rather listen to everybody else's anyway...
I'd love to see and hear your turntable BTW Mark, hint, hint.
Mind you my turntable has an integral table too and moving it would be a major operation so I understand fully if you don't bring it.
I am always surprised but delighted with the huge variation of sound on display illustrating how broad a range of taste enthusiasts have.

YNWaN
23-02-2014, 18:06
Well, my attendance at this years show is starting to look a little sketchy, so I may not go at all :(.

Anyway, have started work (restarted) on my decks replacement as I have had some promising suspension ideas (will start full size modelling on Monday). This time there will not be an integrated stand - there may well be a dedicated one but it won't be bolted into the blooming structure!

Marco
23-02-2014, 18:58
Well, my attendance at this years show is starting to look a little sketchy, so I may not go at all :(.

I'll most likely be going to Scalford (95% sure), so if you want me to swing by Sheffield, on the way over there, (and relax and enjoy the journey), just say - it's not a problem! :)

Marco.

SPS
23-02-2014, 19:32
Make sure you dont miss my room this year Marco,

I have a new amp and re done my speakers... hopefully they will work ok on the day

YNWaN
23-02-2014, 19:35
I'll most likely be going to Scalford (95% sure), so if you want me to swing by Sheffield, on the way over there, (and relax and enjoy the journey), just say - it's not a problem! :)

Marco.

Thanks Marco, that's very kind of you. To be honest, getting there isn't so much of an issue but a friend, a notorious hedonist, has his birthday on Saturday and I may just not be in a fit state to go on Sunday - will have to see!

Marco
23-02-2014, 20:05
Lol - I getcha.... :eyebrows:

Anyway, you can let me know.

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2014, 11:32
I know this is kind of 'last minute', but a thought has just popped into my head...

If anyone that I know and trust, who is exhibiting at Scalford, would like to borrow my modded Techy to use, in order to front their system, or to provide a vinyl source for a currently digital only system, then let me know, and I will bring it with me.

This will allow anyone who's curious about how a 'maxed out' Technics sounds to hear it in a familar system (their own which they're exhibiting), and also give others at the show the chance to hear one.

The only condition attached to this, apart from the fact that you must take great care of it whilst it's in your possession (or else face losing one of your legs ;)), is that you must provide your own cartridge and/or detachable headshell, which will fit onto my Ortofon arm, as I'm not letting anyone loose with my SPU Royal, although I may bring it with me and fit it to the T/T when I'm present in the room.

If no-one interested has a spare good quality detachable headshell, then I can bring one along to use.

Furthermore, if anyone interested in hearing the Techy doesn't have a phono stage, I would be willing to bring my Croft preamp along (with its built-in valve MM phono stage) and/or Paul Hynes MC head amp, should your existing phono stage be MM only.

Anyway, it's just a thought, so if anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll be sure to arrive at Scalford on Sunday morning, as soon as the doors open, in order to connect everything up to the system in question, ASAP! :cool:

Marco.

Audio Al
27-02-2014, 11:49
If you want to put it up against my Techy , The fight is on :argument::punch:

Marco
27-02-2014, 11:53
Arf! :D Which room are you in, daftee, and what's the system?

Let's also see if anyone else is interested :)

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2014, 11:55
Incidentally, I'd also be willing to do the same with my DAC - if anyone's interested in hearing how digital audio sounded in the days when it was done right!! :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Audio Al
27-02-2014, 11:57
Arf! :D Which room are you in, daftee, and what's the system?

Let's also see if anyone else is interested :)

Marco.

Esl57's, Esl63's, Quad11's, Croft 25 basic ,You know who turbo , AP4 , My highly modded techy , Shelter 5000, etc etc

Oh what fun :D

Room 36 ground floor ;)

Marco
27-02-2014, 12:07
Aye, it'll be fun if it all works and nothing blows up! :lol:

Anyway, remind me again of what your modded Techy consists of? :)

I know you have an MN bearing and platter, but forget what PSU and tonearm you're using. If it's not notably much different from mine, then it might make more sense to put my T/T into another system, owned by someone who's not heard a 'maxed out' Techy before, or perhaps would like to compare it to a belt-drive T/T.

Marco.

take5
27-02-2014, 12:08
Im going, with my system.

