View Full Version : It's just not the same

Haselsh1
07-01-2014, 16:08
"It's just not the same on a computer screen"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25570039?SThisFB

Marco
07-01-2014, 17:33
Nice one, Shaun. Thanks for sharing :)

Long may this trend continue, and grow at an even faster pace! There's no doubt in my mind that vinyl will be very much part of our future, and will continue to become more and more popular, as long as mainstream buyers are made continually more aware of its presence.

Yes, diehard audio enthusiasts and music lovers, like you and me, will always buy it, but it's the ever-growing awareness of vinyl as a valid music format, by younger and more mainstream buyers, that will secure its future. On AoS, we will always champion the joys and wonders of vinyl records, turntables and all things analogue.

The only music format with a rather bleak future is CD!

:exactly:

Marco.

Macca
07-01-2014, 22:30
Cool never goes out of fashion. I suppose you could argue that reel to reel is cooler than vinyl but there's not much in it. No-one in the world would argue that an E-type Jaguar isn't a cool car, regardless of age, sex or political affiliation and I think it is the same with vinyl. I was laughed at 20 years ago for sticking with vinyl, now the same people come round and say 'put a record on'. Funny old world.

RichB
08-01-2014, 10:30
Its like the choice between a Big Mac or a home cooked meal...

Both stop you from being hungry, but one is far is more satisfying!

Haselsh1
08-01-2014, 11:18
You know, vinyl is irritating, annoying, niggling and downright bloody finicky but I love the sound and I love the whole technique of playing a record and approving of the artwork. If it were as convenient as CD or as superfluous as a download I doubt I would have any passion for it at all. I love it because it is complex and annoying, I love it because it demands a certain level of thought and care but most of all I love the gentleness and delicacy of the sound.

Haselsh1
08-01-2014, 11:27
And another thing; why do vinyl freaks play the whole album..? No track hopping and no getting pissed off. We just sit back, relax and listen. In fact most of us don't even know which track is which, we simply listen.

Stratmangler
08-01-2014, 23:07
And another thing; why do vinyl freaks play the whole album..? No track hopping and no getting pissed off. We just sit back, relax and listen. In fact most of us don't even know which track is which, we simply listen.

Would it have something to do with getting up and going over to the turntable?
As far as not knowing what track you're listening to, that's total bollocks in my opinion. If you don't know where you are then you're not paying attention ;)

Macca
08-01-2014, 23:27
The whole point of an album is you listen to the whole thing. I've always done that regardless of format, never used the remote to skip tracks on CD. I couldn't name the tracks on 90% of my albums.

Stratmangler
09-01-2014, 00:24
I couldn't name the tracks on 90% of my albums.

Could you tell if the order of track playback was incorrect if it were mixed up?
I can and do notice if it's an album I know reasonably well.
If you don't then you're not paying proper attention.

Marco
09-01-2014, 02:54
The whole point of an album is you listen to the whole thing. I've always done that regardless of format, never used the remote to skip tracks on CD. I couldn't name the tracks on 90% of my albums.

I have to say I'm with Martin, on both counts. I've always listened to whole albums, all the way through, whether it is with CD or vinyl. I detest track skipping, or simply seeking out favourite tracks on albums for playing - or worse - selecting favourite parts of tracks and not listening to the remainder of them (as, frustratingly, I've seen some folk do! :rolleyes:)

As for naming tracks, well, perhaps on some of my favourite albums that I've been listening to for years, but most of the time I won't have a scooby-doo what the title of the track is, or even necessarily the name of the album (other than if it is very well known to me, or the album is famous) - how could you possibly memorise all that if you have an extensive music collection? I have around 3500 records and CDs; if I knew the title of the track I was listening to on every album, my name would be 'Memory Man', not Marco!

However, what I am able to do, with albums I know really well, is look at the track listing, and from that, identify what my favourite ones are, should I wish to let someone else hear them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that if one of the tracks was playing, and if asked what it was called, at that stage I'd be able to name it...

Most of the time, particularly if I'm listening to music from artists I've only recently discovered, the title of the track (or even the name of the album) for me is of little interest, although it might be something that I pick up through time. Purely for identification and selection purposes, I'm more likely to remember the style of the artwork on an album, or the colour of the cover, than necessarily its title or the names of the tracks on it.

What *is*very much of interest is the style of the music, how much it engages me, and my emotional response to it, all of which for me are very important – and those are the sorts of things I concentrate on and remember most, not playing 'name that tune'...

Marco.

Marco
09-01-2014, 03:11
Could you tell if the order of track playback was incorrect if it were mixed up?

Yes, but only on albums I knew really well.

Marco.

Haselsh1
09-01-2014, 12:25

Agree entirely with you on that one. I am not interested in what a track is called or which one is playing. Because it is vinyl it just plays and I get up at the end and turn it over.

Barry
10-01-2014, 00:44
Interesting thoughts. Many years ago I astounded a fellow music and record lover (well actually it was only records in those days!), by letting him know that there were several LPs of which I would quite often only listen to only one side. Up to that point, he though one had a moral obligation to listen to the whole album each time it was played. My self confession came as a bit of an epiphany!

Haselsh1
10-01-2014, 09:23
Please check this out; could be another revelation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWzWcfqla0

Macca
10-01-2014, 12:54
Interesting thoughts. Many years ago I astounded a fellow music and record lover (well actually it was only records in those days!), by letting him know that there were several LPs of which I would quite often only listen to only one side. Up to that point, he though one had a moral obligation to listen to the whole album each time it was played. My self confession came as a bit of an epiphany!

Sometimes I will only listen to one side. But in my defence I do feel guilty about it. Also if the last track is a bit crap or is pure filler I'll skip it. Don't feel guilty about that as there is no excuse for filler.

tapid
10-01-2014, 18:22
I must be one of those rare people that do get up and skip a track on vinyl!