PDA

View Full Version : Bake Off Section

User211
07-01-2014, 20:01
It's like, where is the bake off section, init?

I reckon if there was one it would encourage people to hold them... and be easy for people to see they are being held and hence go.

Sure this must have been answered before? Or not?

synsei
07-01-2014, 20:26
This is one of those Why the hell has no one thought of this before moments innit... :doh:

User211
07-01-2014, 21:12
C'est impossible. Surely...:mental:

MCRU
07-01-2014, 21:25
C'est impossible. Surely...:mental:

the "mod" ie marco probably said no!

Marco
07-01-2014, 21:34
Why would I say no to such a good suggestion?

I think it's a great idea! :)

Marco.

User211
08-01-2014, 20:48
Sorted then...???

Marco
08-01-2014, 21:14
We're having a discussion about where is the best place on the forum to put it. I'll let you know when we've decided :)

Marco.

Audio Al
09-01-2014, 07:05
We're having a discussion about where is the best place on the forum to put it. I'll let you know when we've decided :)

Marco.

Cant wait for this ,

I love making Bread and cakes :)

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 07:37

Marco.

And don't forget to name it something obscure and tenuous...

MartinT
09-01-2014, 07:58
"Bake off" isn't obscure enough already?

Marco
09-01-2014, 08:39
Lol - I think Mark meant something 'arty' (whilst simultaneously having an audio connotation), in keeping with the theme of the forum and how other areas are named.

In answer, Mark, I don't think that'll be necessary, as the bake-off section is likely to be incorporated into an existing area of the forum, simply as a 'sticky' thread :)

Marco.

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 08:53
Shame... ;)

User211
09-01-2014, 09:37
Well bake off is a bit of a Wamism. Anyone got any better ideas? Funnily I can think of lots of things that can prefix "off"...

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 10:37
Congregational Concours

Makes almost no sense (with added alliteration too), so should be ideal :).

Macca
09-01-2014, 12:56
Congregational Concours

Makes almost no sense (with added alliteration too), so should be ideal :).

Perfect :)

User211
09-01-2014, 18:03
Well it beats "kit off"...:D

Macca
09-01-2014, 18:38
Well it beats "kit off"...:D

That's even better!

StanleyB
10-01-2014, 10:33
My suggestion is to call it a Pishanto Harvest.

The Grand Wazoo
10-01-2014, 18:31
I quite like 'I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours'.

Effem
10-01-2014, 22:38
Group Sex.

Oh dear, wrong forum again :doh:

Effem
10-01-2014, 22:40

Marco.

Never mind about how many Irishmen it needs to change a lightbulb, how many days does it take how many mods to decide where to put a sub-forum :lol:

Marco
10-01-2014, 22:58
Lol...! It's going into the Welcome area, as a sticky. I'll sort it tomorrow :)

Marco.

Marco
11-01-2014, 10:47
Ok, guys, the new bake-off section/sticky thread has been opened in the Welcome area, see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?29837-OPEN-HOUSE-AoS-get-togethers-and-audio-gatherings

That is now where all news of AoS fests and get-togethers should go, so let's start having a few new ones! :cool:

Marco.

Floyddroid
27-01-2014, 20:05
I will bring some home made cakes if they turn out ok. As the late Johny Craddock once said "I hope your scones turn out like Fany's".

Floyddroid
27-01-2014, 20:08
:)

Barry
28-01-2014, 12:33
I will bring some home made cakes if they turn out ok. As the late Johny Craddock once said "I hope your scones turn out like Fany's".

I believe Johnny’s comment was “Here’s hoping your doughnuts turn out looking just like Fanny’s”.

Floyddroid
28-01-2014, 21:17
I stand corrected Barry.

RichB
26-03-2014, 11:59
Hi Marco,

I'd like to suggest the bake off section is somehow made more distinct, as it is all of the posts relating to any event (such as the NEBO4 thread started by Steve) are now all absorbed within with the get togethers section and it seems difficult to distinguish between events.

Would it not be better if we had an AoS get togethers header and then sub threads for each event? Kind of like we do with Album Club. That way a casual viewer could more easily see any possible events of interest.