Oracle Delphi with Fidelity Research 64fx and FR 702 cartridge.
Audio Innovations Phono and SUT, into BAT VK60 valve power amp, via Django Pre.
Snell J speakers.

It sounds really nice, to my ears anyway.

If I can fit them into my car, also a Garrard 401 with 12" PU7, and a Thorens 124 with SME 3012.

Please come along to visit me in room 74.

Marco
27-02-2014, 12:10
Nice one, Brian. Sounds interesting...! Not heard an FR cartridge before. I'll definitely pop along for a listen :cool:

Marco.

SPS
27-02-2014, 12:13
I will only be bring cd's this year Marco.. Your welcome to book a hour on my system, you will need a step up / phono etc and records.. ..

You will have to be the DJ though..

take5
27-02-2014, 12:13
Marco, please introduce yourself.

Too many folks come in, dont say a word then walk out again. It will be nice to meet.

Marco
27-02-2014, 12:16
I will only be bring cd's this year Marco.. Your welcome to book a hour on my system, you will need a step up / phono etc and records.. ..

You will have to be the DJ though..

Noted, Steve. I may well take you up on that! Which room are you in and what's the rest of the system going to be? Would you like to hear my DAC? :)

Oh, and does the preamp you're going to be using have a phono stage of any description?

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2014, 12:17
Marco, please introduce yourself

Will do! :)

Marco.

take5
27-02-2014, 12:18
Marco, yes the cartridge is an interesting one. Part of the "7" series from the 80s.
The cartridge is integral to the headshell. It weighs a ton and needs a special heavy counterweight.
Sounds great!!

Marco
27-02-2014, 12:20
I bet it does, and is liable to be just my sort of thing! :)

Marco.

SPS
27-02-2014, 13:08
I'm in The Cottesmore on the ground floor, I've got a newer set up but still the usual mix of horns and open baffles and a new px25 amp 5 watt amp.

Best to say a time and you can have an hour. I've heard your dac... you are welcome to bring it..

The pre will be needed for the record player, I'm taking some one down with me so I'm limited for space in the car.

Marco
27-02-2014, 13:24
I'm in The Cottesmore on the ground floor, I've got a newer set up but still the usual mix of horns and open baffles and a new px25 amp 5 watt amp.

Best to say a time and you can have an hour. I've heard your dac... you are welcome to bring it..

The pre will be needed for the record player, I'm taking some one down with me so I'm limited for space in the car.

No worries... The DAC has been lightly tweaked (rather successfully) since you last heard it. Does your CDP or transport have a coaxial digital output?

Okies, will you be in the room for 10am on Sunday? If so, I'll bring my gear along then, while it's still reasonably quiet :)

Marco.

John
27-02-2014, 14:27
I be visiting the show

Bazil
27-02-2014, 15:02
Esl57's, Esl63's, Quad11's, Croft 25 basic ,You know who turbo , AP4 , My highly modded techy , Shelter 5000, etc etc

That'll do I'm giving you a lift with them :wheniwasaboy:

Audio Al
27-02-2014, 15:10
That'll do I'm giving you a lift with them :wheniwasaboy:

Nice one :)

Marco
27-02-2014, 15:36
I be visiting the show

Nice one, mate. Take your mobile with you and give me a ring when you're there and we'll meet up in the bar or something :cool:

I'll put my new mobile number in the mod area, and you can take a note of it.

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2014, 15:39
Nice one :)

If I'm around at the time, I'll help out too!

Marco.

Audio Al
27-02-2014, 16:58
If I'm around at the time, I'll help out too!

Marco.

I will be arriving Saturday Daftee :)

Lodgesound
27-02-2014, 17:21
We are in syndicate 1 this year with mostly analogue tape recorders.......

Would be good to see you Saturday Al and on Sunday Marco.....

SPS
27-02-2014, 19:30
No worries... The DAC has been lightly tweaked (rather successfully) since you last heard it. Does your CDP or transport have a coaxial digital output?

Okies, will you be in the room for 10am on Sunday? If so, I'll bring my gear along then, while it's still reasonably quiet :)

Marco.
Great.. See you then.. Is Ian with you?

twickers
27-02-2014, 19:40
I'll be visiting on the Sunday. Will pop in and say hello. If anyone needs a hand carrying anything let me know!

