PDA

View Full Version : Problems refilling an Iroda gas soldering iron.

twelvebears
13-06-2009, 13:17
Chaps I just wonder if any of you might be able to offer some assistance.

I've always preferred gas powered soldering irons because they heat up faster and are much more powerful and flexible (mini blowtorch, heat gun etc).

I've just bought an Iroda 120 and for some reason, I can't seem to get more that a fraction of the fuel I should be able to into the see-through tank. Probably no more than a 1/3 at best.

I've tried refueling with brand new Maplin AND Ronson butane gas canisters with the same result, so it can't be for a lack of pressure in the can.

Any suggestions?

alb
13-06-2009, 17:33
I refilled mine this morning.
Best done with no adapter and the can nozzle pointing downwards, but cant think of any reason why it shouldn't work. Unless you have a dodgy valve on the iron itself.
You should be able to see the butane squirting out the end of the tube in the tank.

twelvebears
13-06-2009, 20:24
That's exactly how I've been doing it and it takes AGES! I eventually managed to get it about 4/5 full but it took SO LONG. And I mean I was having to sit there for minutes at a time topping it up.

As I've tried two different refill cans, it makes me think I have got a bum valve on the iron, but as it obviously unscrews, I'm hoping to get a replacement.

Pity because as a soldering tool it rocks. Way better than any electric iron I've used and much more versatile.

I know the point in the tube you mean and it's not even a dribble. :-(

lovejoy
16-06-2009, 12:18
Avoid the smallest sized soldering tips if you can. I find that unless I keep the valve on as low a setting as it will go without it switching off altogether, the end drops off the tip in no time. The buggers have also got wise to this as you can't seem to buy single replacement tips anymore, or at least my local Maplin has stopped stocking them - You now have to buy a pack of 4 with various shapes and sizes - 2 of which you'll probably never use.

twelvebears
16-06-2009, 14:59
Tips aren't the problem, it's gettin the gas into the stupid thing that's killing me! :-(

alb
16-06-2009, 16:28
I think you need to return it to whoever sold it to you.
If you can't fill it, then it's not fit for purpose.

lovejoy
17-06-2009, 06:47
Yep, sounds faulty. I filled mine last night and it took no more than a couple of seconds.

twelvebears
17-06-2009, 12:14
Arse, had a feeling that was the case.

We'll I've e-mailed the guy on eBay that I bought it of, let's see if I get any joy.

Even if I don't and I've been stitched up (it was BNIB but less that half price), I'll defo buy another but from a mainstream source. Using a gas iron is SOOOO much better than electric ones that I don't know how I managed without before.