Cheers

Rich

jandl100
26-03-2014, 12:33
^^ +1

The bake off / get together thread needs its own area on the forum with a separate thread for each event. :exactly:

Naughty Nigel
26-03-2014, 14:38
I realise this is slightly off-topic, but quite like the idea of doing a Bake Off.

However, I would need to find some way of distracting both junior and senior management, or better still, sending them away for the weekend.

I was listening to an organ CD last night, and was getting complaints about the 'vibration' being felt through the house. (It was actually the 32' flue pipes in a pedal solo section, which you tend to feel rather than hear.)

Why do ladies have no appreciation of these things? :(

Nigel.

MartinT
26-03-2014, 15:38
I've had the same complaints in years past about the 64' pedal in the Ruffatti organ at Davies Symphony Hall, creating vibrations that could be used for slimming, to comments of "what on EARTH is that noise?" :eek:

As you say, no appreciation.

Naughty Nigel
26-03-2014, 22:25
I've had the same complaints in years past about the 64' pedal in the Ruffatti organ at Davies Symphony Hall, creating vibrations that could be used for slimming, to comments of "what on EARTH is that noise?" :eek:

As you say, no appreciation.

Off topic again.

64' stops are few and far between. As far as I know there are only three in the UK: The Royal Albert Hall, Liverpool Anglican, and Hull City Hall. However, these are all 'resultant' or 'acoustic' stops, using a combination of a 32' and a 20' stop to create a beat frequency that sounds (or feels like) a 64' stop. The same technique is more commonly used to provide 32' stops on smaller instruments.

As far as I know there are only three 'full length' 64' pipes in the WORLD, although I could be wrong on that one. One is in Sydney Town Hall, and there are two in the USA.

Macey's store in Philadelphia reputedly has the biggest working pipe organ in the world, with (I believe) some 500 stops! If they had one of those in the Gateshead Metro Centre I might just take an interest in shopping!

Sorry to have jumped onto one of my personal hobby horses, but just in case nobody has seen this video from Macey's, click here to have a listen! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU) Audio quality from YouTube isn't brilliant, but it is worth a listen all the same! :)

Nigel.

Marco
26-03-2014, 22:44
Hi Marco,

I'd like to suggest the bake off section is somehow made more distinct, as it is all of the posts relating to any event (such as the NEBO4 thread started by Steve) are now all absorbed within with the get togethers section and it seems difficult to distinguish between events.

Would it not be better if we had an AoS get togethers header and then sub threads for each event? Kind of like we do with Album Club. That way a casual viewer could more easily see any possible events of interest.

Good idea, Rich. We'll add a sub-forum to the Welcome section, where the bake-off reports currently reside, and I'll drop everything into there. Leave it with me, and if it hasn't been done by this time next week (as things are hectic), feel free to give me a poke in the ribs! ;)

Marco.

RichB
26-03-2014, 23:34
Good idea, Rich. We'll add a sub-forum to the Welcome section, where the bake-off reports currently reside, and I'll drop everything into there. Leave it with me, and if it hasn't been done by this time next week (as things are hectic), feel free to give me a poke in the ribs! ;)

Marco.
Good stuff, cheers Marco!

MartinT
31-03-2014, 06:00
Macey's store in Philadelphia reputedly has the biggest working pipe organ in the world, with (I believe) some 500 stops!

Hi Nigel, I have a recording of the organ in the Atlantic City Convention Hall, which claims to be the biggest in the world.

From Wikipedia:

The organ has four entries in The Guinness Book of World Records including "Largest pipe organ ever constructed", "Largest musical instrument ever constructed" and "Loudest musical instrument ever constructed", and holds several records in the organ world. It is one of only two organs in the world to have an open 64' rank, and the only organ to have stops voiced on 100" of wind pressure. Its console features seven keyboards, called manuals ... It has 1,235 stops.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/OrgueAtlanticCityConventionAll.jpg

RichB
18-05-2014, 21:49

Marco.

Hi Marco, a friendly poke! Oooerr:lol:

Floyddroid
19-06-2014, 21:48
Here is one to be going on with http://progmeister.com/north-east-hi-fi-bake-4-set-august
"Bake off" isn't obscure enough already?