Marco
27-02-2014, 22:41
Great.. See you then.. Is Ian with you?

Not this time, dude, but Del will be. I'll probably also have John (one of the mods here) with me :)

Look forward to adulterating your system with some Techy magic!! :D

Incidentally, why not bring your SPU Synergy along, and we can compare it to my Royal? It'd be a very quick and direct swap!

Marco.

Marco
27-02-2014, 22:43
We are in syndicate 1 this year with mostly analogue tape recorders.......

Would be good to see you Saturday Al and on Sunday Marco.....

Nice one, Stewart. I'm sure we'll bump into each other at some point! :)

Marco.

freefallrob
28-02-2014, 15:51
We'll be there, here's our room guide, hopefully we can make it work in the room....

https://18ptca.dm2303.livefilestore.com/y2pTKb-g9fwPrLHWfUl-PTGQJeXHOFyLf3wVyMiyyRv3cKXYFoe3BQwMduD5XBv7UV0NyI 3gtnzQB3NS4X8zVfOgqY-Xoq589SPjvxTP6LFlog/scalford2014jpeg.jpg?psid=1

Audio Al
28-02-2014, 16:10
We'll be there, here's our room guide, hopefully we can make it work in the room....

https://18ptca.dm2303.livefilestore.com/y2pTKb-g9fwPrLHWfUl-PTGQJeXHOFyLf3wVyMiyyRv3cKXYFoe3BQwMduD5XBv7UV0NyI 3gtnzQB3NS4X8zVfOgqY-Xoq589SPjvxTP6LFlog/scalford2014jpeg.jpg?psid=1

JBL L1's , so last year

:lol:

Looking forward to hearing your systems this year :eyebrows: don't let me down ;)

Marco
28-02-2014, 16:36
Lovin' it, Rob!! :D

Marco.

take5
28-02-2014, 17:25
Oh no, Human League on Vinyl AND Cd.............and back to back for comparisons. Nightmare !!

See you tomorrow Rob.

SPS
28-02-2014, 23:34
Not this time, dude, but Del will be. I'll probably also have John (one of the mods here) with me :)

Look forward to adulterating your system with some Techy magic!! :D

Incidentally, why not bring your SPU Synergy along, and we can compare it to my Royal? It'd be a very quick and direct swap!

Marco.
Found the box Marco, so i will bring it...
Cheers..

John
01-03-2014, 04:43
What room are you in Steve

SPS
01-03-2014, 08:53
The Cottesmore on the ground floor John, be good to see you..

.....its on the corner of the back passage!

Marco
01-03-2014, 09:00
Found the box Marco, so i will bring it...
Cheers..

Steve, did you get my PM? If not, check your in-box.

Marco.

sq225917
01-03-2014, 15:53
IO shall see you gents tomorrow. If you see Guy tonight tell him I'll bring the Paradise for him to have a play with.

Lee Henley
01-03-2014, 20:08
I shall be going along so hopefully pop into few people along the way!

stevied
01-03-2014, 21:10
See you there lads:)

Marco
03-03-2014, 12:22
Anyone going to post their thoughts of what they heard?

I'll be doing that later when I get time. Just like to say that it was nice meeting John, Vic, Steve (SPS), Gromit (Richard), Jerry (jandl100), Audio Al, Freefallrob, Nick (lurcher), Hugo, Brian (your FR carridge is superb!), Steve Toy, Rob Holt, Dean (SCIDB), and everyone else I met yesterday :)

A short write-up to follow... One thing is for sure, Snell speakers rock!! :fingers:

Marco.

Audio Al
03-03-2014, 12:42
I will report later

Today is recovery day

Wow what a weekend

In the bar Saturday until 1.30am :cool:

Load and unload my van x 2 with helpers :eek:

I feel like a steamroller has run me over :D

Rest and recuperation today ;)

My house now looks like a bomb has gone off :D everything was just dumped wherever a space was seen , The big sort out starts tomorrow

jandl100
03-03-2014, 12:59
I had a great time - not exhibiting but I set up a "charity sale corner" in Phil The Count's room with his Snell A speakers.

