PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considering a new amp? Look no further.

Zoidburg
10-01-2014, 19:33
I just spotted this new amp and wondered if anyone on here is considering getting one (or maybe a few??) :D

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jan/10/125000-pounds-amplifier-naim-audio

Iv checked but I see no mention of the house / garage / palace I would expect it must come with for that sort of money.

walpurgis
10-01-2014, 19:49
Hmm, might order a couple of sets just to see what the fuss is about. I expect they'd be OK for the second system.

jandl100
12-01-2014, 09:07
A quote from that article ... "Making a Statement … that's £125,000 worth of amplification, right there"

Well, no, £125,000 is what Naim are charging for it, not necessarily what it's worth. :eyebrows:

Audioman
12-01-2014, 10:28
Do I get the feeling that the writer is taking the Michael out of Naim's claims? Their publicity comes over as some kind of technotwerpism with claims such as 'Did you know it is cut from a single piece of solid aluminium by a machine that has to be doused with coolant over several hours?'. Doesn't that apply to any metal milling operation? LOL. Now if they can't sell that many of their existing 'high end' amps these days how do they expect to sell this at the price? It will still sound like a Naim - no top or bottom end.

Haselsh1
12-01-2014, 11:42
I think we all know that current retail markup in the UK is around two point five times so I guess it is easy to see the true worth of this item. I make it around 50k plus VAT so what is its true worth in terms of materials I wonder. If you were to buy one of these you are getting a 50k amplifier and the rest you are giving to the dealer. It is a sad fact of life.

Clive197
12-01-2014, 14:00
I think you lot have missed the point. Naim are making a 'STATEMENT'. The idea is to demonstrate what they are capable of. I will put money on the fact that they do not really believe that any of us would actually go out and buy the amp.

BTW car makers have been doing this type of thing for years.

Clive

simon e
12-01-2014, 20:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6o-R8Qp5Ps&feature=player_embedded

Will have to go and have a look at the bristol show :)