Happily the sale was a great success, with some monies still trickling in it looks like I will make £400 or so for the Cancer Research UK charity - £300 already donated to the charity with more expected. :)

As for the Show itself, I really enjoyed it.
Good to meet up with lots of folks and to share some music time with Marco - The Buggles and Shostakovich. :D

I enjoyed a lot of rooms, but here are some of my faves ...

- Richard Gromit's mighty mite Q Acoustics speakers driven by the iron fist in a velvet glove Sony 770ES amp
- Mikhael's DIY build speakers, just superbly open, natural and musically right. Fantastic really. He could go commercial with them, imo.
- stacked Quads - working surprisingly well in a small room
- Jack's Mulidine small floorstanders with amazingly large, quality bass performance
- and the rooms with AN-J speakers, always musically enjoyable
- RJS's horns
- Darren / Belloire's ART Skibo (?) speakers, with AI valves
- the Dali Skyline 2000 system
- Ian alphatoner's gorgeous Accuphase electronics and Pioneer speakers
- Sunbeamgls's Yello Touch virtual DVD concert on permanent repeat. A great idea. Fab.
- lots of very happy visitors in Phil The Count's Snell A room, including me

.... and loads more. Really good! :)

take5
03-03-2014, 13:28
Marco, It was nice to meet you yesterday for the first time. Also Alan/Audio Al.

Yes, the cartridge received much attention and was very well received. Im very pleased to own it.

A really great weekend, which has left me knackered and broken. My system is lying in boxes in the hall and I cant face it today.

I went down on the Saturday, which gives a very relaxed system set up. Followed by meeting some mates for a few beers and listen to music. Whats not to like.
Plan was to get to bed about midnight, but that ended up being 2 o'clock in the morning. Heard some great music on great systems though so well worth the effort. Up at 7.30 to get organised. Hard work this hobby.

I was pretty much in my room as an exhibitor all day , which was great in some ways , because I like the chat, banter etc. But you do miss out on seeing/hearing other systems.

I did hear Als Quads, and this was a first for me. I really liked the sounds produced. I went up real close to see where the sound was coming from. Answer- everywhere. Fascinating. I then heard another pair and liked them too. Yet another itch to scratch sometime.

I do like a bit of interaction with folks in my room, and this year was good for that. Very enjoyable.
My system seemed to be well received, which is always pleasing. My Snell speakers in particular provoking much discussion.

RobHolt
03-03-2014, 15:29

I'll be doing that later when I get time. Just like to say that it was nice meeting John, Vic, Steve (SPS), Gromit (Richard), Jerry (jandl100), Audio Al, Freefallrob, Nick (lurcher), Hugo, Brian (your FR carridge is superb!), Steve Toy, Rob Holt, Dean (SCIDB), and everyone else I met yesterday :)

A short write-up to follow... One thing is for sure, Snell speakers rock!! :fingers:

Marco.

Nice to see you yesterday Marco, and for having a good listen and chat.

freefallrob
03-03-2014, 16:38

Marco.

Yeah good to see you Marco and have a good chat, thanks for popping in our room:).

Beobloke
03-03-2014, 17:16
My comments snipped from the thread on the Wam:

So, my first Scalford as a visitor and I have to say, I really enjoyed it, as did Mrs. B, apart from discovering the Cure’s “Mixed Up” which she had not heard before, and was most distressed by! Judging by the photos I STILL didn’t make it to all rooms but I really enjoyed nearly all that I did hear. However, the standout rooms for me were as follows:

Valvebloke – anyone who still harbours the ridiculous notion that Yamaha NS-1000s are all harsh and shouty needed to be forcibly sat in here until they realised the error of their ways, as they sounded fabulous on the end of the Quads. I was sad not to hear the JR150s but every time I came back, I couldn’t get into the room!

Audio Al – LOVED those RAM 400s and also the number of people who walked over to them, peered at them and said “Oh, wait a minute – they’re not KEF105s”. Also, how can you fail to love a chap who lends out a "spare" pair of speakers to a fellow distributor in distress, with the speakers in question being Quad ESL63s – top man!

Sligolad – Talking of Quad ESL63s, they sounded fabulous in this room. Expansive, detailed and punchy. I’ve often felt that the ESL63s seem to be viewed as something of a poor relation compared to both their older and newer brothers, but the more I hear them, the more I like them.

Tenson – How can you not love an old receiver with blue lights?! Even better, Simon’s restored AR4s sounded sweet, punchy and crisp – great stuff.

AdamK – Naim and Neat is a combo that just gels and this one was set up beautifully.

Sunbeamgls – Fine sounding setup and I loved the Yello concert – a very novel idea.

Freefallrob/Radical DNA/Jumpinatshadows: A cheery and fun room with some great equipment playing and some even better music blasting through it. Loved that big Yamaha amp, too!

But the highly coveted ‘Beobloke room of the show’ award goes to…………..

Hoopsontoast
Those Goodmans Axioms were absolutely stunning. They sounded big, effortless, detailed, punchy and lithe all at once, with just the right amount of ribbon tweeter reinforcement. I could have sat and listened all day, frankly, and I understand why Rob considers them to be possible keepers.

Marco
03-03-2014, 17:24
Forgot to say, Adam, good to see you and your good lady again, too! :)

Marco.

Lee Henley
03-03-2014, 17:47
A very enjoyable day out, a big thums up to all that exhibited. It was also nice to meet up with a few people off here and put a face to a few names.

KC Jones
03-03-2014, 17:54
My 4th visit to Scalford, I think but have never posted my experiences and favourites before, probably as I like most of what I hear. So here goes. Off the top of my head;

Have to say really enjoyed the sound in room 74 (take5 ) Those Snell J’s sound great I have to admit.
I know a lot of people raved about them but they were right. They are great sounding!

Also enjoyed the geezer upstairs with the similar speakers in room 79 (Setting Son etc). To my ears the Audio Note J’s sounded great like the Snell’s, but out of the two, I would pick the Snell’s, simply because they are a lot cheaper.

SCIDB’s room was swinging as ever , Snells again I believe.
Always enjoyed Freefall rob’s / Radicall’s room, the ‘’fun room’’ . This sounds most like my system, so probably that’s why.

Spent quite some time in The Rutland room (JVC) There was only me in there for a song or two, so sat centre stage, great open sound, some handsome looking gear too, which they swapped about so I could hear the difference between 2 of the pre-amps, not sure what all of it was though. Decent blokes, great service, great sound.

The ‘Gun room’ (RJC Audio, Simon’s speakers) was excellent! By far the best looking gear. Sounded splendid too, spent most time in this room, the sound seemed to improve on each of my 3 visits.
Shall be getting my router out this Spring and go make myself some of those horns.

Those Pluto speakers were very impressive too. Jerry i think (JANDL) played us some classic number. I liked it, it conjured up images of the Russian army marching on the Crimea, all from those small Pluto’s, splendid.

Each room offered a different perspective and approach to sound and setup., enjoyed it all. Top day out. My fave? ...hmmm.. Take 5, as it was the most realistic setup for any average living room.
Or maybe the gear in the Gun room...

Beobloke
03-03-2014, 20:58
Forgot to say, Adam, good to see you and your good lady again, too! :)

Marco.

Likewise! Would have been good to chat longer - maybe next time?

hoopsontoast
03-03-2014, 21:01
Wow thanks Adam, high praise indeed!

Nice to catch up again Marco, sorry the S9000ES was not playing when you came in!

take5
03-03-2014, 21:12
Have to say really enjoyed the sound in room 74 (take5 ) Those Snell J’s sound great I have to admit.
I know a lot of people raved about them but they were right. They are great sounding!

My fave? ...hmmm.. Take 5, as it was the most realistic setup for any average living room.
Or maybe the gear in the Gun room...

Kevin thanks. Obviously a man with good taste.:)

Interestingly, the Snells were the cheapest part of my system and yet it is they that received the most attention on the day and today in reviews. I suppose as the the last element in the line up of a system it is they that the listener thinks of as being the "sound". Interesting.

twickers
03-03-2014, 22:24
Really enjoyed Scalford. Some great systems on show including:

Non-Smoking mans Huge 5-way DIY horn speakers. A huge sound with delicacy.

An orgy of wood in The Gun Room with some fabulous looking and sounding Garrard 301's and Ucello Horns.

Really liked the sound of the Art Skibo loudspeakers with Innovations s500 valve amp in Belloire's room.

SCIDB had the sound of the day for me. The room i spent the most time in. Border Patrol and Audio Innovations amps with Snell J's. Plenty of toe tapping going on from everybody and a great blues track by Albert king? ( not sure) had us all smiling to the lyrics and his answering guitar phrases.

Lodgesound's reel to reel sounded great through the BBC Rogers, and i managed to just about fit in the room with the stacked Quads from Paul55. Great stuff.

Russ Abbott's system was working it's way through a classical recording when i came into the room. Strings sounded refined, cracking sense of scale.

Lots of other rooms visited and hats of to everyone who exhibited.

SPS
04-03-2014, 08:02
Well we had a good day, i would guess diy gear is not what most come to listen too, but still we had quite a few visitors,
What i was pleased about was that everthing worked on the day.
Scott came with me so we both got a chance for a quick walk around, but i still only made it to a few rooms, all sounded very good.

YNWaN
04-03-2014, 09:42
As always, I enjoyed the show. Surprised I didn't see you at all Marco, rather assumed you didn't go (got there at 10:30 and left about 4:30). There were only two rooms I didn't go in to and, as usual, there was quite an eclectic range of gear on demo. This year I have to say I was rather disappointed by the overall sound quality. The best room, by some margin for me, was the one with active Rogers and the reel to reel tape decks. This room exhibited a level of focus, coherence and easy transparency that evaded the majority of others. Of the other rooms, I was very keen to hear the stacked Quads but was very disappointed with the result - very truncated at the frequency extremes and the stereo image only seemed to exist in the narrow gap between them - I assume some sort of connection issue was the cause because they sounded very poor (one set out of phase to the other or similar). The other room that stood out for me in a positive way was the one with the green horns, fed by a Pure Sound integrated and STST direct drive turntable. If I was looking at 5K turntables (rather than building one) this is the direction I would be looking in. The Vida phonostage also sounded very promising.

chris@panteg
04-03-2014, 10:04
Kevin thanks. Obviously a man with good taste.:)

Interestingly, the Snells were the cheapest part of my system and yet it is they that received the most attention on the day and today in reviews. I suppose as the the last element in the line up of a system it is they that the listener thinks of as being the "sound". Interesting.

What was the rest of your system Brian ? Sorry I didn't attend .

take5
04-03-2014, 10:11
What was the rest of your system Brian ? Sorry I didn't attend .

Chris, it was:

Oracle Delphi Mk2, Fidelity Research 64fx, Fidelity Research MC702 (Marco offered £50, Im holding out for £75), Audio Innovations Phono and SUT, Django passive pre, Bat VK60 power amp.

chris@panteg
04-03-2014, 10:22
Chris, it was:

Oracle Delphi Mk2, Fidelity Research 64fx, Fidelity Research MC702 (Marco offered £50, Im holding out for £75), Audio Innovations Phono and SUT, Django passive pre, Bat VK60 power amp.

Nice ,is that a series 1000 sut and P2 phono by any chance ?

chris@panteg
04-03-2014, 10:30
In my opinion having used Snell type J's for 15 years ,they are a forgiving speaker but also pretty honest ! Put a shite system through them and that's what you'll get ! They do seem to sing with a good valve amp though , my wife thought they were ugly , I didn't .

take5
04-03-2014, 10:39
Nice ,is that a series 1000 sut and P2 phono by any chance ?

Chris, no its down the pecking order from that Im afraid. Its the basic P1 and the 800 series.

They are great little things, given their value, but in fact they are probably the weak link now in my system and Im looking for something else.
A few Wam mates brought some phonos round to my room on the Saturday night and amidst much beer fueled hilarity, showed me just exactly where the AI stuff was in the grand scheme of things. But I used them on the Sunday and the system was well received, so not too bad.

chris@panteg
04-03-2014, 11:01
Chris, no its down the pecking order from that Im afraid. Its the basic P1 and the 800 series.

They are great little things, given their value, but in fact they are probably the weak link now in my system and Im looking for something else.
A few Wam mates brought some phonos round to my room on the Saturday night and amidst much beer fueled hilarity, showed me just exactly where the AI stuff was in the grand scheme of things. But I used them on the Sunday and the system was well received, so not too bad.

Ahh I used to have an 800 SUT ,the 1000 is a good step up ! I had one of those as well ,currently I have Guy's Puresound T10 excellent .

You have an excellent front end in the Oracle , nice system .

SCIDB
04-03-2014, 19:58

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Good to meet you and glad you enjoyed the system. The Snells seem to work well at Scalford.

pure sound
04-03-2014, 21:09
IO shall see you gents tomorrow. If you see Guy tonight tell him I'll bring the Paradise for him to have a play with.

You should have said! I'd have liked a listen to that even if at the end of the day. Another time perhaps.

SCIDB
05-03-2014, 19:33
Really enjoyed Scalford. Some great systems on show including:

SCIDB had the sound of the day for me. The room i spent the most time in. Border Patrol and Audio Innovations amps with Snell J's. Plenty of toe tapping going on from everybody and a great blues track by Albert king? ( not sure) had us all smiling to the lyrics and his answering guitar phrases.

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed the show and thanks for the compliment.

The album is Albert Collins - Ice Pickin'. Albert was a mighty fine blues player who first cut records in the 1950s. He was known as the "The Master of the Telecaster" or "The Iceman". He stuck at it and gained in popularity. He would have been bigger but was struck down with cancer and died in 1993.

Ice Pickin' is his best album and it is from 1978,

The tracks I played was;

Conversation with Collins

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZMS3SYKaL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Pickin-Albert-Collins/dp/B0000009XI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1394046796&sr=1-1&keywords=albert+collins

http://open.spotify.com/album/5iFF3KWzukkaBLA6bDGoGw

SCIDB

pure sound
06-03-2014, 13:45
Well we had a good day, i would guess diy gear is not what most come to listen too, but still we had quite a few visitors,
What i was pleased about was that everthing worked on the day.
Scott came with me so we both got a chance for a quick walk around, but i still only made it to a few rooms, all sounded very good.

The DIY stuff is one of the more interesting aspects. That and the combinations people put together.
That's what separates it from often tedious commercial shows.

YNWaN
06-03-2014, 13:55
Yep, the DIY stuff is one of the main reasons I go - Guy, have ordered your stylus balance.

pure sound
06-03-2014, 16:08
Yep, the DIY stuff is one of the main reasons I go - Guy, have ordered your stylus balance.

Many thanks. PM me your payment details.

Lodgesound
07-03-2014, 21:31
As always, I enjoyed the show. Surprised I didn't see you at all Marco, rather assumed you didn't go (got there at 10:30 and left about 4:30). There were only two rooms I didn't go in to and, as usual, there was quite an eclectic range of gear on demo. This year I have to say I was rather disappointed by the overall sound quality. The best room, by some margin for me, was the one with active Rogers and the reel to reel tape decks. This room exhibited a level of focus, coherence and easy transparency that evaded the majority of others. Of the other rooms, I was very keen to hear the stacked Quads but was very disappointed with the result - very truncated at the frequency extremes and the stereo image only seemed to exist in the narrow gap between them - I assume some sort of connection issue was the cause because they sounded very poor (one set out of phase to the other or similar). The other room that stood out for me in a positive way was the one with the green horns, fed by a Pure Sound integrated and STST direct drive turntable. If I was looking at 5K turntables (rather than building one) this is the direction I would be looking in. The Vida phonostage also sounded very promising.

Many thanks for your kind comments - we thoroughly enjoyed exhibiting and meeting so many enthusiastic and like - minded people...

purite audio
08-03-2014, 09:48
Stewart Hi, I too very much enjoyed your room,sound quality and the gorgeous Nagra gear , I would very much like to know more about reel to reel .
Keith.

hifinutt
13-03-2014, 02:09
it was a wonderful show , electrostatics there in abundance and very enjoyable too
great to catch up with so many folks

Floyddroid
14-03-2014, 23:13
No good me going, the wam posse would linch me.

chelsea
14-03-2014, 23:26
it was a wonderful show , electrostatics there in abundance and very enjoyable too
great to catch up with so many folks

Yes,i'd say without doubt the best one.
Very varied stuff there this year.